walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Bhac and Windy Camping - honour restored!

Carn Bhac and Windy Camping - honour restored!

Postby mrssanta » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 26/10/2011

Time taken: 22.5 hours

Distance: 21.4 km

Ascent: 960m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

People: Me, husband, daughter.

carn_Bhac.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After the problems we had on Schiehallion last Saturday where we got soaked and didn't get to the top, we were determined to get out for a wild camp and bag at least one Munro during our week in Deeside. The important criteria were not too long a walk in or out for little legs, and not too much bog as the boots had barely dried out. the MWIS showed there might be a bit of a window of good-ish weather on Wednesday so off we went.
After several days of heavy rain there was quite a lot of mist in the valley in this view across to Aboyne and up towards Glen Tanar
PA260075.JPG
Morning in Aboyne

After a wee stop in Braemar to buy a handkercheif for a small nose, and a quick detour to see all the rainwater tumbling through the Linn of Dee, we set off from the car park at Inverey about 11.30am, following the track up the East side of the glen. the track up the west side does not continue very far up the Glen Ey and the bridge shown on the OS map at NO086884 no longer exists. It's not shown on the Harveys map which my husband has.
PA260087.JPG
lower part of Glen Ey

This was an excellent track which we followed almost to the ruined croft at Auchelie. Before reaching the croft we struck off up the hillside to our right and cut off the corner, joining the track which climbs the shoulder of Carn nan Seilach and leading to a point just about a mile from the bealach between Carn Bhac and Carn Creagach, where it stops all of a sudden
PA260103.JPG
going up the field to meet the track

As you can see the weather was not really brilliant, but in comparison to what we've had it was great!
here are some more pictures as we go up and look about.
PA260089.JPG
our path for the way down. Carn Bhac in the distance

PA260105.JPG
sun breaking through

PA260096.JPG
detour to the colonel's bed, didn't look too comfy

PA260106.JPG
looking up Glen Ey

As I mentioned, the track stopped all of a sudden and within a few yards there was no trace of a path across the moss and hags.
PA260117.JPG
The Track to the Bog

some more nice boggy pictures
PA260116.JPG

PA260118.JPG

and I believe this is where a hare had just been sitting.
PA260119.JPG

heather which can't quite believe it's time has past
PA260120.JPG

and some amazing lichen with orange tips
PA260122.JPG

and lots of toadstools, these ones particularly gorgeous
PA260101.JPG

It was a real struggle getting across that bog and it took us the best part of an hour. we stopped on a peat hag at the bealach for lunch, before the final push to the summit, and boy was it worth it. the sun finally came out and the views were tremendous.
PA260138.JPG
summit panorama

PA260125.JPG
Ben Avon with its hat off at last

PA260132.JPG
looking over to Carn a' Geoidh

PA260145.JPG
Looking down Glen Tilt from Geal Charn

PA260143.JPG
looking north towards Lairigh Ghru

We then set off along the ridge towards Geal Charn aiming eventually to go home via the track down by Allt Cristie Beag, but having planned to camp as high up as we could. The path along the ridge was pretty good, with just a couple of boggy bits on the lower sections. We were going like a train along here and I have to confess struggled to keep up with the little one, although she had only a day pack and hubby and I both had big rucksacks.
After a quick detour for drinkable water just off the ridge a bit, we decided to camp at about NO035857. We were almost at the point at which we would start to descend and it would probably be getting rather dark by the time we got to the next flat bit. We pitched the tent in double quick time and I have to say beautifully with no creases whatsoever and pegs in every possible attachment point!
PA260149.JPG

A sudden shower of rather heavy rain had come on about 15 minutes earlier and the wind got up a little, so daughter and I snuggled inside the tent and got all the beds ready while good old dad made the tea at the tent door. Thank the Lord for freeze dried meals!!
PA260147.JPG
evening sun on ben Avon and beinn a'bhuird

Well it was soon dark and after a game of saying a word related to the previous word but not to the one before that, (it must have a name but I don't know what) we all found ourselves rather drowsy and dropped off.
The wind made a lot of noise, increasingly so, and we all woke at about midnight, but all was well. At about 4am husband decided that the waterproofs had better go inside rucksacks, in case the flysheet blew off - we didnt fancy walking home without them! At 6.30am it was still quite dark but apparent that the wind was going to get the better of the tent before too long; my boots were already outside as one of the pegs had pulled out on the flysheet - so we started stuffing gear into drybags and were able to creep out at first light and strike camp. the tent was lifting quite dramatically, one guy rope had come detached, and one peg point had gone altogether!
not much picture-wise here, too busy stuffing wet stuff into bags and getting off the hill. but actually it was a really lovely walk down the track alongside Allt Cristie Beag and Allt Connie, where there is a pretty little gorge with larches growing out of the rocks
PA270161.JPG

Back to Inverey by just after 10am and we were rewarded by a lovely rainbow over the Dee as we drove back to Aboyne and our second breakfast! thank you Grandma
PA270169.JPG
rainbow over the Dee
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Carn Bhac and Windy Camping - honour restored!

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:34 pm

good work with that tent. pristine!

We took the long way on the land rover track, when I was out here. I wish I took that route up Carn Bhac when we walked out as it was rotten; thankfully we got a cracker on the way back. :shock:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:40 pm

This route is in the file for a winter trip (A93 snow allowing...). That is a strange pic of Aboyne - looks like an alpine village :) . As for the toadstool and heather pics - have you been taking report writing lessons from Kinley :lol: ?

Cheers - enjoyed that :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mrssanta » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:good work with that tent. pristine!:

thanks, was quite proud of that!
LeithySuburbs wrote:This route is in the file for a winter trip (A93 snow allowing...). That is a strange pic of Aboyne - looks like an alpine village :) . As for the toadstool and heather pics - have you been taking report writing lessons from Kinley :lol: ?

Cheers - enjoyed that :) .

I think a good hard frost will make it a lot easier.
glad you enjoyed it
I'm flattered, Kinley's pics are pro jobs, mine are just luck!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland