walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorms Ben Macdui and Cairn gorm

Cairngorms Ben Macdui and Cairn gorm

Postby quoman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 12/11/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted to do a different area so pick cairngorms, left the house at 05.30 picked up jimmy and alec and bear the Rottie up the A9 pitch black got to the ski centre at 7.45 opened the car doors got blown out through the passenger seat just about ha-ha a well on with all the clothes hat gloves waterproofs of we set headed for macdui first was making good time had a wee break to look over to the great slab took some pics jims rucksack cover was flapping about so i tried to fix it got blown about 4 feet sideways the wind was strong and blustery anyway on wee went straight forward path go to lochan buidhe crossed the boulder field pick your on way through it then follow the cairns all the way got to Ben Macdui 2hrs 30mins the mist was heavy most of the way up sat for a good 30 mins having a good blether had our lunch took the usual pics off we go head for cairngorm that’s a fair trek headed back down the same route till the lochan then turned right the mist started to clear on the way up to cairngorm got some nice photos of the central gully tried to be brave and walk out to one of the points got a pic of me standing near the top so on wee go quite a pull up to cairngorm didn’t stay to long photos of weather station and loch morlich headed down the easy path back to the car at 14.45
ben macdui cairngorm.JPG
Alec and Jim on way up
ben macdui cairngorm (5).JPG
Alec Jim and Bear
ben macdui cairngorm (48).JPG
follow the cairns
ben macdui cairngorm (42).JPG
summit Ben Macdui
ben macdui cairngorm (8).JPG
time for lunch
ben macdui cairngorm (34).JPG
ben macdui cairngorm (3).JPG
not brave enough to go all the way
ben macdui cairngorm (52).JPG
Me,Jim and Bear summit cairn gorm
ben macdui cairngorm (31).JPG
had to do it
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Cairngorms Ben Macdui and Cairn gorm

Postby ken reid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:43 am

great trip report and pics it certinley looks riferent in the wormer munths , the last time I was there the cairn on mc dui was under around 3meters of snow. you shold try it in feb its a hole difrent hill :D
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Re: Cairngorms Ben Macdui and Cairn gorm

Postby quoman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 pm

ken reid wrote:great trip report and pics it certinley looks riferent in the wormer munths , the last time I was there the cairn on mc dui was under around 3meters of snow. you shold try it in feb its a hole difrent hill :D

Cheers Ken ,
that was my first report took me longer to write than walk the hills ha-ha ,A don’t know about that
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland