walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a' Chreach 2nd solo walk

Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a' Chreach 2nd solo walk

Postby David Lyall » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 01/11/2011

Time taken: 7.3 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1244m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After all the rain of recent days the forecast for today looked promising, I arrived at Achaladair Farm shortly after 9am, I decided to follow the advise and go clockwise heading for the bridge across the Allt Ur and cutting back down to join the track After about a couple of kilometres crossing the Tulla at the ruined Tom na Grobh farm.

Beinn Achaladair 006.jpg
old bridge at ruined farm

Following the track for another 2k until the rickety footbridge come into few.
Beinn Achaladair 012.jpg
old footbidge with Beinn Achaladair in the back ground

Once across it was time for a tea break, then following the track through the forest this fades away and the ground becomes boggy. Once under the railway bridge there is a track up the side of the deer fence then it follows the burn, I crossed this further up and headed up the grassy slopes to the left of some rocks. Once onto the ridge I headed left to the Summit of Beinn a’ Chreachain just shortly after 12am.
Beinn Achaladair 040.jpg
me at the top of Beinn a' Chreachain

I headed for Beinn Achaladair and stopped for lunch at a sheltered spot looking over Lochan a Chreachain.
Beinn Achaladair 044.jpg
Stopped hear for lunch, looking down on Lochan a' Chreachain.

Beinn Achaladair 056.jpg
close to the top of Achaladair looking back towards a' Chreachain

The best part of the walk was the walk over to the second summit with good paths free from boggy ground. The views all round were good looking over Rannoch Moor, up towards Glen Coe, down to Victory Bridge all goods stuff.
Beinn Achaladair 058.jpg
top of Achaladair

Once at the top I headed of following the path which took me eventually to the bealach, once there headed down the quite good path which unfortunately later on turned into a bog fest, if I had known how bad it was I may have been tempted to take a more direct decent of the mountain, I know it would be steep but that last part of the walk was not much fun. Got back to the car about 4.30 just about half an hour before the sun went down.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a' Chreach 2nd solo walk

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:17 pm

Great effort David, some nice pics in spite of the weather. This lone walking thing gets quite addictive doesn't it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby David Lyall » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Ye it's nice to get away and go at your own pace once in a while :D
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Great report David, looks like a good day out :D

Haven't ventured up that way, is it a long walk in?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland