walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Staonach - a tiny slice of Torridonian heaven

An Staonach - a tiny slice of Torridonian heaven

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:38 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Staonach

Date walked: 16/08/2020

Time taken: 2.4 hours

Distance: 5.33 km

Ascent: 422m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following our incredible summit camp the night before, David and I were pretty drained (he from trying to climb too many hills the day before, me from stupid Covid) so we all had a lengthy lunch break.

We agreed an attempt on the small An Staonach could be a good idea – great views for minimal effort (hahaha)… We parked up at the bottom of the cliffs on the high point of the road back to Shieldaig and David spent ages faffing and showing off his bright green shoes. Eventually we were off – we skirted around the bottom of the cliffs trying to avoid any unnecessary downs. The views back were already amazing 8)

Malky and David lead the way – it was blisteringly hot and I was struggling

We gained height slowly and once we were on the top of the initial plateau the views really opened out. Beinn Damh, Maol Chean-Dearg and An Ruadh-Stac were looking splendid 8)

Sgurr a’ Gharaidh – our camp spot the night before

We had to trog around some annoying ups and downs which were both exhausting and soul-destroying each time they proved to be unnecessary :roll:

Soon we reached a big wall of cliffs – we could see it would be easily possible to work our way in between the layers of rock, but it looked pretty brutal :shock:

I was exhausted and wanted to stop, but every time I did the midges caught up with me :shock: However, the views down to Loch Shieldaig were stunning 8)

And looking the other direction to Beinn Damh, Maol Chean-Dearg, An Ruadh-Stac and Sgurr a’ Gharaidh

Finally at the almost-top we had a choice of lots of different summits. I declared that the one I was standing on was the one and I wasn’t moving any further (although after being fed a very melted chocolate bar and a drink of water I was persuaded to continue :lol: )

A distant Beinn Alligin

Panoramic shot of Loch Shieldaig to Ben Damh

Beinn Damh to Sgurr a’ Gharaidh and Loch Carron

I dragged myself across a few lumps and bumps towards the actual summit. It was so still that there were really impressive reflections on the wee lochans (and also swarms of midges :roll: )

Although the spectacular corries of Beinn Bhan were now in the shade, from this close they were still impressive 8)

Beinn Alligin

Looking across to the Culags hills

Summit of An Staonach

David having a nap

The Western Isles – not as clear as the night before!

Slabs and reflections

Beinn Alligin across a lochan

It was so hot and the idea of a good long break was a really attractive thought except for the midges….so after dancing around for a bit we headed off.

Looking across to Sgurr a’ Gharaidh again

We tried to keep a bit further south on our way down where the ground was a bit less steep. It sort of helped, and did also give us some slightly different views of Maol Chean-Dearg and An Ruadh-Stac

We made our way carefully down the steepest section – a few interesting downclimbs but nothing too awkward. As we looked back up it was hard to believe how we managed to get down :lol:

We tried to avoid the worst of the extra ups and down by keeping right. David went the opposite direction for reasons unknown :lol:

A last glimpse of the biggies before we drop further down

We met back up with David as we started dropping down the final steep section

It was a struggle to drag myself the last short distance to the car but finally I was there. Sgurr a’ Gharaidh was still looking very impressive 8)

Back at the car I was relieved not to have to walk any further. David found some chocolate which we ate, and there was a little water left. I threw the keys at Malky and told him to do something about driving us home :lol:

Turns out it was a bit too much for me as the next 3 weeks were a bit of a wipe-out… Such is the reality at the moment sadly :roll:

activity_5395229213.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: An Staonach - a tiny slice of Torridonian heaven

Postby Sgurr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Nothing can beat the Torridonian views (except....except...except). Lovely pics.

Last Sunday R took 3.5 hours to climb a hill that took me 1.5 hours at the end of a day including 6 other hills, so this Covid is not to be put back in its tin too easily...tho' a mending hip may have had something to do with it in his case.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Seeing all those pictures makes me want to head back to Torridon... Such an amazing area, even the little hills
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Jaxter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Sgurr wrote:Nothing can beat the Torridonian views (except....except...except). Lovely pics.

Last Sunday R took 3.5 hours to climb a hill that took me 1.5 hours at the end of a day including 6 other hills, so this Covid is not to be put back in its tin too easily...tho' a mending hip may have had something to do with it in his case.

There are so many amazing places in Scotland aren't there! I have to admit Torridon always tops my list 8)
You are right - but at least he's getting up something, frustrating as it is. Is the hip fully mended now or still niggling? Hopefully by the time hip is better the tiredness might have started to subside...

Mountainlove wrote:Seeing all those pictures makes me want to head back to Torridon... Such an amazing area, even the little hills

Absolutely - my favourite! 8) 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Beautiful photos, and a lovely reminder of the joys of little hills, thank you :D :D . Hope you are soon fully recovered from Covid. :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 pm

That looked good for a short wander - as is so often the case, some of the best views are from the lower hills. Fingers crossed that your recovery gets back on track soon - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:33 pm

Sgurr wrote:Nothing can beat the Torridonian views (except....except...except). Lovely pics....

Indeed! That's the trouble with walking in God's own country (though a bit of superb weather does help!).

Really sorry to hear about the long-lasting after effects of the Covid - there does seem to be some good news though, in that a bit of recently published research suggests that it does eventually get better. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Beautiful photos, and a lovely reminder of the joys of little hills, thank you :D :D . Hope you are soon fully recovered from Covid. :D

Thanks - I think things are slowly improving but it keeps going in waves so much it's often hard to tell... Little hills are great aren't they - I've always loved how the small ones give the best views of the big ones, but I really miss being able to walk along a good ridge! :(

rockhopper wrote:That looked good for a short wander - as is so often the case, some of the best views are from the lower hills. Fingers crossed that your recovery gets back on track soon - cheers :)

Absolutely - always been a fan of the wee ones (just not aaaall the time!!) Thanks :D

Alteknacker wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Nothing can beat the Torridonian views (except....except...except). Lovely pics....

Indeed! That's the trouble with walking in God's own country (though a bit of superb weather does help!).

Really sorry to hear about the long-lasting after effects of the Covid - there does seem to be some good news though, in that a bit of recently published research suggests that it does eventually get better. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks - I'm trying really hard to stay positive, at least I can do something (there are some still at the months in bed phase, whereas I seem to have left that in the past) but it's very difficult after all this time, especially when we have nice weather and Malky buggers off on big hills and big cycles I can't manage :( :(
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Anne C » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Hope you are soon fully recovered Jaxter - it must be so frustrating for you. Always enjoy reading about your adventures.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby Jaxter » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:02 am

Anne C wrote:Hope you are soon fully recovered Jaxter - it must be so frustrating for you. Always enjoy reading about your adventures.

Thankyou! Apparently patience & time, as well as looking after myself is what I need, which is a shame because I'm rubbish at all of them :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland