walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a ghlo, swirling cloud and bi planes

Beinn a ghlo, swirling cloud and bi planes

Postby paul2610 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:19 am

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 07/11/2011

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Do not know why but as I drove down the A9 on a -5 cold early Sunday morning to atholl, unheeded by any cars (a miracle) I was feeling guilty. Guilty of nothing in particular, just the usual married man stuff , of me going off for some fun while the family are stuck at home sort of guilty. It could be that just because today was the first in many months when it did not rain or was very windy but then again my days of taking them places does seem to be over, as they would rather ‘hang’ with mates then parents now. It is the ‘Can’t live the parent’s day’ I am really waiting for, feels like it will never arrive. But back to the guilt stuff, don’t know if anyone else ever feels it, but if today was guilty day for all walkers then I saw at least another 20 odd cars around parked in the going munroing places, so I guess I’m not totally alone.

And right now your thinking – he’s weird isn’t this supposed to be a route report – and yes you’d be right it is so on with it. the walk is of a great 13 mile 1,200m odd ascent walk near to atholl going over the beinn a ghlo mountain.
Overall a great day, apart that is from the first two Munros which were covered in cloud – they were not as I approached them, only covered while I was on them (hence the guilt – cloud was retribution stuff). However, saying that as I carried on along the wide ridge the swirling of the cloud from those peaks created some fantastic scenes (as seen in photos). The large amount if height gain was due to their being narrow low passes between each, which rather added some spark to the whole thing. Usually my old knees can cope with one climb, and then tend to cry with agony if I try more but today they feel OK (back at home) despite running down one of the ascents!

Not much else I can say about this days hike really, hoping that the photos say much more, but the long return path is very boggy, I mean Very boggy. Not very wet but more like the consistency of cement mix – horrible stuff. Oh and should not forget the views – those that I did get were far and wide to the cairngorms and Ben alder (before the cloud that covered these peaks started growing) and down into the deep and narrow glen tilt – have to return there one day. Plus I guess the appearance of a bi plane flying around was quite unique – came from the direction of glenshee. Almost forgot as well the specters or whatever their called that appeared below me, of me like the grey man of Ben Macdui – sort of looked really neat in real life.

paul2610
Hill Bagger

Re: Beinn a ghlo, swirling cloud and bi planes

Postby Chrisabelle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Saw a plane similar to that on Sunday when walking on Kings Seat hill, Dollar. also saw a hot air balloon in distance. Took a photo but balloon looks like a smudge!
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:19 pm

Some stunning photos here :D :D :D :D :D :D Love the way the cloud seems to drape itself over the hills :D :D

And that is a boggy path back isn't it :lol: :lol: You just have to love it :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dooterbang » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Guilty pleasures are aloud....woman love chocolate :shock:

Nice round of hills these.

I sympathise with the long walk out - although i ran it when doing this :wink:

Well done.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby paul2610 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 am

run, run you say - how the heckles did you run it - I was only walking and fell over twice - scratched my hand, the left one, funny thing is it was my right which got scratch on the last walk - I wonder whats next?

Cheers for the guilty hint - but problem with choclate is that unless your a vulture in our house, its all gone in 5 minutes - I'm sure that the modern nose is specifically tuned into it!
paul2610
Hill Bagger

Postby magicdin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:41 pm

On two of the times I went over Beinn a'Ghlo I also saw the biplane
I believe it comes from Strathallan Flying Club
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Torridon_snails » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Great mist photos - particularly when there's a thin layer just round the ridges - beautiful!

All the best,

Daniel and Clare
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Clach Liath » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:17 pm

paul2610 wrote:Do not know why but as I drove down the A9 on a -5 cold early Sunday morning to atholl, unheeded by any cars (a miracle) I was feeling guilty. Guilty of nothing in particular, just the usual married man stuff , of me going off for some fun while the family are stuck at home sort of guilty. It could be that just because today was the first in many months when it did not rain or was very windy but then again my days of taking them places does seem to be over, as they would rather ‘hang’ with mates then parents now. It is the ‘Can’t live the parent’s day’ I am really waiting for, feels like it will never arrive. But back to the guilt stuff, don’t know if anyone else ever feels it, but if today was guilty day for all walkers then I saw at least another 20 odd cars around parked in the going munroing places, so I guess I’m not totally alone.

Too true mate. I am with you on this. The only one who comes with me willingly now is the dog. :( So I say s*d them they don't know what they're missing - especially when you get days like the one you had. :D

Great photos.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby get out and climb » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Great report 2610 kinda inspiring me to have a go at this trek got a few days off work so will have plenty time to recover .
jist have to chech the weather through the week got a feeling theres going to be alot of snow ....
get out and climb
Rambler

Munros:36   
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland