walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello

Hello

Postby Stewart » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi folks,my name is Stewart.I'm what you might call a "used to be kinda guy"..10 years ago my wife and I were very keen walkers but after a back injury I kind of got out of it all..Nowadays I am a bit overweight but pretty fit cos I swim most days and walking any distance with a big pack on is probably not a good idea.Maybe more in my head than in my legs.Recently I have got the bug again but only on the computer..
I have been a bit taken aback at the changes in equipment since I last looked.Everything seems to be different nowadays so I may need to invest some money in new gear.So far I reckon my tent and boots need replaced and I have (almost) settled on the Hilleberg Akto tent.Research on boots seems to be more problematic though.It seems that nobody wears the big brown leather walking boots anymore.These new fangled shoes that look like trainers seem to be all the rage these days.10 years ago I would have been appalled at the sight of these thing but everyone seems to be wearing them these days...I nearly bought a pair of North Face Hedghog shoes the other day but I have read some bad reports about them and also,I cannot bring myself to believe that they actuall work..Do they keep your feet dry?Do they give support?..
I'm just new here so I am about to trawl thru what looks like a great forum and maybe return to ask some questions in a few days..Many thanks...

Stewart.
Stewart
Scrambler

Re: Hello

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:01 am

You shouldn't need to carry a big pack unless you're camping or bothying... I never carry more than a lightweight 'bumbag' type pack and have all the emergency gear I would ever need plus any other essentials. You could always go for the bumbag type of pack too (although thery are difficult for men to wear as they don't have a narrow waist and broader hips so it can keep sliding down). But they put the weight squarely on your hips and legs and don't affect your back at all.

Welcome to the site anyway - hope you do manage to get up something...
mountain coward

Postby Ann Young » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Hello Stewart

I am a backpacker and bothier, currently laid up with a broken wrist courtesy of a drainage ditch I forgot was outside a bothy! Like you I have back problems but have found that by getting more lightweight gear I am still able to get among the hills I love. Go for it! You will find that you can do more than you thought yourself capable of. :)
Ann Young
Hill Bagger

Postby gillhowatson » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:05 am

Hi Stewart
I too have only joined this site and have found everyone really friendly so welcome from a fellow newbie. I am quite new to mountain walking and each time I go out, I think of another item that I need. The money all adds up but I have found online shops such as Outdoormania.com to be reasonably priced. There is a whole section in the forum dedicated to gear and I have found the comments from users really helpful.
Best Wishes
Gillian
gillhowatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby sloosh » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:32 am

Hello. :)

Scarpa or Meindel - great leather boots. ;)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi there and welcome to the site!! I'm a recent convert to hill-running shoes, have been wearing Inov-8's which are really comfy like slippers but they have worn out very fast.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby zebidee1 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Hello there Stewart, welcome along.

:D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...