walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Kelly Cut; A lesson learned!

The Kelly Cut; A lesson learned!

Postby Chrisabelle » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Date walked: 09/11/2011

Time taken: 1 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Oh dear, I confess to having been ill prepared for this one!
On annual leave from work, bored with usual dog walks so decide to take Charlie to Cornalees visitor centre and walk part of Kelly Cut. I pack my small daysack with flask, hat, gloves and scarf in case its cold.
Driving there it starts to rain at Greenock, I think, "Never mind its only a bit wet".
Park at visitor centre, toilets are open but cafe is closed during week, good job I brought my own coffee. It's still raining but I decide I've driven from Clydebank and dog needs a walk so set off on Kelly Cut walk. Quickly realise it is VERY muddy underfoot and it's still raining. Why didn't I take waterproof trousers? Luckily I had my usual waterproof jacket on but trousers; this idiot was wearing boot cut jeans!!! These were soaking up the water like "Plenty" kitchen roll, from hem to knee was getting rapidly soaking and rain was also running off my jacket to mid-thigh. Perservered for 30minutes then turned back only to realise dog had gone over a little bridge to the far side of the "cut" and when I called him the daft mutt didn't realise there was water between us and he got a dookin he wasn't expecting and this dog does not like getting wet!
Picture the scene; one drookit dog and one drookit owner trudging back to the car, both miserable, wet and cold.
Lesson; Don't go out in rain without proper gear, it was "only" Kelly cut but an important lesson you would think I would have learnt by now.
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: The Kelly Cut; A lesson learned!

Postby DrookitMunter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:34 pm

If you want to guarantee getting soaked, don't pack waterproofs! :lol:
DrookitMunter
Backpacker

Munros:76   

Postby morag1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Chrisabelle wrote:one drookit dog and one drookit owner trudging back to the car, both miserable, wet and cold

Aw, thats a shame :( Hope you have better weather for your next outing 8)
morag1

Postby soulminer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:54 am

Been there, done that :( We call that a 'Ben ledi', Walked from Ben Ledi to Ben Vane in horizontal rain over the peat hags with rivulets between. Arrived at Hotel car park boggin' and totally saturated, another Club walk only 4 completed :lol: Empathy in waves :lol:
soulminer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland