walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello

Hello

Postby frank » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:39 pm

Hello from a new member. I'm 56, live in very flat Bedfordshire (though born and grew up in Cumbria), I started doing the Munros only in 1996 (having graduated from the Lake District hills). I only manage to get up to the Highlands for around one week per year, so I'm SLOWLY climbing the peaks.

83 so far, so I have a few under my belt. I doubt I'll ever reach the magic 284 though! I started off with a few mates, but over the years and for various reasons they've dropped out and I usually walk solo now.

The site seems a great idea to keep an online log, make new 'virtual' friends perhaps and exchange information/chat.

frank
frank
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:1

Re: Hello

Postby zebidee1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Hello Frank, welcome along.

:D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby monarchming » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Hey Frank and keep marching,you will get them!
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby skuk007 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:55 am

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the site - I am quite new to it also and have found it useful in preparing my first Munro walks, which start tomorrow.

I too live a long way away so am expecting to be old and grey when I get to my last one - but we will get there!
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Cuil Lodair » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:43 pm

Welcome along, Frank.
I suppose you'll get all the Munros done a lot quicker now that there are only 283......! :)
Cuil Lodair
Munro compleatist

Munros:91   Corbetts:76
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi and welcome... I started off slowly like that... but then frustration got the better of me and I now visit Scotland an increasing amount of times per year! :D Granted though, I'm only in Yorkshire...
mountain coward

Postby yokehead » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi Frank

I'm a wee bit south of you in flat Hertfordshire. Actually that's not quite true, it's not totally flat, I live on a hill at altitude 109m and the river valley is way down below at 60m. Years ago when I bought a duff used car that wouldn't start in the mornings (car was parked in the open at the end of the garden next to a field) the duff garage said it was because 'the wind was whipping across the prairie-like high ground plateau'. They don't know what real weather is like, they've obviously not been to Scotland. Anyway, I digress.

Welcome to the site, 83 Munros is a great haul so just keep chipping away and enjoy. Besides, it's being on the mountains that's most important, not just the number bagged. Like you, distance from Scotland is a problem for me so not so easy to get there regularly. My plan is to move there when the kids have left home (2 kids, will get rid of one in a year and the other will be booted out 2 years after). Then the way will be clear. However, I haven't gone through this plan with my wife yet (she likes mountains and walking but likes a bit of warmth as well, we look at the UK weather forecast regularly and the overall picture isn't great for my plan where warmth averages are concerned). A bit of work to do there I fear.

Probably not until January that I'll be in Scotland next, can't wait!

Cheers :)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:04 am

yokehead wrote:Like you, distance from Scotland is a problem for me so not so easy to get there regularly. My plan is to move there when the kids have left home (2 kids, will get rid of one in a year and the other will be booted out 2 years after). Then the way will be clear. However, I haven't gone through this plan with my wife yet (she likes mountains and walking but likes a bit of warmth as well, we look at the UK weather forecast regularly and the overall picture isn't great for my plan where warmth averages are concerned). A bit of work to do there I fear.

The outer islands were always pretty warm when I lived there - well at least ambient temperature wise... the wind was b*** cold though and cut right through you! Never froze though, except perhaps one day a year.
mountain coward

Postby Ann Young » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi Frank

If you're planning a move up here you should consider Inverness, it's always warmer here than the T.V weather forecasts predict and there's lots of nice hills within easy travelling distance (providing the roads aren't blocked by snow in winter).
Your wife could enjoy spending all your money in the Eastgate Centre and there are some really good outdoor gear shops (my personal favourite is Craigdon). The only downside to living here is the parochial attitude of some of our
citizens, but even that has been changing for the better over recent years. :)
Ann Young
Hill Bagger

Postby frank » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the welcome replies – what a friendly bunch you are!

Hello, skuk007 – I feel old and grey now!!

As Cuil Lodair pointed out, there’s only 283 now, but of course Sgurr Nan Ceanniachean was one of the ones I’d done, so I’m no better off (aargh, only 82 now). Why can’t they demote a couple from my ‘To do’ list??

I completely concur yokehead, it is being out there on the tops that counts - but you can’t help coveting those ticks once you get the bug. Actually my ‘flat’ bit of Bedfordshire is on a hill (I use the word hesitantly) of a whole 45 metres altitude – the oxygen up here is sooo thin. Our plan was always to move back up to Cumbria, so I would be a lot closer.

Yes Ann, Inverness is very pleasant, we’ve popped over a couple of times on days of rest and recuperation. I think most places tend towards the parochial, everywhere has a downside!

Thanks again for the welcome.
frank
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...