walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wet walk with a happy ending

Wet walk with a happy ending

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:48 am

Route description: Garmony Point and Fishnish

Date walked: 02/09/2020

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 6.86 km

Ascent: 28m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_20200902_072620.jpg
Garmony Point
Continuing my mini series of short walks with no previous walk reports I set out from our hotel to the car park at Garmony.
It was a wet n wild morning and we were due to leave the island that day with my wife fearing that the ferry would be cancelled. Oh what a shame that would be :wink:
The main purpose of this walk was to go Otter spotting. With the wild coastline of Mull seemingly a great place to find them.
At the car park there is also a large picnic area and there where loads of greylag and Canada geese bathing in the water where the river meets the sea.
They must have thought I was getting too close and they all took off in a flappy, noisy spectacale.
I got onto the walk proper and scanned the rocks and water for any movement. Just Sea birds and hooded crows and despite the weather the views up and down the coast were a delight.
IMG_20200902_072620.jpg
Garmony Point

IMG_20200902_073112.jpg
Garmony Point 2

Of course the flowering purple heather adds a touch of colour and contrasts brilliantly with the green grass, blue sea and grey sky. Eventually the path leads through a pine, birch and willow forest. After walking through this for a short while and checking the route ahead I realised I wouldn't have much chance of seeing the shore much until my return. So as I sometimes do, I veered off the path, crouching low under the pine branches I managed to find my way down to the waterside again.
IMG_20200902_074342.jpg
Forest path

IMG_20200902_074721.jpg
Rocky shore

Walking conditions were OK although the rock was wet and there was plenty of room to manoeuvre along the way. At some raised points the waves crashed against the rocks and occasionally I had to dry off my specs.
As I passed the trees in the picture above I got a great fright as a large black shadow flew out from them and flapped it's huge wings as it rose in front of me. A White Tailed Sea Eagle! Couldn't believe it and lucky I had my camera on and shot away after my initial fright. It flew off inland before circling and came back and circled above me before gliding away back over the trees. Amazing!
20200902075713.JPG
White Tailed Sea Eagle

I had been out the day before with Mull Charters to see them so this wasn't the first I saw one, but for it to appear like that was brilliant. It could have just sat there and I would never have known.
I continued along the coast with no sightings of Otters but it was time to head back to catch breakfast.
I had to make my way through some ferns and short section of forest to reach the path again.
The return walk was uneventful, but I was happy and after a tremendous breakfast of oysters I eventually spotted an Otter while we waited to go on the boat.
20200902121244_1.JPG
Otter
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland