walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Soaked and dried three times over

Soaked and dried three times over

Postby Ghotay » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Route description: Am Faochagach

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 03/09/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

‘Which other wild souls tumbled pathlessly down the same hillside’

Woke to a glorious bright morning over the moray firth. Couldn’t help but smile. Took a **** in the woods, and had avocado and oatcakes with a banana for breakfast. Then... out west!

Set off late, relatively dry underfoot. A couple set off shortly before me, caught up to them at the river crossing just in time to see her throw their jack russel the last little distance. I found the crossing a little tricky to navigate, and was grateful for my trekking pole for stability. One slightly dodgy jump and I was across, feet dry! Overall, overhyped

The trek uphill was a little boggy but overall pleasant. Once I reached the plateau though an unpleasant squall passed over, briefly reducing visibility to zero and soaking my left hand side with the aggressive wind. It soon passed though, and I passed the couple coming the other way on the final approach to the summit. The views of Beinn Dearg were astounding - the fine corrie, craggy peaks, and sheltered lochan. Loved it.

At the summit the weather started to turn, with the wind somehow picking up even further. A stinging horizontal rain started up and re-soaked me. I got turned around more than once on my way down, and rather than continuing to the path down I cut across the grassy slopes, desperate to escape the wind, rain, and cloud. I emerged from the cloud fairly quickly, and though I was far from the path I was at least confident of my direction.

Eventually, after a long rough way down entirely soaked, the weather eased and shortly after I regained the path. The final section held lovely mild sun, I even enjoyed a brief run. Waded across the river on the way back - I couldn’t get any wetter - and then FINALLY back to the van.

Made good time at 5hrs considering the conditions. Felt like a year’s worth of weather in one walk. A quick wash then reparked the van on the loch for a wash, dinner, stove on, and a wee read...
Ghotay

Munros:115   Corbetts:12
Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland