walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime....If only I'd remembered the map!!

Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime....If only I'd remembered the map!!

by lomondwalkers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 17/01/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.25 km

Ascent: 1325m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime....If only I'd remembered the map!!

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:56 am

pollyh33 wrote:Well done you guys. My husband and I did these two back in September. We followed the directions given on WH which was to go straight up Ben Narnain! What a climb! Those gullies were a joy! At one point my husband had to shove my backside up through a really narrow gap, I was stuck!!!!

Cheers Polly :) Narnain via The Spearhead was a fabulous walk, if only I'd been sensible and called it quits after that, it would have been a great day out :lol: Looking back now, it was still a good day out, and a harsh lesson learned :)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 am

rockhopper wrote::lol: How many of us can say we've never been in that sort of situation....not many I'd guess 8)

To quote.....Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment..........but then again....If experience was so important, we'd never have had anyone walk on the moon. :lol:

Cheers Rockhopper :D Wise words indeed, though at the time, it was most definitely an experience my legs could have done without :lol: walking along the side of the a83 in the dark wasn't much fun on the mind either, thankfully I had at least remembered the headtorch :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:05 am

xpfloyd wrote:Nice report mate and glad you got back safe. I imagine everyone on here must have done something a bit silly at one point or another, I know I have. At least you fronted it up and like you say it may help someone else not make the same type of error

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, hopefully won't be doing anything quite so silly in future, all part of the learning curve I guess. I hummed and hawed about posting the report, but feedback from you guys has been been great :thumbup:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:15 am

tomyboy73 wrote:ha ha, so when are you going back up ben ime ? yeah, think we`ve all been there, but we should always remember, turning back is not a failure. I think half the time i`ve been out i haven`t completed what i`ve set ot to do. It`s always good to realise when enough is enough and head home while you still can

Cheers Tomboy. I've also been out a few times and turned back for various reasons, so not quite sure why I carried on this day. Will most definitely be back to Beinn Ime once the conditions improve. For now it's navigation practice (with map!!!) for me and building the confidence back up :)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 am

snodland wrote:Hello Lochlomondwalkers

The best phrase I saw in your very fine report was "Decided to plonk my ass on the soaking grass and compose myself". Often the best thing is to stop and think. Clearly - looking at the stream - you did.

Cheers Snodland. Thankfully it was the right move, and no harm was done. I don't mind admitting that I was pretty damn scared when I came out the clag and realised I was way off course. It was either sit and compose myself or have a hissy fit and cry for my mammy :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:23 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

as long as you're okay...

reflect an all that :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby robert bolton » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Great report mate, new to this myself doing it for about a year now, every weekend religiously and flying solo, been there got the t-shirt, I have done the winter skills course, and have all the correct gear,but experiencing something like this first hand is invaluable,I too have brushed up on my navigation after my little episode makes you appreciate what we have got in them mountains.cheers robert.
robert bolton
Munro compleatist

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Cheers Robert :) Definitely an invaluable lesson learned that day. Preparation is as much a part of a walk as anything else. The map and compass are now the first things packed, and at least my sub2000 tally is clocking up nicely now :L
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby walk aboot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Very worthy trip report, lomondwalkers, thanks for sharing :thumbup: .

I know two other walkers who, on separate occasions, both got unstuck there and had a long, long, long walk back to the car.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:40 pm

Cheers Walk Aboot :) All put down to experience, allbeit a bad one :lol: At least no harm was done. All part of the learning curve, and knowing your limits :)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:15 am

It's character building. We need these experiences to grow stronger and more capable. The hills have many lessons to teach us, but often we need to get it badly wrong in order to really benefit from the lesson. When I'm supervising kids doing their Duke of Edinburgh expeditions, I always hope that they will go wrong, and always allow them to do so, in the hope that they will realise and learn from it.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey Graham :)

Was almost character destroying on the day, but glad to say I'm back on the horse, allbeit on smaller hills for now. Good on you helping out the kids, I really wished I had kept it up from my old BB days. Easy to say now that I'm 39 :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Re: Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime....If only I'd remembered the m

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:49 pm

And finally......
Last edited by lomondwalkers on Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Holy smoke.....theres a warning for us all, glad it worked out well though, so often these things don't. Makes me feel better about my map reading/compass practice that I do on virtually every trip, even if its not required, just to 'keep my hand in'. Great report anyway and a good lesson for us all :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby JTweedie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Great to see reports like this! Not all trips to the hills work out as planned, and as long as you come out of them OK, they can teach you a lesson for next time!
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland