walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blue Sky and The Lawers Range Complete

Blue Sky and The Lawers Range Complete

Postby Del246 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 740m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after reading Lomondwalkers report last week it reminded me that I had these two Munros still to do to complete the Lawers Range. It also reminded me that it can also be a very boggy walk, so I came up with a cunning plan ! I would wait until a clear spell of weather and for it to be very cold in the hope that the ground would be frozen ! Today was that day. So I hoped.

After a very foggy drive up which delayed me, I arrived at Lawers just after 8 this morning to catch sunset over Loch Tay.

DSC01917.JPG
Sunset over Loch Tay

I managed to get the last parking space ( there is only room for 3 cars ) and set off from the large cairn. I decided to follow several WH members route and head to Meall a` Choire Leith first.

DSC01918.JPG
Starting point cairn with Lochan na Lairige in the distance

DSC01921.JPG
Lochan na Lairige

After the cairn I set off and my plan was working well. There was frost on the ground and it was quite solid but it didnt last long ! About 20 minutes in there was a large area of bog that was unavoidable. I was doing great until my pole collapsed under me ( my fault, I hadnt tightened it enough ) and in I went ! just above both knees ! Brill. I then got back on track and soon got a good view of my first target Meall a` Choire Leith.

DSC01925.JPG
First look at Meall a` Choire Leith

After 1 hour 30 I was on my first summit and the views were great, lovelly blue skies.

DSC01930.JPG
Meall a` Choire Leith summit

DSC01927.JPG
Views from the 1st summit

DSC01933.JPG
Looking to An Stuc

From here there is a good path to follow to the 2nd Munro. I must admit I really enjoyed this section, it was a nice wide ridge walk to Meall Corranaich.

DSC01938.JPG
Ridge walk to second Munro

Walking along the ridge, one side was green and the other was still covered in frost.

DSC01939.JPG
Following the ridge to Meall Corranaich

As I was getting closer to Meall Corranaich I had a look back along the path.

DSC01942.JPG
Looking back along the ridge to Meall a` Choire Leith

As I approached Meall Corranaich the views were great, in particular I loved looking to Meall nan Tarmachan with Ben More and Stob Binnein in the distance.

DSC01943.JPG
Looking to Meall nan Tarmachan with Ben More and Stob Binnein in the distance

I was soon on the summit of Meall Corranaich. That was all the Munros in the Lawers Range complete.

DSC01948.JPG
Summit of Meall Corranaich with the Lawers Range in the background

The views were great. I doubt if there will be a better day in November for hill walking.
I then started to meet alot of people doing these hills although I was the only one going clockwise.
I then followed the fence posts back down to the car.

DSC01951.JPG
Following the fence posts back down to Lochan na Lairige and the car. Meall nan Tarmachan in the background.

I was then back at the car in under 4 hours. Before driving off I had one last look back up to Meall Corranaich from the car.

DSC01955.JPG
Looking back up to Meall Corranaich from the car.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Blue Sky and The Lawers Range Complete

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:20 am

Fantastic Derek!!!

Isn't great when a plan comes together!!! Your patience paid off and you have fabulous photos to prove it!!

Well done that boy! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Del246 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:17 am

Cheers Polly. This is a good one for this time of year when daylight is short.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Fudgie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:29 am

The day before, I was on Ben More and it was very difficult to see where you were yesterday with the fog staying over the loch for a large part of the day. I'm thinking about this weekends walk so I'll keep in mind your advice about it being good for short days.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Well done derek on finishing lawers. What a day it was yesterday. Some fog driving up to it.
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Nice report and set of pics Del. Good use of a cracking little window of weather. I could probably have spotted you if I had squinted from my route on Meall Ghaordaidh and Beinn nan Oighreag. What a cracking day it was - I could hardly believe it was November! Maybe that was our summer! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Del246 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Fudgie wrote:The day before, I was on Ben More and it was very difficult to see where you were yesterday with the fog staying over the loch for a large part of the day. I'm thinking about this weekends walk so I'll keep in mind your advice about it being good for short days.

Also remember dry and/or frozen days !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:19 am

rocket-ron wrote:Well done derek on finishing lawers. What a day it was yesterday. Some fog driving up to it.

Glad you had a good day to Ron. Your not joking about the fog, it was like that the whole way from Glasgow.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks Graeme. How was your hill ? Im going to try and do it before the year ends.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland