walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Clach Geala Munros

Sgurr nan Clach Geala Munros

Postby danielsutherland » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, near Braemore

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 08/11/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:D After working a backshift all weekend and wanting to take advantage of the good weather forecast I managed to drag myself out of bed at 6am with only 5 and a half hours sleep. As i eventually made my way across the Dirrie more i could see the weather was going to be great with light winds and a crystal clear sky.

Having wanted to save these hills for a clear day it looked like i wasn't going to be disapointed as i set off down the estate track. :D My only dissapointment was not getting up earlier to take advantage of the fantastic sunrise!!

1.jpg

As i made my way down the estate track the views were fantasic down past Loch a'Bhrachin.

2.jpg

One thing to remember is that if you want to tackle these hills in a clockwise direction first, climbing Meall a' Chrasgaidh first then the path to the bridge over the Allt Breabaig is a lot less than 50 metres after the foot bridge over Loch a Bhracin as the walkhiglands route description susgests, look out for the wooden post marking the track which gets you across the bog to the bridge and onto the upward quad track leading up the glen. I looked at the track thinking it was the wrong one and continued further up the glen on the stalkes track before realising my mistake and had to cut across the bog to pick up the bridge!! :oops:

The going was hard up the boggy quad track however this was soon quit for the steep slopes of the first Munro with great views opening up towards An Teallach.

3.jpg

Soon the steep slopes eased and the summit of Meall a' Chrasgaidh was won, just under 2hrs. there were stunning views north with Sgurr Mor looking over your shoulder.

4.jpg

5.jpg

A quick bite to eat and i was off heading south for the 2nd Munro of the day Sgurr nan Clach Geala.

6.jpg

It was an easy walk across the broad col towards the north west ridge of Sgurr nan Clach Geala, the sun was lifting in the sky which was easing the sun blindness as i'd left my shades.
What came next was a fantastic suprise...i had no idea of the fantastic scrambly ridge that was about to lead to the summit Munro number 2 with great views opening up all around and below into the corries i was soon standing on the summit of sgurr nan clach Geala with 360 degree views. I was making good progress only being on the go for 2 1/2 hrs. The views were stunning.

7.jpg

8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

After a few photos i was off and started making my way south again, At this point i hadn't met another person and there was no sign of anyone on Sgurr Mor as the view to it was very clear.

11.jpg

A short sharp descent to the col and then an easy ascent upto Sgurr nan Each. Again the views all around never ceased to amaze. I managed to pick out the Strathconon hills, Glen Strathfarrar, Glen Shiel, Torridon, Fisherfield, An Teallach, Ben Dearg, Suilven, Stac Pollaidh, Canisp, Quinaig, Maybe even Ben hope but could not be sure and many more which i couldn't identify!! :D .

12.jpg

I hung around on the last summit for 1/2hr as i just didn't want to leave, I could hear stags in Glen down below. Still no people too!!
It took me 3 1/2hrs to the final summit which i thought was good time so i gave myself 1 1/2hr to get back to the car.
The short descent down to the Bealach between Sgurr Breac and Sgurr nan Each was slippy and steep but was over quickly.
13.jpg

All that was then required was the long walk back down the glen to the A832.

14.jpg

I made it back in 5 1/2hrs total time which i was quite pleased with considering the half hour i spent soaking in the amazing views on the final munro. Also having the added bonus of not meeting or seeing another person (very un socialble i know, buts its nice to get the hills to yourself) was quite nice.
A great day which made it into one of my top ten hill days ever!
danielsutherland

Munros:129   Corbetts:42
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   

Re: Sgurr nan Clach Geala Munros

Postby mrssanta » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Looks like a great day out.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Love this report :D . Such a great area :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby davetherave » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:27 pm

You sure got a great day for this collection of hills. How lucky were you to get them all to yourself.

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland