walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Biadan nam Bian

Biadan nam Bian

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 13/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is something about Guinness hangovers :D and a wee jaunt over Bidean nam Bian seemed the cure as required. The morning was cloudy although the promise of clearing tops later was forecast so myself and the dog was at the foot of Stob Coire an Lochan for 9am.

Ach bha i sgóthach agus chan eil mi a faicinn ruid sam bith idir ,so i only took a couple of claggy looking efforts from halfways up the route

DSCF3429.JPG
Claggy daybreak

We have a saying in Ghaidhlig "Anail a’ Ghàidheil, air a’ mhullach" or in the inferior tongue " the Gaels rest is at the summit " and i made good time to the summit of Stob Coire an Lochan just as the céo started to lift ...things were looking promising :D

DSCF3437.JPG
an t sron

I had some biadh (food) and sat at the cairn i was a wee bit disorientated having come up in mist its queer how it happens, all of a sudden i could see around me and forgot where i summited so to speak :lol: ..out with the mapa and i soon had a bead on where i was at !

DSCF3439.JPG
An druim Bidean nam Bian

I then realised i was only on a "minor top" ...pffft they have queer notions whoever manages these catogries she is a fine hill Stob Coire an Lochan :shock:

Ach uill bha e thairas sios an druim gu Biadan nam Bian agus nuair a bha mi air a mullach

DSCF3458.JPG
Bidean nam Bian gu Stob Coire an Sgreamhach

There was the beginnings of some cracking light with the clouds ,sun and light in a fair mix giving some stunning moments as i had a craic with a fella called Robert Phillips on the summit over a tea :)

DSCF3460.JPG
Solas gu dearbh

DSCF3461.JPG
Abair Seallaidh !

DSCF3463.JPG
Agus a ribhist !!

DSCF3472.JPG
Cruachan is Loch Awe

I sauntered my way over to Stob Coire a Sgreamhach with the grandest sights to see all round, its a bonnie hill Bidean and has exceptional views to the West ....home :) i could see all the way out to Beinn Mór Mhuile.

Bidean a ribhist.JPG
Bidean a ribhist

Oh chi mi na Morbheana :lol:

Coire Gabhail.JPG
Coire Gabhail

Cárn Stób Coire Sgreamhach.JPG
Carn Stob Coire an Sgreamhach

I was in no hurry at all at all and i caught up with Robert again on the mullach of Sgreamhach my 30th munro ..no many to do now 8) .There was such hellish good light and low inversions with cloud fields that looked for the life like snow absolute belting scenery :lol:

Sgoth ann Gleann Comhan.JPG
Sgoth Gleann Comhann

Beinn Fhada.JPG
Beinn Fada

Sgóth is Beinn Neibhis fad iar falbh.JPG
Beinn Nibheis fad air falbh

I spent the best part of an hour on the summit of Sgreamhach looking mostly West where the cloud was absent i could also see Beinn Neibhis poking her ceann above the Aonach Eigeach.By late afternoon the light was fast heading down in the West ,in my opinion i got some cracking photos

Cruachan is Loch Awe bho Bidean nam Bian.JPG
Cruachan is solas

Druim.JPG
druim

Cruachan is Loch Awe am feasgar 13.11.11.JPG
Am feasgar

Air.JPG
Air

DSCF3521.JPG
Solas is sgoth

On Bidean nam Bian of the animal pelts, i saw the glory of Earra Ghaidheal and she casts no shadow over her immediate sisters, who have a beauty of their own .......

As we say in the Ghaidhlig "Cuiridh mi clach air do chàrn" ...i will put a stone on your cairn

Dubh is Geal.JPG
Dubh is geal
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Biadan nam Bian

Postby Peter913 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Nice images there i like the inversion ones

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Postby robertphillips » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Nice report and some crackin photos :D

Robert
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 pm

robertphillips wrote:Nice report and some crackin photos :D

Robert

hey hows form belting day altogether :D ,i stayed on Sgreamhach for an hour or so near dark in the Coire gabhail (lost valley) longer hoof out of their than i thought :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby GraemeMac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:58 pm

wow.......that is all :D
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Postby mgmt! » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:09 pm

lovely photos collaciotach, i was up stob coire sgreamach today too, done it from wee buachaille car park over beinn fhada and down the hidden valley, aonach eagach looked stunning sitting above the clouds. think it was robert who gave me a lift back up the glen to my car, thanks again robert
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby gutollew » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:37 pm

Great pictures - didn’t see anything but fog on the same route earlier this year!
gutollew
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kinley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Nice one!

You got much more dramatic views than I thought - we were down on Trilleachan and from there it looked pretty clowdy up on the Glen Coe hills.

Love the cloud in the Lost Valley. 8)
kinley

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:38 am

A fantastic report with beautifully atmospheric photographs :) Incredibly romantic- loved it all, thank you
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:16 am

It's certainly a great walk and lovely views - was up here only last week. Your photos capture the light and cloud brilliantly - especially Loch Etive and the Lost Valley - stunning. :clap: cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:22 pm

rockhopper wrote:It's certainly a great walk and lovely views - was up here only last week. Your photos capture the light and cloud brilliantly - especially Loch Etive and the Lost Valley - stunning. :clap: cheers

Moran taing :D .... was a grand day wee day out off to Gleourauch and Spidean tomorrow the pleasure of the hill ! won't possibly be as good ...will it ? :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:23 pm

pollyh33 wrote:A fantastic report with beautifully atmospheric photographs :) Incredibly romantic- loved it all, thank you

Tapaidh leibh Pollaidh :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby dooterbang » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 pm

lovely atmospheric photos :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland