walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Which way would you choose to reach Mount Keen?

Which way would you choose to reach Mount Keen?

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:04 pm

Route description: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 22/07/2020

Distance: 30 km

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I lived in Dundee it was a no brainer. You would reach Mount Keen on foot from Glen Esk. The last time was in 1996 with my sons and a group of friends when I wrote in my log I forgot to apply sun screen to legs and ended up with sunburn above sock level, the line of which lasted all summer. I don't remember much about the summit except that the path up to it was a bit loose and eroded.

After moving north I'd not have considered a return to Mount Keen except that Moira had never done it and fancied going in from Glen Tanar. I'd been in Glen Tanar on family holidays when the kids were young and remembered it as a bonny glen... so it was put on our to do list and the day for it came in July when the forecast was good in the east. What we hadn't twigged was that very few approach Mount Keen on foot from the north. We only came across one other group who walked in, everyone else we saw had cycled. A couple set off on their bikes a few minutes before us and we met them again as they left the summit so it didn't seem to have saved them a huge amount of time, or perhaps they cycled very slowly.

WH gives 27km for this route but we clocked up 30km. This was because the car park at the end of the public road was blocked off due to covid so we had to park at the lower car park. The benefit of that was a large bottle of hand sanitiser and paper towel available for walkers' use which was a thoughtful touch.

So we had an extra 1.5km of road walking before we reached the end of the public road where the WH directions start and it was only when we passed the cottages with the turret I felt we were properly on our way.

Turreted cottages
IMG_9759.JPG

It's a good track and easy to follow and we could see the attraction of doing it by bike. We passed a small lake on our left and soon caught sight of the River Tanar which we would cross a few times by bridge as we progressed up the glen.

IMG_9761.JPG

River Tanar
IMG_9762.JPG

At one point large slabs of rock had been worn smooth by multiple centuries of running water.

Sculpted rock
IMG_9763.JPG

I remembered the half-way hut from a previous visit but due to covid the door was barred.

Half-way hut
IMG_9764.JPG

A beautiful morning
IMG_9765.JPG

It was quite a long time since breakfast so once clear of the woods we looked for a place to sit down for a snack. But the path was lined with prickly gorse so it wasn't easy to find an unprickly spot.

IMG_9766.JPG

When we did stop we were overtaken by a group with a dog, who were the only other people we saw doing this stretch on foot. We played leapfrog with them a couple of times along the way.

Other walkers
IMG_9767.JPG

It was good to finally get a glimpse of our target hill and as we got nearer it was more of a sharply conical summit than I expected, from memories of doing it from Glen Esk.

First sighting of Mount Keen
IMG_9768.JPG

This section of the route was very pleasant, easy walking on a good track as we meandered alongside the Tanar with bright clumps of bell heather and ling heather just beginning to bloom.

River on right
IMG_9772.JPG

Attractive old bridge
IMG_9771.JPG

River on left
IMG_9773c.JPG

Soon we could see the winding path climbing up towards the summit which on a day like this made navigation very easy. And just incase we weren't sure, there was a signpost to keep us right, which looked a bit out of place in such a remote spot.

IMG_9774.JPG

We saw a couple of tents on the green grassy area before the wooden bridge and a number of bikes stashed in various places. So this was the point cyclists would begin their walk.

Wooden bridge
IMG_9775.JPG

To begin with the bulldozed track was rough underfoot but soon developed into a well made path with steps and drainage channels, which in time should enable the eroded area to recover. It reminded me of a similar eroded section on the approach to Beinn a' Bhuird.

Starting to climb now
IMG_9778.JPG

In case you're in doubt
IMG_9777.JPG

Since the blue sky and white clouds we had earlier, the sky was now filled with thick cloud, but thankfully high enough not to obstruct the views back to Glen Tanar. Some ominously dark cloud too and a cold wind had picked up.

IMG_9779.JPG

Excellent path
IMG_9780.JPG

Staircase
IMG_9782.JPG

IMG_9784.JPG

IMG_9785c.JPG

Upper Glen Tanar
IMG_9781.JPG

Zoomed west to Lochnagar
IMG_9786c.JPG

It was cold and started raining so before reaching the summit I stopped to put on gloves and an extra layer. The top was busy which was not surprising given the number of folk we'd seen on the way up. I immediately looked for a sheltered spot and found a rough wind shelter east of the summit, but I suspect by the tissue littered around it was used for purposes other than shelter. So we hunkered down on the rocks just below the summit instead.

Lunch spot at a surprisingly rocky summit for the most easterly Munro
IMG_9788.JPG

There were so many folk around we had to wait our turn to get a photo at the trig point and when we did there was a grumpy old bloke with a fancy camera eyeing us pointedly and saying he wanted a photo before it started raining again. A bit off-putting and not the laid back atmosphere we're accustomed to around summits.

New Munro for Moira
IMG_9787c.JPG

New approach for me
IMG_9452.JPG

A number of folk had come up from the Glen Esk side, the way I came the last time. One guy had brought his bike right up and I wondered if he planned to do a through route to the north. My friends Rob and Mary had approached from Ballater which is what Donnie Campbell did part way by bike. But that made sense for him as he was including the Lochnagar five, ending up in Glen Doll that day. For me I was happy with the Glen Tanar approach, with its excellent paths and the heather blooming and so far we'd only had a little rain.

View north from summit
IMG_9790.JPG

The descent was straightforward and led us back to the ford which we didn't cross but continued along the bank to the wooden bridge.

The ford
IMG_9791.JPG

We had our final break sitting on the wall of a ruined dwelling from a time when the upper part of the glen was inhabited. A clump of trees by the river and a level grassy area were signs of those days.

Last stop before the long walk out
IMG_9792.JPG

Last blink of sun before the rain
IMG_9793.JPG

Last sight of Mount Keen
IMG_9794.JPG

Not long after that last photo the rain came on in earnest and continued for the next two hours. At one point on our weary trudge we were passed by young guys on bikes and at that moment I saw very clearly the attraction of doing it that way. We finally reached the car and would have loved to have gone into Ballater for a hot drink and bite to eat before the long drive home, but we could see nowhere that was open and even if there had been I'm sure under covid rules we would have had to pre-book. That aside we were delighted that after months of lockdown and not travelling more than five miles for exercise we had been able to do a walk that had been on our radar for quite a long time.
Last edited by dogplodder on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Which way would you choose to reach Mount Keen?

Postby KatTai » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:13 pm

Only ever done Mount Keen from Glen Esk, mainly because I live not far from Glen Esk. I keep thinking I should try from Glen Tanar.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 am

The walk from Glen Tanar looks lovely, met a guy last time I was up who was camping in the forest on the way up...
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:14 pm

I did it from Glen Muick - a shorter but wilder approach that required a bit of navigation. Apart from the final ascent it felt much less of a tourist path and I remember a very pleasant stop by a stream crossing where i watched an Oystercatcher.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:40 am

We had nearly identical conditions when we walked this route, including the flowering heather. Glen Tanar is lovely. Shame it's so far from home.

In my mind some mountains have gender, not all of them but certain ones are male or female. Mount Keen is definitely a gentle lady :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:05 pm

we climbed Mount Keen twice on consecutive days back in 1985, when we were engaged. I had a new tent and wanted to try it out. We cycled up Glen Tanar, dumped the bikes at the end of the track, walked over to Glen Esk. I discovered overnight that the knots on the guyropes of my tent were too small, it was a windy night and several of them pulled out of the holes in the clips. Returned the following day. I have a picture of Rudolph with a box of chocolates which we carried with us and polished off when we got back to the bikes.
I think I liked Glen Tanar better.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Lovely pics - as an ex-Dundonian I've been up Mount Keen several times, but always from Glen Esk and always when it was blown' a hoolie. The Glen Tanar route looks very attractive, so might :roll: try it on an not too windy day :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby gld73 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:13 pm

I walked it from Glen Tanar too, I guess it's the logical start point if you live up north, saves the extra drive! A couple of cyclists passed me on the way, and although I'm not a cyclist, I do remember thinking even I'd be able to cycle that track, it was so flat and in good condition. Plus if I'd cycled I might have been able to escape the cleg onslaught...

On the plus side, Glen Tanar is the only place I've ever seen a capercaillie in the wild ...
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:48 pm

Not sure I'd recommend my way :crazy: :roll: Walked round the Lochnagar 5 munros plus the corbett in the morning/afternoon. Nice evening so I walked to Mount Keen from Glen Muick. Should've taken a tent but didn't. Came back in the dark via a big detour as I didn't fancy the return route through all the peat hags in the dark - back to the car a little after 0200hrs. 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:15 pm

KatTai wrote:Only ever done Mount Keen from Glen Esk, mainly because I live not far from Glen Esk. I keep thinking I should try from Glen Tanar.

We got Keira at 8 weeks from a gamekeeper in Glen Esk, so have fond memories of the day we drove to pick her up, although not the easiest place to reach from Inverness.

IMG_20180912_111834-large.jpg

I don't remember much about the Glen Esk route to Mount Keen except for passing the Queen's Well. I think you'd like Glen Tanar. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm

Mountainlove wrote:The walk from Glen Tanar looks lovely, met a guy last time I was up who was camping in the forest on the way up...

It's a lovely glen with good camping just before the wooden bridge. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:08 am

Phil the Hill wrote:I did it from Glen Muick - a shorter but wilder approach that required a bit of navigation. Apart from the final ascent it felt much less of a tourist path and I remember a very pleasant stop by a stream crossing where i watched an Oystercatcher.

Might have considered this approach if I'd realised it was a viable option - a shorter distance though as you say requiring more navigation. :)
dogplodder

Postby KatTai » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:02 pm

dogplodder wrote:
KatTai wrote:Only ever done Mount Keen from Glen Esk, mainly because I live not far from Glen Esk. I keep thinking I should try from Glen Tanar.

We got Keira at 8 weeks from a gamekeeper in Glen Esk, so have fond memories of the day we drove to pick her up, although not the easiest place to reach from Inverness.

IMG_20180912_111834-large.jpg

I don't remember much about the Glen Esk route to Mount Keen except for passing the Queen's Well. I think you'd like Glen Tanar. :D

Might pencil in an ascent from Glen Tanar with Zena while Moss is taking time off, I did want to go that way the next time but Mount Keen has sort-of became a traditional first Munro and the Glen Tanar approach is on the long side for a new dog :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:53 pm

BlackPanther wrote:We had nearly identical conditions when we walked this route, including the flowering heather. Glen Tanar is lovely. Shame it's so far from home.

In my mind some mountains have gender, not all of them but certain ones are male or female. Mount Keen is definitely a gentle lady :D

I'm intrigued now to know what your criteria is.... :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:59 pm

mrssanta wrote:we climbed Mount Keen twice on consecutive days back in 1985, when we were engaged. I had a new tent and wanted to try it out. We cycled up Glen Tanar, dumped the bikes at the end of the track, walked over to Glen Esk. I discovered overnight that the knots on the guyropes of my tent were too small, it was a windy night and several of them pulled out of the holes in the clips. Returned the following day. I have a picture of Rudolph with a box of chocolates which we carried with us and polished off when we got back to the bikes.
I think I liked Glen Tanar better.

On a first quick reading of this I picked up that Rudolph had proposed on Mount Keen... and you had a box of chocolates to celebrate! :lol: :lol:
dogplodder

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland