walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Day 4 - Moruisg and cycle out

Day 4 - Moruisg and cycle out

Postby mrssanta » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Date walked: 29/08/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 770m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Over the past three days we had climbed Sgurrs a'Choinnich and Chaorachan, Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhor, the Corbett Beinn Tharsuinn, and Maoile Lunndaidh, and were camped overnight not far from Glenuaig Lodge, ready to climb Moruisg the next day.
We got back to our tent last night in plenty of time for Rudolph to have a recce of the start of the stalkers path up Moruisg while I slobbed in the tent and studied maps. It is not where it is marked on the OS 1:25,000 map or indeed the 1:50,000. The best way up is to head straight up from behind the bothy/shed next to the lodge where you can cross the burn on rocks and reach the first zig of the path.
During the night my downmat again went flat pretty quickly and Rudolph was generous enough to swap mats with me when I went out the tent at 1am. So I got a good sleep anyway.
P8294555.JPG
Early morning from camp, looking east; what will the weather do?

P8294557.JPG
Looking toward Glenuaig Lodge from camp

P8294558.JPG
and looking west

We had considered doing the circuit of Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannachain and coming down by the stalkers path to Pollan Buidhe, but after the exertions of the previous few days we decided to go for the straight up and down which would allow us to get back to Deeside at a decent time and give us a day to air and dry the equipment before heading home.

Track_29-AUG-20 155759.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We had some concerns about where to get water en route but needn't have worried as the Allt a'Chlaiginn had plenty of water in it where we crossed it, although this water all disappeared under rocks by the time it reached the glen floor. The wee burn on the map just East of it (unnamed on the map) did not have any water in it. This is the second time in the past two years that a burn on the OS map has proved to be empty of water, thus disproving my long held theory and adding to the uncertainty in my life. This burn looked like it has not had water for some time from the plants growing in its bed.
P8294565.JPG
ah, no water, and wood sorrel growing

After stashing the bikes and the camping gear near the lodge, we set off at a little before 9am.
P8294559 (2).JPG
looking to the Lodge and over to the Sgurrs from where we crossed the burn above the Lodge

P8294560 (2).JPG
looking like it might turn out to be a lovely day

P8294561 (2).JPG
Maoile Lunndaidh

P8294562 (2).JPG
again looking to the Lodge.

P8294563.JPG
zoomed in you can see evidence of old LazyBeds or Rig and Furrow cultivation on the glen floor. The higher we got, the more of them we saw

P8294564.JPG
must have been a hard life growing crops in this glen

Anyway that zigzag path is WONDERFUL and rises at a nice steady gradient up the steep slope all the way to 750m where there is a cairn. It then stops abruptly. From this point the gradient eases considerably and the ground is boggy but easy enough going. We were disappointed when just after we crossed the burn for the final climb the cloud came in and it became quite cold and wet.
The big cairn is NOT the summit, there is a much smaller cairn some way to the south west which looks like it is hardly trying.
P8294566.JPG
disappointing weather on the top

P8294567.JPG
but never mind, another blue balloon to add to the collection

P8294569.JPG
I would have liked a view of these cliffs....

I'm sure this would be a great place on a gorgeous day but we didn't hang around. We decided to find a sheltered spot next to the burn to stop for lunch on the way down, and found one at about 800metres, stoppping at about noon, and just in time the sun came out. For a wee while it was lovely and warm in the sun as we brewed up our rice pudding (have I mentioned how lovely a hot pudding is in the middle of a walk?) but then the rain came on heavily and we cracked out the bothy bag and finished our oatcakes and butter inside its pink glow.
P8294570.JPG
nice sheltered spot

P8294571.JPG
a grassy bank to sit on and a flat stone for the stove.

P8294572.JPG
add some happy mugs!

The rain soon stopped and it was quite fun finding the top of the path (visibility was good by this stage, the cloud was confined to the summit) and then bouncing down it at a good rate.
P8294573.JPG
back on the stalkers path and the tops out of the cloud again, good view of where we went yesterday

Back at the lodge we had a rest, a snack and chat with various people and marvelled at the number of bikes that were out today. We sorted our gear and set off for the cycle out, passing many more bikes at the side of the road, including a ladies' road bike which much have taken some skill on the track.
The cycle out was really fun; I had not realised on the way up that we had been going very gently uphill much of the time so that there was really very little effort needed to cycle back.
P8294575.JPG
Just at the start of the long downhill back to Glen Carron. We have yet to explore the hills on the other side of the glen but they look like fun

P8294576.JPG
and again

The last downhill stretch though I did find quite scary and my wrists were beginning to ache from gripping the brakes! Any passers-by would have heard me shouting "Praise the Lord" when we finally reached the flatness and crossed the River Carron. The cycle out took us a little under two hours including stopping to pick up some rubbish that we had hidden in a pannier at the place where we had stashed the bikes on the first day.
We stopped at the Friary fish shop in Beauly (expensive but excellent) for our tea, their smoked fish cakes are superb and highly recommended by me. Rudolph, as usual, had a haggis supper, something that you can't get easily in Englandshire.
So that's another six ticks on the Munro bagging list, (no ticks of the biting kind thankfully) another selection of midge bites, and another collection of memories and photographs collected. See you next time.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Day 4 - Moruisg and cycle out

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:20 pm

I've enjoyed all your reports on your recent trip north, but this one gave the photos of a hill we didn't see :roll: :roll: , done before retirement and the leisure to choose the weather for our hill walking so it was done in thick clagg :( , perhaps one day I'll go back, at least its just down the road from where we retired to :D .
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Stevenp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:37 pm

I too have enjoyed your reports mixed with a mild feeling of guilt. I now live only a few miles from Achnashellach and have done most of those hills this year however being able to choose the day and return home to a non deflating bed is very different from camping in a small tent and taking what ever the weather gods provide. I'm impressed at your perseverance particularly as the midges seem intent on taking over the west coast this year. The hills on the other side of the glen are great and I look forward to reading of your adventures when you return.
Stevenp
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:13   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:25 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:I've enjoyed all your reports on your recent trip north, but this one gave the photos of a hill we didn't see :roll: :roll: , done before retirement and the leisure to choose the weather for our hill walking so it was done in thick clagg :( , perhaps one day I'll go back, at least its just down the road from where we retired to :D .

Thank you. we left it till last in this trip, just in case we had to bail, as it is also accessible from the north, saving the long walk/cycle in again. But I really liked this way up.
Stevenp wrote:I too have enjoyed your reports mixed with a mild feeling of guilt. I now live only a few miles from Achnashellach and have done most of those hills this year however being able to choose the day and return home to a non deflating bed is very different from camping in a small tent and taking what ever the weather gods provide. I'm impressed at your perseverance particularly as the midges seem intent on taking over the west coast this year. The hills on the other side of the glen are great and I look forward to reading of your adventures when you return.

Thanks. We also carry closed cell foam mats that go under the groundsheet for protection and are a back up in case of deflation situations. We once had to do field repairs on my downmat after the kitten had used it to bounce on. That was in sub-zero temperatures, so quite important. Unfortunately this time it was a really slow leak so we had to wait till we got home and put it in the bath to find the hole. It's repaired now and ready for another adventure.
No need to feel guilty though, we just happen to live a long way away and have to plan holidays in advance. Roll on retirement!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland