walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ben lawers 5 from craggantoul

ben lawers 5 from craggantoul

Postby scoob999 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 12/11/2011

Time taken: 7.3 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1901m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

iv'e been itching to write a walk report since i joined a few months ago, so here goes.
i chose this route as i cant drive two cars at the same time, and for that reason, i would have to walk it all and i thought this would be the easiest way to do it :D
this was my second attempt, because the first time it was so windy i nearly got blown of ben lawers into glen lyon!
the forecast on saturday was for wind again, dropping in the afternoon, so i decided to reverse the route this time heading for meall greigh first.
i parked in the small layby at craggintoul, then a short walk up the main road to a farm track on the right, through a few gates then i was on my way steadily uphill till the track splits of to the right, heading along the base of the hill.
there is a track before this but it heads downhill, so dont take this one.
after a few miles you join up with where the lawers burn path comes out, there is a small cairn here. i dropped down the ravine here and straight up to the summit of meall greigh. so far so good, after a quick talk with a man on the summit we agreed that the cloud was going to stay low all day :( so off i ran down to the coll before meall garbh and within 5 minutes the cloud and mist dissapeared?? scotland, dont you just love it :)
a pretty straight forward walk up to the summit the down to the base of an stuc. was it going to be as tricky as i'd heard? it certainly looked daunting, but i was going up, and not down. i have to say it was'nt that bad, but i can see it being more difficult in poor weather conditions!
anyway made it safely and had my usual snickers on the summit, which was frozen solid. did'nt think it was that cold?
onwards again, i had ben lawers in my sights and it did'nt look that far away, half way up and the fatigue started to take hold :( i had done around 10 miles so far, anyway i made it to the summit. and joined the que for a pic. is lawers always that busy? that was my 4 done, as i had done beinn ghlas a few weeks before when i had to turn back on lawers.
as i wanted to include a gpx file to complete the whole ridge, guess what, of to beinn ghlas again.
not difficult really, just a quick walk from ben lawers.
5 munros done. now just the small walk back to the car!!! mind you down hill all the way.
i doubled back on myself a bit, but i think you could just drop down from the summit. might be better in good visability?
easy enough going to start with steep in places but ok, you want to be heading down to the main burn and cross it to stay on the left side. there is a faint path down the edge of the burn after a bit. just follow this till you link up with the track you followed to start with, then back to the car yipee. my legs are still sore :lol:
i hope you enjoy my report.
Attachments

LAWERS 5 GPS.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ben lawers ridge_051.JPG
looking back towards ben ghlas. this route down is boggy in places
ben lawers ridge_049.JPG
my cars away down there!
ben lawers ridge_045.JPG
meall greigh looking down on loch tay
ben lawers ridge_043.JPG
made it!! ben lawers
ben lawers ridge_040.JPG
lochan nan cat with an stuc and meall garbh towering above
ben lawers ridge_036.JPG
summit of an stuc with meall garbh in the background
ben lawers ridge_031.JPG
an stuc straigh ahead
ben lawers ridge_030.JPG
summit of meall garbh
ben lawers ridge_012.JPG
summit of meall greigh
ben lawers ridge_006.JPG
the track to meall greigh
ben lawers ridge_001.JPG
Last edited by scoob999 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: ben lawers 5 from craggantoul

Postby scoob999 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:52 pm

anyone know how to convert a mmo file to a gpx one so i can upload my route?
my photo's are mixed up too :( i need more practice
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:45 am

I have just mastered the photo bit, but still don'y know how to get the app on my phone to do the route thing.
Good photos :)
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:48 pm

There should be an option in Memory Map to export your route as a gpx file - unless it's a very old version of Memory Map.

You can also draw the route using the 'draw route' link in your report.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby scoob999 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Paul Webster wrote:There should be an option in Memory Map to export your route as a gpx file - unless it's a very old version of Memory Map.

You can also draw the route using the 'draw route' link in your report.

thanks paul, found an option to save it as a gpx file when saving the route on to the PC. but wont upload it as i hav'nt cleared the track log?
im sure i'll get it right next time :)
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Huck Finn wrote:I have just mastered the photo bit, but still don'y know how to get the app on my phone to do the route thing.
Good photos :)

thanks huck i seem to be lucky with my photos sometimes.
ive just sussed out that you use the quote button to leave a reply :-?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland