walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maoile Lunndaidh - day 3

Maoile Lunndaidh - day 3

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh

Date walked: 28/08/2020

Time taken: 9.75 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 850m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Here we are on the third morning of our four day three night expedition to the Monar hills and the slow leak in my downmat has speeded up. Last night was not so comfortable probably because it was colder and despite having a closed cell foam mat under the groundsheet my sticky-out bones were not comfy. I did get enough sleep though, as we had gone to bed by 9pm or so, and we woke at 7am ready for another adventure. I was not particularly hungry after two heavy hill days but managed some crackers and tea for breakfast while Rudolph enjoyed his muesli with grapefruit juice.
We packed up the camping gear and set off down the hill from Bealach Bhearnais to retrieve our bikes and cycle up the glen over the watershed as far as Glenuaig Lodge. This is where the good track ends, but a grassy track goes down towards the river from next to the bothy/shed and we pushed our bikes down here to find a good soft camping spot and pitched the tent ready for later.

Track_28-AUG-20 181700.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P8284509.JPG
Striking camp

P8284515.JPG
and all pitched again ready for another night

We stopped here for about an hour and a half, had a brew and some food, and getting everything set up. My milk had curdled so I was onto herbal tea but this time I was prepared with fresh teabags in three different varieties, after memories of being in Fisherfield last spring with nothing but very elderly slightly foosty peppermint tea. I was still not very hungry but the weather was a lot better than yesterday and today's walk would be considerably easier since we could see where we were going.
We left the tent just after noon, crossed the river, which was very low, and set off across the tussocky bog in the general direction of where we thought we would be able to cross an crom-allt. There was no path and it was wet underfoot but since our boots were thoroughly soaked after yesterday it didn't matter.
P8284516.JPG
there's a lot of exposed bog wood hereabouts

P8284517.JPG
on our way - we are aiming for the right of the two gorges you can see in the distance, but first we have a burn to cross.

P8284520.JPG
an crom-allt, there are a few places to cross but it is in its own wee gorge much of the time.

From the crom-allt we headed on a rising traverse aiming for the right hand side of the gorges that came out of Fuar-Tholl. Again we didn't find any path but the occasional boot print was reassuring! I stopped every 10-20 minutes to eat something - mostly Grandma's date squares - but felt quite nauseous and not at all hungry.
P8284521.JPG
a rather magnificent caterpillar

P8284525.JPG
and a nice orchid

P8284528.JPG
getting closer to the gorges now

P8284531.JPG
and very gorgeous it is too - although I think photos of gorges often don't come out well

P8284532.JPG
another picture of the gorge, from above this time

There is a lovely corrie with a waterfall coming out of Fuar-Tholl Mor which we earmarked for a stop on the way back We didn't stop here on the way up but continued up the rough heathery slope out of the corrie - had we been about 20 metres to the left we'd have found a path up the edge of the gorge, but we couldn't see it from where we were.
P8284533.JPG
bonny waterfall coming out of Fuar-Tholl Mor

P8284534.JPG
early glimpse into the corrie of Fuar-Tholl mor

P8284535.JPG
bit of weather coming in, looking the way we came this morning and back to the corrie where we plan a stop on the way back, you can see the two gorges from above

P8284536.JPG
Lochan an Fhuar-thuill

P8284537.JPG
zoomed in, can you see the deer in the corrie?

The slope gradually eases as you climb and our zigzags became less zigzaggy. We stopped once out of the coire for a brew and unfortunately as I sipped my peppermint tea my stomach decided enough was enough with a bit of a retching episode - nothing really came up but after that my nausea was loads better but my throat hurt instead!
P8284539.JPG
Rudolph Chillin' You can see our tent from here, Sgurr nan Ceannachain on the right, Sgurr na Feartaig in the middle, and behind the hills between Strathcarron and Torridon which we have yet to visit.

P8284540.JPG
Looking north, the hills just east of Moruisg, tomorrow's target

From here it didn't take very long to the summit. I was enjoying looking at all the different plants on the summit area as I plodded, but the slope was easy enough that I did not have to keep stopping to take pictures! It had been quite a nice day up to this point, chilly, but clear. Unfortunately a wee cloud blew in as we reached the top, so there were no views to be had to the south, and we didn't stay long at the top as it was cold.
P8284544.JPG
and here we are on the top!

P8284547.JPG

We decided to retrace our steps the way we had come up and it didn't take long till we reached the top of the gorges leading into the lovely corrie, where we discovered the path we had missed on the way up.
P8284549.JPG
ooh look, a path!

We followed this path down to a nice grassy area with some rocks to sit on, where we stopped and made a brew and ate the most delicious instant custard with freeze dried strawberries which was amazingly restorative.
We followed the continuation of the path for a while but it went down the right hand side of the second gorge and we wanted to be on the left. However it was a worthwhile explore as it gave us a view of a beautiful waterfall where the burn out of Fuar-Tholl Mor tumbled into the gorge.
P8284550.JPG
a lovely waterfall from the wrong side of the gorge

We retraced our steps and found that this seems to be a common plan as a path led us over the burn above the waterfall and then disappeared again into the tussocky boggy hillside.
From here it was a straightforward bog-hop back to our tent in good time for tea.
P8284552.JPG
back at camp, looking East

P8284553.JPG
and West

P8284551.JPG
where we went today

P8284554.JPG
and up to the Lodge and the start of the path up tomorrow's hill
Last edited by mrssanta on Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Maoile Lunndaidh - day 3

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:55 pm

Nice to see that you had good weather this time. This is definitely an area I want to walk through, but it'll have to be over a few days, not the one-er I'd originally planned...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Nice to see that you had good weather this time. This is definitely an area I want to walk through, but it'll have to be over a few days, not the one-er I'd originally planned...

Definitely saves a lot of walk-ins and walk-outs to do them like this
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Still on my to do list, looks like you found a half decent way onto the summit, by all accounts the standard WH route is not the easiest way
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:37 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Still on my to do list, looks like you found a half decent way onto the summit, by all accounts the standard WH route is not the easiest way

Well it was boggy and tussocky but reasonably direct. It helps if you can see where you are going.
Sad that you had to postpone your walk. Take care x
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland