walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unexpected 1st Munro,Claggrage

Unexpected 1st Munro,Claggrage

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 14/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Breaking ourselves in gently,getting some local Grahams done and after our last walk up Ben Donich ,we decided to up the stakes a little.

We decided to head for the Cobbler. After hitting the road at 06.00 and a bit of deer dodging en route we were in Arrochar for 06.50,patiently waiting for the local shop to open at 07.00 to stock up on some energy drinks. Got the shopping done and headed to the car park,got kitted out and headed off for the hill at 07.15.

Weather was overcast,not as forecast,but at least no rain.

Off we went winding up the good track,crossing the forestry road and upward. The layers were already coming off.

Heading on,past the dam,really enjoying the footpath and the stepping stones over the Fords. Making good progress,stopped for a wee drink at the Narnain Boulder field and a couple of pics before we headed into the claggy pathway.

Setting off again into the Clagg,climbing the great staircases and admiring the work that has went into them. We kept the burn on our left,having a wee look over at the the path we were going to be returning on from the Cobbler,looked in as good condition as the rest and a nice we star case as well.

Getting closer to where the path takes a left heading up the back of the Cobbler,the Clagg lifted slighty,almost letting us see where we were going.

Managed to get a pic of the steps before we started our ascent.

Even spotted two Ptarmigans..........maybe the same two from Ben Donich two weeks ago. :lol: There in below pic somewhere.

In the ever hope that the Clagg was going to left we continued on our way. We worked our way round the back of the Cobbler taking a left and heading to the North Peak? We couldn't see a thing !! :lol: But managed a snap at the top.

Probably just as well we couldn't see as we tried looking over a few edges ( hands and knees ) and that was enough !! Nothingness!!

After 5 mins we moved on,heading to the Pinnacle,the Clagg all about us, we made it. We could hardly see it.but we made it !!!!

We were the only ones there,the wind couldn't even be bothered blowing at this point. It wasn't long till we were joined buy a few groups,appearing out the Clagg one by one. We must have stayed up there for an hour talking to people and waiting to see if the conditions would improve,but no change. It was still early,just before 11 before we decided to give up and start our Descent. We headed down,i was taking care to try and keep my knee in one piece. Once we got back to the track,it was then we decided,we'll go for Beinn Narnain....in the hope we might get a view at some point........WRONG!!! :lol:

Headed off up the wet path,meeting people heading off the hill.Stopped to talk to a few folk,with no views to report. :(

Martin 'Ray Mears' heding over some boulders.

Is that the Sun ??

Made it to the Cairn

Stopped for a wee shelter out the wind and bite to eat 'Ray' made himself at home !!

Still feelin fit we headed for the Trig point,we were talking to a couple and asked where it was !! It was about 10 meters away and we couldn't see it...lucky we never tripped over it !!

We soaked in the view for about 40 seconds, then thought about our Descent. Back the way we came or down the 'Spearhead'.? Not really knowing what to expect,we headed off down via the Spearhead...what a great route ! Better if we could see!!

If anyone has some clear pics of this route they would be great to see !!!

Despie the lack of views or reall,being able to see anything we really enjoyed this section. Once we dropped a bit we came out the Clagg to a view over Arrochar.

But before that 'Ray' stopped for a wee lie down.

Really didn't enjoy the bottom half of the path back to the forestry road,it was a long slog. It was wet, wet did i mention wet !

One last pic

Made it back down to forestry road via the concrete plinths and back down the twisty path,were we glad to get back to the car !!! :lol:

A great day despite the Clagg giving me tourettes and our First Munro in the bag........good times !! :D
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Unexpected 1st Munro,Claggrage

Postby soulminer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:58 pm

The reverse of the route I walked last Sunday, a good old leg stretch these two. Pity about the clagg though :(
Here is the link to mine with some views - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16361, and there is a link to Flickr at the bottom of the report, with extra route pics.
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Fudgie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:03 pm

I did the Cobbler about a month ago in similar weather but as I had friends with me who had never done a walk like that before, I decided against going up Narnian. Good to see you enjoyed it despite the weather :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for the link Soulminer.............maybe we're better not seeing where were going :lol:

Aye it was a great walk,i had done the miles before but not over as steep terrain for so long,but all good. 8)
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Bad luck, it was braw on Saturday :lol: . Clag becomes like an old friend as your hillwalking progresses :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:33 pm

well done on baggin your first, what a real shame about the weather, the photos seem to show you really enjoying your hike :thumbup:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:50 am

Pity about the weather but well done on your first munro :thumbup: Clag - it's just something you have to get used to in Scotland. That said, even bad weather can give some dramatic shots - as in your last shot of the sun through the clouds :D cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby smiffysmc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Ha...the Clag was that bad,i've spelt it all with double G's :lol:

We've accepted the weather can be 'changeable',but as long as we have a laugh it's a minor detail. Already got plans to head back up for Beinn Ime and if the weathers good,might as well go see the Cobbler and maybe even Narnain again !!
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland