walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Postby fatal6ert » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 04/11/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 810m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Up early on Friday off . Driving over the Cairn o Mount as sun was rising it looked as though I would have clear kies all day (alas not the case as once into Glen Mark clouds rolled in from the West). Avoided suicidal Badger and huge numbers of pheasants on drive in.

Parked at Invermark car Park. Last time I was here was when passing through on the penultimate day of the TGO 2011 (that day coming through Glen Lee from Gelder Shiel bothy) so it was nice to be back with a different route in mind. Followed the route to Queen's Well with Charlie the dog in the lead (this walk is around the limit of her range now as she's getting on a bit) and in bright sunshine. As climbed higher unfortunately the cloud came down to around 700m and summit had a pretty strong cold wind. Typically on the return journey the cloud lifted clear of the summit as I reached the car park. Still a good day out on a fine and unseasonably warm late October day.

Wildlife in abundance - loads of Grouse on the hill plus a group of Deer and a Heron along the Water of Mark. Suspect the Osprey may be off back to Africa by now.
Attachments
IMG_0167.JPG
Coming Down
IMG_0171.JPG
Summit in cloud
IMG_0164.JPG
If its good enough for Queen Vic
IMG_0158.JPG
3 Boundary (or other) marker in Glen Mark
IMG_0157.JPG
2 Water of Mark
IMG_0154.JPG
Start of the walk leaving Invermark
fatal6ert
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:7
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Postby gary » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Nice report and pics. meaning to do this soon myself, be happy if I get weather like you did
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland