walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane - 06.11.11

Ben Vane - 06.11.11

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2 Hrs 15 Mins up
1 Hr 45 Mins down

With Sundays good weather forecast and pigeons walk report from Saturday, my mind was made up that I was going to head to Ben Vane. This was my first outing since April due to work and bad weather so I was looking forward to getting back into it. On Saturday night I got all my gear ready and with the hope of seeing a nice inversion the next morning I packed my camera and tripod too.

I set of at 6am on Sunday with the intention of being a good bit up the hill before the sun came up. The drive to Inveruglus was crazy with the fog but even so I was parked by 6:45 and on my way. I followed the familiar route through the padlocked gate and along the access track past the pylons, across the bridge and started making my way up the hill. By this point I was out of the fog and was getting great views back towards Loch Lomond.

About an hour into the walk I stopped for a breather and set up the tripod to get a shot of the sun rising from behind Ben Lomond. Tripod set up, camera attached, swith it on "NO CF CARD"!!! flashing at me :twisted: . It was at that point that I got the horrible sinking feeling and remembered that I had left the memory card lying beside my PC the night before. What a numpty! Luckily I had my camera phone with me so at least id have some memory of the great views I was getting.

In a bad mood with myself I continued on with the views getting better and better the higher I got. I got to the top at 9am and decided to have a seat and a bite to eat to take it all in. On the way back down I was really struggling at times with the steepness. I had felt it tough going on the way up at times with what felt like 45 degree slopes but it was even harder going the other way. My lack of hillwalking over the last 7 months was starting to show. When I got back to the access track the fog was alot further inland than before. It was alot busier too. It felt like a coach full of people had came through the padlocked gate as I was approaching it.

Without a doubt the best views I have experienced so far hillwalking. After the minor set back with the camera (and the fact I lugged an extra 5kg up and down the hill for nothing) it was a great day out. Only downside is the fact that my thighs are completely gubbed today and I can barely walk ! Roll on the next one.

Eddie

2011-11-06 07.53.36.jpg
Sun Rise

2011-11-06 08.59.24.jpg
Getting higher

2011-11-06 09.10.22.jpg
Usual flag shot

2011-11-06 09.13.19.jpg
Looking towards Ben Lomond

2011-11-06 09.51.10.jpg
Fog over Loch Sloy Reservoir
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Ben Vane - 06.11.11

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 pm

A great couple of days at the weekend Eddie,good idea to get up there early.We started at about half 7 on saturday and seen no one until the top of beinn ime ,pity about your memory card but your pictures are still pretty good.Your legs will be fine for the next one :lol: Really enjoyed Ben Vane and keeping Ben Vorlich for a winter walk ,well done :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby davgil » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Nice one Eddie!
Looks stunning up there.
At least you were still able to get some nice pics to remember it by.
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Cheers guys. Schiehallion this Sunday weather permitting.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby skuk007 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Is a tough wee hill alright, especially with no hills since April.
Real shame about the memory card, the shots you got on your phone are still pretty good, love the one covering the Sloy dam.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby soulminer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:48 pm

This was my original planned walk for Sunday, but changed my mind in favour of Narnain and The Cobbler.
A real walkers delight was Sunday, several for WH, and a whole lot more on the path up on my way out.
A cracker of a hill, certainly lets you know you have been on a 'big' walk- despite its deminutive size :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland