walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum Avoiding the bog

Ben Challum Avoiding the bog

Postby dogjake » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 07/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We arrived in the layby opposite Kirkton farm on the A82 in mist and minus 1 degree, this was contrary to the clear skies and sunshine which had been forecast. After a cuppa we headed off down the farm road towards Kirkton farm and turned left before reaching the farm. This takes you onto the West Highland Way route but only for about 100 metres before you veer off to the right in the direction of the two large trees which are in the cemetery and can be seen from the track. Pass to the right of this cemetery and cross the railway line, remembering to close the gates. It was shortly after this point we emerged from the mist into bright blue skies with incredible views and brilliant sunshine, it was rather spooky to hear the train passing just below when it could not be seen through the mist. The normal route after the crossing would be to take the faint path to the right towards the trees and then follow the deer fence practically all the way to the south summit. this route is easy to follow but be warned it is very boggy and it is often necessary to cross to the other side of the fence to gain the best path, there are also a few stiles to cross some of which are not suitable if you have a dog with you. As an alternative we decided to avoid the bogs and kept on the main track, this takes you slightly west before climbing and returning to the east and meeting up with the same deer fence but past the bogs and stiles.
There is a reasonable track to follow and is easy to navigate back to the deer fence, this route is slightly longer but in my opinion well worth it to avoid the bogs. Fantastic views can be had of Ben More Stob Binnien and Ben Lui.
On reaching the fence line simply follow it all the way to the south summit before taking the ridge northwards, take care on the ridge as it could be tricky in poor weather. Descend slightly before the moderate ascent to the summit of Ben Challum. On a clear day the views are amazing and well worth the effort. After an extended lunch and photos we began our descent this time opting to follow the fence line back to Kirkton farm, big mistake the place was one big bog which required us to detour to find the best route with several crossings of the fence, the stiles are okay if you don't have a dog but my Jake is a big lad and took all our strengh to get him over.
We arrived back at the car after a great walk with fantastic views 6 hours later and began the foggy journey back home.
I uploaded the photos in order but they don't appear that way, sorry not sure how to achieve that.
Aah now I get it, you put them on in reverse order, I should have known lol

Dogjake
Attachments
PB070094.JPG
David getting in the way again
PB070090.JPG
Yours truly at the summit
PB070084.JPG
PB070082.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnein
PB070080.JPG
My mate David on the summit of Ben Challum
PB070079.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnein
PB070068.JPG
Ben Lui
PB070065.JPG
One man and his dog above the railway
PB070059.JPG
emerging from the mist
PB070097.JPG
Two trees at the cemetery
Last edited by dogjake on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogjake
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:12   

Re: Ben Challum Avoiding the bog

Postby kev_russ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Great pics :thumbup: I flew into Glasgow back from a weekend in Berlin on monday and so wished i was walking up the hills. The campsie's,ochill's,trossachs and southern highlands all above the fog.
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby dogjake » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks Kev as you can see the weather above the mist was fantastic with blue skies and very warm.
However, I would agree with everyone else this would be a better walk on hard frost so save it for then.
dogjake
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Peter913 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Nice images there day i wish i was up those hills for that same effect

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland