walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a' Chaorachain

Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a' Chaorachain

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Chòinnich and Sgùrr a'Chaorachain

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Distance: 20.3 km

Ascent: 1230m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First report in quite a while...

The realities of shorter days and lack of remaining holidays meant I was unable to resist the propect of good weather over the NW. Aside from an aborted attempt on Beinn Liath Mhor a couple of years ago, I hadn't made much impression on the vast mountain land around Glenn Carron. The route taking in these 2 Munros fulfilled my criteria for this late autumn walk - namely that the long walk out on landrover track would be easily done in the dark if necessary.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I set off from Craig just before 10am in cool conditions under ever-changing skies. The track to the wire bridge across the Allt a' Chonais is uneventful but pleasant and a nice way to ease into a hillwalk.

00 Sgorr Ruadh group.jpg

01 first proper glimpse of 2 munros.jpg

I say "bridge" but only the top rail remains and I had no appetite to attempt crawling upsidedown across it :lol: . Fortunately, the river was low and easily crossed on stepping stones. The next section was on a decent path up to the Bhealach Bhearnais with Sgurr Choinnich a constant companion on the left.

02 Bhealach Bhearnais.jpg

The onward route was an enjoyable 400m climb with a couple of easy scrambly sections to the summit of SC.

03 enjoyable climb to SC.jpg

The final ascent was along an airy ridge with the cloud pouring in from the SW over Lurg Mhor then down and up over the summit.

04 SC summit ridge.jpg

It was windy and cold and I was happy to take shelter in the lee of the hill just a few feet below the small summit cairn. The short next section down to the col between the 2 Munros was a struggle as the wind had really picked up and my hands temporarily lost circulation! Despite that, the view SE along Loch Monar was worth it.

05 Loch Monar.jpg

06 easy ascent to Sa'C.jpg

From the col it was just a short climb to the summit of Sgurr a' Chaorachain, again in cloud. However, the wind was strong enough that I thought it might blow over and I was also well ahead of schedule so took a seat in the summit shelter in the hope of things clearing. After about 10 minutes I was ready to leave when the cloud suddenly lifted :) .

07 Bidean an Eoin Dearg.jpg

08 SC.jpg

I started snapping away and finally got a few decent shots of Maoile Lunndaidh, Glenuaig and across the glen to Sgurr nan Ceannachain and Moruisg - good things etc etc.

09 Maoile Lunndaidh.jpg

10 Glenuaig.jpg

11 path to Bhealach Bhearnais.jpg

The descent N began easily enough but soon steepened. It may have been grassy but was still unpleasant and I was relieved to reach flatter ground above the Allt Leathad an Tobair. I crossed the stream and bog-hopped to rejoin the Bhealach Bhearnais path. I was back on the track by 4pm, a good hour before I thought I might be.

12 walk in and out.jpg

The walk back was one of those where you can't believe you walked so far in the first place :? . I got back to the car just as darkness fell. The weather may not have been quite as good as forecast but this was still a really enjoyable day out :D . Even the 3.1/2 hour drive back to Midlothian couldn't dampen spirits.
Last edited by LeithySuburbs on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a' Chaorachain

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Well done Leithy, a long way to travel but looks like you had a good day out. Thanks :D
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby soulminer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm

You should have good reason to be pleased with a walk like that, even if the conditions were 'hand-numbing' I think we have all been at the mercy of windchill at times :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Stretch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Excellent stuff Dougie, afraid I never made it to this area, but it looks fantastic.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Nice report and some excellent pictures :D This is an area I haven't ventured into yet, so your report is an excellent reference for planning for 2012 :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby danielsutherland » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Nice report Leithy, I am hoping to do these two Munros before the end of the year so thanks for some beta, I did Moruisg last week and had a few glimpse towards these hills, i also suffered the same chilling winds :lol: . It certainly is a fantastic area. :)
danielsutherland

Munros:129   Corbetts:42
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Cheers all :) . I am lucky in that my partner's family live in Moray so I can escape at short notice without worrying about finding or paying for accomodation :lol: . It's not right next to any hills but about an hour's drive from Cairngorms/Fannaichs/Torridon and - as in this case - Glen Carron.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Very nice leithy even if the weather wasn't quite as you hoped :D Haven't climbed up here yet but must get round to it sometime.
and my hands temporarily lost circulation!
Know what you mean - I get it regularly (raynauds) despite trying all sorts of different types of gloves and mitts :?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:28 am

Nice one, been eyeing these up too this year.....maybe a definite next year. Been reviewing gloves too, cheers the noo..... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby kevsbald » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:26 am

D'you know leithy I don't think I've ever seen a report for these two. Nice one.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:42 am

Nice one Leithy, still got a lot to do in this area including these two. Is the landrover track good for cycling?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby morag1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Wow Leithy, that's some walk. You really enjoyed your day out in spite of the cold 8)
Nice report from a part of the country I have never been to, very handy having family staying close by :D
morag1

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Is the landrover track good for cycling?

Yes, it is very smooth.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Postby kinley » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Nice report - by recent standards fairly excellent weather 8)

You got some good views there - and piccies.

I quite fancy getting out to Bidean an Eoin Dearg some day 8)

Cheers - here's to the start of the better half of the year for walking. :D
kinley

Postby davetherave » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:00 pm

I have been looking into this area recently, I'm sure your report will come in handy when the time comes.

Nice report and pics by the way.

Dave.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland