walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A nameless hill in Glen Artney

A nameless hill in Glen Artney

Postby TheTortoise » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dearg

Date walked: 07/09/2020

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the first dry day for a while, and luckily on a Sunday so we didn't have to worry about stalking. We followed, more or less, the route described in the SMC guide from the Glen Artney car park. The Hare was disappointed to start by walking uphill along the road to get down to the bridge across the river, but it gave us a good view of the hill.
DSCN4218.jpg
View of the horseshoe ridge from the road

Once over the river, we turned left a bit too soon, going past Dalclathick Lodge instead of the higher house, but continued anyway along a grassy track and through a gate into tussockland (the bright green section in the above photo). We carried on along the track for a very short way before setting off uphill in the direction of the hill, picking our way between the tussocks for a disappointingly long time. There was one more fence to cross but the old wire was easier to cross than the patched up gate that we found. The ground improved as we got higher, but there were still quite a few sections with rushes. We went up slightly further westwards than if we had gone the suggested route, but the gradient was a little easier. No hags of great importance were encountered and we arrived at the first summit.
DSCN4220.jpg
Looking along the grassy ridges
Then on along and up a long grassy ridge, with numerous knolls to add to the interest.
DSCN4222.jpg
Looking over to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin, from near one of the knolls
We had our lunch at point 705 on the map, which has been resurveyed to 708 and is now the official summit of the ridge. Then we continued down and up over more knolls to reach Beinn Dearg.
DSCN4226.jpg
North to the Lawers range
Looking across at Mor Bheinn, it is interesting to see that our hill was covered in grass and Mor Bheinn covered in heather.
DSCN4225.jpg
Over to heathery Mor Bheinn
We set off down the long south ridge, which has an impressive drop down into the glen. We carried along this edge then dropped down, crossed a burn and continued along a further low ridge heading for the ford. Animal tracks often eased the way through the vegetation. I don't think we crossed at the ford but we were very close. Then more walking through rushes to find the stile over the wall, and round the forest to Dalclathick. If we'd up come this way, we would have got a track for a bit further uphill and possibly easier walking through the rushes. As we crossed back over the bridge, we saw a large notice asking walkers to keep to recognised paths (i.e. low-level walk down the glen) from Aug to Feb, and giving a phone number for Drummond Estates. We hadn't noticed this notice at all on the way out. Apart from the low-level tussocks, this was a good route and I'll put it on my list of hills that can be repeated.
Attachments
DSCN4225.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A nameless hill in Glen Artney

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:28 pm

It's a nice hill, whatever its name is - Creag na h-Eararuidh appears to be the one adopted for the new high point.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby TheTortoise » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:58 pm

jmarkb wrote:It's a nice hill, whatever its name is - Creag na h-Eararuidh appears to be the one adopted for the new high point.

Yes, though WH is not documenting this at the moment. And I was looking for a slightly interesting title.....
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:28 am

Apologies - your point was clearly too subtle for me!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby TheTortoise » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:45 am

jmarkb wrote:Apologies - your point was clearly too subtle for me!

Apologies for making you think that you had to apologise! I didn't think I was making a point. Will stop there before any more misunderstandings. Enjoy the hills.
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:07 pm

No problem!

TheTortoise wrote:Enjoy the hills.

You too!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland