walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Feeling a wee bit exposed on Garbh-bheinn

Feeling a wee bit exposed on Garbh-bheinn

Postby JOHNGG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Route description: Garbh Bheinn and Belig

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh-bheinn (Skye)

Date walked: 07/11/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The high pressure forecast for Sunday and Monday had persuaded us that a trip up north was in order. We spent Sunday night at Carbost, on Skye, in the excellent bunkhouse there. Waking up to a glorious morning with not a cloud to be seen, we were soon on the way back past Sligachan to our start point at the head of Loch Ainort. We elected to do the hill anti-clockwise heading up the boggy slopes to Drium eadar do Choire.

nov 2011 004.JPG
View towards Garbh Bheinn

There is a path but it is indistinct and (in November) pretty wet, until you start to climb a bit. The walk up to to the point at 489 m was straightforward and the views to the southa nd towards the Cuillin itself were fantastic.

nov 2011 005.JPG
The Red Cuillins in the sun

From that point however the nature of the hill changed from friendly grassy lump to scary black cuillin. We dropped down a bit and then up the main ridge. It wasn't technicallly difficult but certainly scrambly enough to warrant putting the walking poles away and using hands.

nov 2011 012.JPG
looking up the north ridge

The final 50m along the ridge to the summit itself was airy and exposed - and we eventually scrambled up to the top from the north. Some cracking views but the wind had gotten up and we were getting a bit worried about our descent so didn't hang around.

nov 2011 013.JPG
The summit of Garb Bheinn

We continued to head down the north east ridge. This proved easier said than done. Looking down the ridge the descent route wan't clear and when we found it (heading south and then north in a traverse) it was pretty exposed. The rest of the ridge wasn't too bad but we were glad to get to the bealach between Garbh bheinn and Belig where we stopped for lunch. Having been pretty sick the day before I decided that I didn't have the strength to attempt Belig so we headed down from the bealach and followed the Abhainn Ceann Loch Ainort back to the road. The path was pretty boggy (no surprises there). Didn't take many pictures as I had forgotten my camera and was using my phone instead. Reckon this will be my last new Corbett of 2011 as i'll be heading off to Canada next month to live .... oh well - it'll give me something to come back for.
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

Re: Feeling a wee bit exposed on Garbh-bheinn

Postby kevsbald » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:27 am

Good luck in Canada!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Feeling a wee bit exposed on Garbh-bheinn

Postby kinley » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:27 pm

I need to go back and climb Garbh Bheinn on a nice day. Your day looked reasonable.

You returning from Canada for your final 10 then? :)
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland