walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane and Beinn Ime and back in time for Motorhead

Ben Vane and Beinn Ime and back in time for Motorhead

Postby pigeon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Ben Vane

Date walked: 05/11/2011

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1580m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today,s plan was Ben Vane on it's own but with the weather forecast as good as it was i was keen to try and get another hill in but Ian was in a hurry to back in time to see Motorhead ,"dinny worry Ian plenty time ,it will be a piece of cake" :lol: So a wee bit earlier than usual we set off to tackle ben vane with ben ime thrown in for good measure
008.JPG
loch lomond and ben lomond at 7 am
011.JPG
looking promising
Off and running for half 7 and the forecast looked spot on .Enjoyed ben vane ,Ian moaned about the false tops but we were up in about 2 hours 15 mins
019.JPG
looking back to ben lomond
020.JPG
low clouds chasing us up the hill
022.JPG
023.JPG
028.JPG
030.JPG
scrambly bit
035.JPG
ian and jake on ben vane
033.JPG
jake goes for a paddle
037.JPG
braw
It was a steep wee climb with some scrambly bits but it was the big drop down and then climb up to beinn ime that was on our minds now
038.JPG
over to beinn ime
040.JPG
cobbler on the right and narnain on the left
W e made our way carefully down the slippy grassy slopes to the low point (LAG UANIE)between vane and ime,think you must drop about 450 metres here and then about another 500 back up :(
044.JPG
steep slopes down from ben vane
046.JPG
Lag uanie ,the low point between the hills
Had a wee breather here and then slogged it up to the glas beleach
049.JPG
at the beleach
The clouds rolled in here and we began to wonder if the forecast was going to let us down but by the time we got to the top of beinn ime it was fine again and great views were had all round
054.JPG
ian and jake ,beinn ime
057.JPG
Had seen no one all day till we got on to beinn ime where there were a few people ,spoke to a young fella and his dad,young one was telling me about all the munro's he had done(think he was about ten ,so well done young man)while Ian rabbited on with the boy's dad about Motorhead and some other mad punk bands that am far to young to have heard of :lol: And then after briefly thinking about tackling ben narnain it was back down the valley through the trees to the start
059.JPG
vane from ime
060.JPG
spot the brave man on the cobbler
061.JPG
the way down
So back at the cars after 7 and a quarter hours ,quite a climb today but we were well pleased that we got the 2 hills in ,even had time for the usual refreshment at a pub whose name escapes me,it's in tarbet.So there you have Ian would have been back in plenty of time for Motorhead ,no sure he'd be doing much jumping about though :lol:
Attachments
066.JPG
name that pub

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Vane and Beinn Ime and back in time for Motorhead

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Nice report and cracking pics of the clouds coming in below. Im heading to Ben Vane in the morning for my first munro since April

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby pigeon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:04 pm

xpfloyd wrote:Nice report and cracking pics of the clouds coming in below. Im heading to Ben Vane in the morning for my first munro since April

Eddie
It might be the smallest munro Eddie but it's a steep wee climb ,really enjoyed it today,forecast is good for tomorrow as well :thumbup: You'll enjoy it am sure
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:12 pm

You've got some great pics there - love the cloud inversion ones! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby weescotsman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Been looking at Ben Vane and Ime as a doubler as well..... looks very do-able, maybe not as fast as yourself though. Doing Vorlich tomorrow, forecast looks good but we shall see..... plenty reports to mull over today...... aiming to get to 50 before I stop for a winter break............... 5 to go.
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Well done Pigeon!! You did it. Looks like you had a wee bit of everything. Can't decide which photo I like best....the one of the chasing clouds or the one of the deer (it just looks a bit **** off with you)

Great report, sorry dont recognise the pub- shame on me!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Some great cloud inversion shots there pigeon - looks like you had a very enjoyable day. Interesting to combine these two rather than Narnain and Ime - makes for a good walk. Very misty all down Loch Lomond again today but clearer further north. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby steven65 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:11 pm

It was a good day out for it Pigeon , we met briefly as you came off Ime & we were going up - i had Oskar my standard schnauzer with me , albeit on his lead - sheep , only 8 of them but he saw them - pesky varmints.
You said something about the dog with you being fiert from sheep ??
Anyway after Ime we continued and did the cobbler too , so a full day out for us taking in Narnain too.
Tomorrow is a day off so hopefully Glen Lyon ?
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:17 pm

nice report.

I must revisit Ben Vane in Winter.

Motorhead?

I'll send you some minimal German techno :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:47 am

The replica of the walk I done the other week. Except I had nothing but torrential rain, that walk out was horrid in the rain :(

Great report though mate and well done on the slog up from the valley to Beinn Ime, its rotten :(
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Nice looking day :)

I see you managed to get a decent photo of Lemmy's warts too...oh wait a minute...

060.JPG
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Cheers Rockhopper and dogplodder ,was a great weekend to be oot and aboot
malky_c wrote:Nice looking day :)

I see you managed to get a decent photo of Lemmy's warts too...oh wait a minute...

060.JPG
Aye ,can see what you mean Malky :lol:
SouthernUplandKing wrote:The replica of the walk I done the other week. Except I had nothing but torrential rain, that walk out was horrid in the rain :(

Great report though mate and well done on the slog up from the valley to Beinn Ime, its rotten :(
Had a look a your report SUK ,looks like you had a rough day in more ways than one :lol: it,s quite a slog right enough and if we had weather like you did Ben Vane would have been enough for us :thumbup:
dooterbang wrote:nice report.

I must revisit Ben Vane in Winter.

Motorhead?

I'll send you some minimal German techno :D
Looking forward to that dooter :lol:
steven65 wrote:It was a good day out for it Pigeon , we met briefly as you came off Ime & we were going up - i had Oskar my standard schnauzer with me , albeit on his lead - sheep , only 8 of them but he saw them - pesky varmints.
You said something about the dog with you being fiert from sheep ??
Anyway after Ime we continued and did the cobbler too , so a full day out for us taking in Narnain too.
Tomorrow is a day off so hopefully Glen Lyon ?
Well done Steven ,you done great getting the Cobbler in as well,we thought about narnain briefly but probably a bit much for us ,Jake the dug would have made it no probs though :lol:
pollyh33 wrote:Well done Pigeon!! You did it. Looks like you had a wee bit of everything. Can't decide which photo I like best....the one of the chasing clouds or the one of the deer (it just looks a bit **** off with you)

Great report, sorry dont recognise the pub- shame on me!!!
Stiil can't remember the name of the pub either Polly,it's starting to do my head in,it was more a restaurant than a pub and used to be a church i think,great being able to side outside and take in the rays in november :lol:
weescotsman wrote:Been looking at Ben Vane and Ime as a doubler as well..... looks very do-able, maybe not as fast as yourself though. Doing Vorlich tomorrow, forecast looks good but we shall see..... plenty reports to mull over today...... aiming to get to 50 before I stop for a winter break............... 5 to go.
Seen your vorlich pics on facebook Brian ,looks like another great day,was going to go out again on sunday but hazel put her foot down big time :( Sure you'll make it to 50 nae bother :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland