walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Sgurrs and a high camp from Glen Carron

Two Sgurrs and a high camp from Glen Carron

Postby mrssanta » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 26/08/2020

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1365m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was our first trip to the mountains since last October and little did we know how long it would be before we were back. Just two weeks after that trip I became poorly with acute hepatitis (where from I have no idea) and was off work for nearly a month. It took me a long time to recover from that, and needless to say I was unable to climb any hills for some time. Then Coronavirus reared its ugly head and we have of course been confined to our home area since mid-March. We are very fortunate/blessed/lucky/priveleged depending on your point of view to live moments from the North York moors; across the road, over the railway line, up through the woods and round the back of Roseberry Topping and you are there. So during lockdown I was able to get out for a walk at least three times a week in the woods and further afield, enjoying watching spring unfolding into summer. Meanwhile Rudolph has been re-laying the drive and building little walls in the garden so has kept fit by barrowing tons of stones and stuff around.
So now we are in August and at last we are able to get to Scotland and tackle some Munros. Having very few red balloons left in the "easy" category we decided to make a stab at the six fairly remote hills accessed from Craig in Glen Carron. We had a week and the plan was to walk first and end up with a visit to Rudolph's parents whom we had not seen since before Lockdown.
So this report is the first day of a four day three night expedition.

Track_26-AUG-20 202825.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forecast on the night before we left suggested that Storm Francis with 50mph winds blah blah would come in on the third day so we decided to swap round the family visit and head for the hills after Francis, when we read that there would be a settled spell for 4 or 5 days. Ha ha.
Anyway we set off from Deeside on Wednesday morning and arrived at Craig about noon. A sign in the car park said we were welcome to wild camp but we could not park overnight. I'm not sure how that works then! I suspect they were asking us not to sleep overnight in the car park. Anyway after some faffing we set off on our bikes across the road, over the railway line and up into the pinewoods. And it was up. The midges were fierce, I was too hot, I had no water (was expecting to pick some up from a burn but we had not reached any yet) and the track went uphill for EVER! Needless to say I was cursing the bright idea of Rudolph to bring bicycles at that point. I was very grumpy indeed, not being a keen cyclist and the last time I had been on my bike was when we went up Gulvain in October 2019. However I did manage to cycle some of that uphill track, probably only pushed the bike for less than half the hill. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
We stashed the bikes near the second wire bridge - the first wire bridge is for sgurr na Feartaig - and loaded the camping stuff into our rucksacks. We ate our lunch and cursed the midges. The wire bridge was fun. It is in good nick and after a bit of experimentation including landing on my rucksack in the water I discovered that the trick to success is to push the upper wire away from you and push backwards with your feet on the lower wire. That way you will stay vertical! Also it is a good idea to get onto the bridge at the end, NOT in the middle! As it happened the water level was fairly low and you could almost cross without using the bridge but where's the fun in that?
P8264412.JPG
Rudolph on the wire bridge

The lower part of the path has been newly restored and is obvious. After the first steep section the path climbs at a nice steady pace all the way to the Bealach Bhearnais where we dumped the camping stuff on the flat top of a nice moraine next to a big rock, and set off up to climb the two sgurrs.
P8264413.JPG
Looking back from Bealach Bhernais

P8264414.JPG
tomorrow's hills - first view

P8264416.JPG
contemplating the way up

P8264419.JPG
starting to get some views now

P8264423.JPG
moody sky, but a fine evening

P8264424.JPG
you can just see the top of the scary cliffs of Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich

P8264425.JPG
and zoomed out, tomorrow's three monsters!

P8264428.JPG
nearly at the top of Sgurr Choinnich now, with the ridge to sgurr na Conbhaire on the right

P8264429.JPG
a nice bit of cliff, and the second summit coming into view

P8264434.JPG
Rudolph on Sgurr Choinnich, with Sgurr nan Ceannachain behind, and then beyond that we could see the hills from Torridon round to an Teallach

P8264435.JPG
and me, behind me is sgurr a'chaorachan where we are going next

P8264437.JPG
and Rudolph on sgurr a'Chaorachan

P8264439.JPG
and me, looking west to where we are going tomorrow

It was a gorgeous evening with extensive views and we were treated to a beautiful sunset as we retraced our steps back to the tent, a promise of loveliness to come (or so we thought).
P8264441.JPG
Looking west from the top, with Skye in the distance

P8264442.JPG
over the top of Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich, with Eigg in the distance

P8264444.JPG
where we came from today

P8264446.JPG
looking down to Loch Monar

P8264450.JPG
we didn't take the stove up to the top but the Happy Mugs wanted a turn

P8264451.JPG
the north side of the Mullardoch hills

P8264452.JPG
the distinctive peak of Bidein a CS again with Lurg Mhor on the left and Bheinn Tharsuinn on the right

Back to the tent at about 8pm just before dark, we enjoyed our tea and went to bed.
P8264458.JPG
back at camp, sparkly water and Cuillin in the distance

P8264461.JPG
The Cuillin zoomed in

P8264462.JPG
Rudolph in the kitchen

Tomorrow's plan is for Lurg Mhor and Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich but that's another story.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Two Sgurrs and a high camp from Glen Carron

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm

Sorry to hear of your illness,but glad you are back on the mend. I saw absolutely nothing on this pair,so it's nice to see what they look like. Roll on the next installment.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm

Sorry to hear of your illness,but glad you are back on the mend. I saw absolutely nothing on this pair,so it's nice to see what they look like. Roll on the next installment.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Lovely walk. Sorry to hear about the Hep. Can take a while to recover from that so take care.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:18 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Sorry to hear of your illness,but glad you are back on the mend. I saw absolutely nothing on this pair,so it's nice to see what they look like. Roll on the next installment.

Thank you, grand to be back on a hill, but this trip fair took it out of me so I think there is still some work to do!
kevsbald wrote:Lovely walk. Sorry to hear about the Hep. Can take a while to recover from that so take care.

Yes indeed, I missed about a fortnight out of my life and quadrupled my entire sickness record going back to primary school. Not recommended!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland