walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

That's Attow Do It

That's Attow Do It

by yokehead » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhada, from Morvich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 17/02/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1171m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: That's Attow Do It

Postby malky_c » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:54 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:
yokehead wrote:and to cry a little.

Yes, I cry too... everytime I read a bl00dy midweek report like this :evil: . Anyway, fabulous report on a hill that has always interested me despite not having been up it yet 8) .

:roll: :roll: Seems to be a Thursday thing this year. Don't worry, I've just written up a midweek report that restores the balance!

Loved this, will dfinitely repeat at some point. Great photos on the bad step - missed this out before for some reason.
8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Oldman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Brilliant report - informative and exciting. The reading of it kept me on the edge of my seat. Not a walk for the faint hearted like me but a real pleasure to read of it and join you there in spirit. Early in your report you mention 'diamond-sparkling snow crystals' - I assume these were suspended in the air. Given the conditions you describe - clear sky, calm wind and sub-zero temperatures, they were a phenomenon technically known as known as 'diamond dust' i.e. a suspension of tiny ice crystals in the air which shine like diamonds in the sun. These are most often reported in high latitudes and although they seldom affect visibility they can occasionally reduce visibility to as low as 600m. They probably occur quite often in Highland Scotland but are not often reported. During my career as a weather man I witnessed this phenomenon on a few occasions, the most noticeable and first time when I was an observer at Eskdalemuir Observatory in the bad winter of 1962-63. They are the most beautiful thing to witness. Thanks for the great report and pics. Safe walking.

Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby davidsda » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:01 pm

You have a way with words - truely enjoyed reading this.
davidsda
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby jester » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Cracking photos there :D
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby yokehead » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments folks. :)

Oldman wrote:Early in your report you mention 'diamond-sparkling snow crystals' - I assume these were suspended in the air. Given the conditions you describe - clear sky, calm wind and sub-zero temperatures, they were a phenomenon technically known as known as 'diamond dust'

Sadly, I was describing the more mundane (but still superb) effect of the sun on snow crystals on the ground. I'd love to see the diamond dust phenomenon and wonder if any WH readers have done so? Sounds as if it's even more elusive than the Brocken Spectre though. Photo of my version (camera doesn't do it full justice):

45.jpg
snow a sparkle

Hope you won't mind indulging me with a few more photos from the day :D

53.jpg
ridge cliifs

62.jpg
delicate cornice, animal tracks and blue yonder

75.jpg
zoom of Sgritheall beyond the northern 5 Sisters. Looks like it has a glacier.
Another must-do ridge - running in from the right then curving away from the camera - see Kinley's report

86.jpg
Torridon giants, also on the to-do list!

102.jpg
just me and the snow.......

110.jpg
1st part of the ridge

123.jpg
mid-way

168.jpg
swan song

Cheers all and enjoy your hill days, hope you get some more snow (sorry those awaiting Spring)! :D
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Klaasloopt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm

That's Attow do it indeed! You know I joined you in proclaiming the blessings of Fhada's western end, but boy, your report sure is energetic, enthusiasm well typed down. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland