walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Super Spectre Saturday

Super Spectre Saturday

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 05/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 966m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Woke up saturday morning, after a few sherbets on friday night, before the alarm went off (this is a first) and walked zombie-like into the kitchen, kettle on, bread in the toaster, through to the living room and switched on the p.c. I could see it was a beautiful day anyway, but checked the weather for crianlarich area, lovely. I really did try to stay in bed for all of....20 seconds, I couldn`t help it, I just felt drawn to the hills, I am an addict. After tea and toast I crept back into the bedroom and whispered (more like mumbled) in my dearly beloved`s ear, " I`m just nipping out to the shops to get a couple of things" and then very quickly, "...then i`m goin hillwalking"
Within an hour I was on my way, with Ben Challum my goal for today. I parked the car on the layby at the WHW crossing on the A82 taking me down towards the River Fillan. Across the bridge and towards the remains of St Fillan`s priory, and fallowing the very excellent WH guide took a sharp exit behind the first, old cemetry and by the 2nd, newish one, up to the level crossing over the train track.
ben challum 005.JPG
railway

Note; do use this crossing, i met a couple of guys on the hill who had gone up the hill a longer way and by the way the spoke i think they were put off by the signs.
ben challum 007.JPG
crianlarich hills

Anyway, back on track, don`t follow the landrover trail to the left but just walk straight into the bracken and head for the deer fence up to the right. As the WH report states , this is very boggy and my new lined craghoppers were wet n dirty before i knew it, so the gaiters stayed in my bag, might as well christen the new breeks. It was a really nice day and as i started to make height the sweat was running off me, so the jacket got bagged and how I longed for a pair of shorts. I had great views around me but the walk was a labourious bogfest and i took the opportunity to follow a stream up the hill which looked like it had a craggy top to it. I walked up by this till i got to the top and had a little scramble over the rocks, the only hands on climb of the day. Eventually i could see people coming down from the first top and as i did the cloud started to come in, with a little bit of rain. At least the ground below me was a bit better now, the meandering rocky, path snaking up the hill didn`t at least try to suck my boots off. The fence posts all the way up are not pretty but at least they provide safety in the cloud or fog. I followed these uphill and spoke to more walkers on the way down, the last two telling me how lucky i was having the place to myself. :) I stopped at the false summit cairn for some nosh and wrapped myself up a bit. I was now completely covered in cloud. A wee bit of compass practice time. I followed my compass over towards the summit and this led me to a wee ridge, which i thought was great and the clouds began to clear and i could see the true summit hill before me. what i could also see before me pleased my very much. My shadow grew longer as the sun burst behind and i could see the clouds forming down below me. Broken spectre time ! 8) I`ve had a couple before but this one was brilliant, the rainbow rings seemed to pulse as the clouds moved by.
ben challum 014.JPG
spectre 1
ben challum 018.JPG
spectre 2
ben challum 022.JPG
summit spectre

I had long given up on my camera which is a bit tempremental these days and just watched it for a few seconds. Eventually i got both my phone and camera out and managed to get some pictures.
There was also great views around as the clouds drifted in and out and come 3 oclock i decided it was best to head down before dark.
ben challum 034.JPG
ben more
DSC00993.JPG
clouds
DSC00994.JPG
cairn
DSC01000.JPG
hills
DSC01003.JPG
sunset
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Super Spectre Saturday

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Got back to the car just before dark :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Cracking report Tommy :D

Much better day than when I did it....rubbishy driechy bog weather :(

I'm a wee bit worried that Alien Spectre guy has followed you all the way to the summit :shock: :shock:

PS did you remember to bring in milk and rolls?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Sooberb Tomyboy!! Love the broken spectre shots, can't wait til I get one of my own 8) What a great weekend we had for walking! :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Fudgie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Having experienced a broken spectre for the first time at the weekend I know just how much fun you'll have had with it. Looks like there were a record number at the weekend going by the reports on here :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland