walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

8 Munros from Glen Isla, will my feet ever forgive me?

8 Munros from Glen Isla, will my feet ever forgive me?

Postby mountaineagle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Driesh, Glas Maol, Mayar, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Corbetts included on this walk: Monamenach

Date walked: 15/11/2011

Time taken: 12.4 hours

Distance: 57.7 km

Ascent: 2530m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munro’s: Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Cairn of Claise, Carn an Tuirc, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe, Mayar & Driesh.
Corbett: Monamenach
Date: 12 November 2011.
Weather: Cloud level was down to 500m, by midday lifted above the tops. Started to get cold just before nightfall above 3000ft, ok once out of the wind.
Attendees: Just me.

I started looking at the possibility of doing the 8 Munro’s east of Glen Shee in one trip just after getting back from the Loch Muick circuit 2 weeks ago. Question for me was; “Would I be fit enough in just the short time getting back to the hills”. For it will not be a small undertaking and after studying the map I decided the best starting point for me would be Glen Isla.

Glen Isla is not what I would say the normal starting point to set out to do the Munro’s in the surrounding area to the north. However normally no one would set out to do all 8 Munro’s in one trip. Though out the reach of some to do in one day, the route would make a great 2 day trip with a wild camp and maybe you could take in (Graham) which I failed to do but also Monamenach (Corbett) which I did do to start this trip off.

It was only the day before after checking the BBC Met Office that I decided to give it the green light.
I arrive at GR 192,698 just after 2300hrs, with the plan that I was going set my tent up and get some sleep before set off in the morning. Instead of sleeping in the tent I ended up sleeping in the car, for by the time I found a pitch and got my tent up I would have been totally wet through.

By morning the rain eased down and when crack of dawn arrived it finally stopped. Looking around at this time there was not much to see, the cloud level was down to around 500m on the west side of the glen, on the east it was around 800m. If the BBC Met Office is right, which it was so far? Then the weather will keep improving with the chance of some clear top by around midday.

Plenty of space to park more cars if needed, though care is needed on the road from Auchaven as it is badly rutted.

Looking back at Auchaven.

I headed of up the hill between the wood and stream, till I pick up the track at GR 188,700. This track comes to an end at GR 179,699 to the right of it I could make out where quad bikes have gone up the hill. Expecting that these tracks would lead me to the top of Monamenach, I followed them.

From the top of Monamenach it was down the slope to Glack of Glengairney, back up to Black Hill (Graham Top) then onto Mallrenneskein (Corbett Top). Not much in the way of navigation is needed as a broken fence leads the way. From GR 160,718 to GR 155,725 the ground is cut away like small peat banks and is soft in places, with old fence posts been placed down on the worst parts.

After Mallrenneskin I carried onto Carn Ait and visited the cairn at height 864, before turning about for Creag Leacach SW Top (Munro Top). From 864 to the start of the final climb to Creag Leacach SW Top, a thin line of a rocky out crop runs along the ridge then opens out as you head up to Creag Leacach SW Top. Once past the Top it didn’t take long and I bag my first Munro of the day, “Creag Leacach”. There was no point in hanging around as the where no views, so carried along the ridge following the stone wall on the way passing a shelter which is mark on the Harvey Lochnagar map.

Cairn at Creag Lecach still shrouded in mist.

The shelter

Looking inside.

At the end of the wall I started to contour round Bathach Beag making my way to Little Glas Maol (Munro Top), but to get there I needed to pick up the path. It wasn’t too long before coming across the grassy path that leads to the top of Glas Maol from the main dirt track at GR 172,762, and then it was straight forward reaching Little Glas Maol. The grassy track back to Glas Maol felt more like a pleasant stroll to me. I reached Maol Glas just under 4 hours and time for me to have my first lunch break. The visibility was still poor, which was a pity as I think the views down Caenlochan Glen and surrounding areas would have been great to look at while having my lunch.

Lunch break time.

Once nourish and watered I was off again on my way to Cairn of Claise. 10 min later the first signs that cloud was finally going to lift “great” and by the time I reached GR 175,777, not far from Craigie Glasallt I could get my first glimpses of the Munro’s tops and the stone wall that runs up to Cairn of Claise. I stayed on the track till GR 182,784 where I cut off and headed for the stone wall. At reaching Cairn of Claise, I started to get my first sightings of other walkers in the area.

First bit of blue sky.

Locals

Making their escape.

Cairn of Claise.

Carn an Tuirc.

It is a nice long gentle slope down to the col, with an easy climb to the top of Carn an Tuirc. On my way back down Carn an Tuirc, I easily picked out the start of my route to Tolmount. A wee track which follows on the south side of a stone wall, in a west to east direction, starting at GR 183,803. Though the track soon fade away as I contoured round Cairn of Claise, the ground in turn becomes a bitty ruff going. Only when I started heading up to Tolmount, that the going became good again. From Tolmount I made my way to Crow Craigies (Munro Top), before coming back to Tom Buidhe. As I back track from Crow Craigies at Apx 920m contour on Tolmount, I then worked my way round Tolmount to the path.

I took a 10 min break at Tom Buidle, as it is a good place to see hills I have done and the 2 Munro’s I still had to do. It also gave me a good grasp of the area I was covering on this trip.

Still had an hour before I stopped for my next lunch break and with nightfall not too far away, I couldn’t hang around Tom Buidle any longer. My route to Mayar will take me over Little Kilrannoch to Dun Hillocks. The ground half way down Tom Buidhe over Little Kilrannoch till the start of the wee climb up to Dun Hillocks; is very wet and boggy in many places. Making it the least favourite part of this trip, by the time I started to head for Dun Hillocks, the mist started to cover the hills again. Thankfully though it didn’t last for long.

I waited till reached the head of “Mayar Burn” to have my next lunch break, so I could get some protection from the wind as I was starting to feel the cold wind cutting through me. Darkness was not too far away and by the time I finally get going and reached the top of Mayar, it was almost dark. I was greeted at the top of Mayar by a small family of Ptarmigans. The navigation from Mayar to Driesh and back again at night is quite easy, all I had to do was follow the well worn path till meeting the fence at GR 252,738. Keep following the fence till it cuts away at right angle at GR 258,739 and takes you to the col. From there go up the stony slope to the top of the hump then it the final wee bit to Driesh top.

More of the locals

On my way down Mayar to Driesh.

From the top of Driesh I could to the south see couple of towns with their street lights, lighting up the night sky. With the moon out it was bright enough night to make out lot of the hills in the area and some of the landscape in the distance. The trip back from Driesh to Mayar, felt or give the impression, to take less time than it took to reach Driesh.

Once back over Mayar, it was now the last leg back to the car. The route back was simple enough, just had to get back on the track that leads over South Craig and travel along to Bawhelps ( Corbett Top). Then pick up the main track at GR 228,718 to Mid Hill, where I took another track down hill to Dalhally (private, so need to walk round the outside of the building). Where it is just a simple walk back to the car, then a two and half hours drive back north.
mountaineagle

Re: 8 Munros from Glen Isla, will my feet ever forgive me?

Postby Bod » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Jings, crivens, help ma bob! Well done, what a round....amazing effort! :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby kinley » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:16 pm

You didn't fancy adding Ben Tirran? :?

You're getting old. :lol: :lol: ;)

Whopping round Will - think I'd need a few days for that. :)
kinley

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Ditto Bod :? :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:27 pm

So amazing!!!

And not one whinge or smug pat on the back :D My kind of guy?/girl? :D

Well I'm giving you a very well deserved one- well done :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 pm

And there was me thinking I was a sado-masochistic purist who sleeps in the car and goes home with bloodied stumps where my feet once were! :shock: Top effort mountaineagle. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:35 pm

That is some walk, pretty amazing. Good effort :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountaineagle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:57 pm

pollyh33 wrote: My kind of guy?/girl? :D

Defiantly a guy. :D
mountaineagle

Postby foggieclimber » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Good to see you back undertaking epic walks.
Looking forward to your next night-time adventure too.
Cheers
foggieclimber

Postby mountaineagle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:01 pm

kinley wrote:You're getting old. :lol: :lol: ;)

Dam right, I need to use two walking sticks to get about. :wink:
mountaineagle

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 pm

mountaineagle wrote:
pollyh33 wrote: My kind of guy?/girl? :D

Defiantly a guy. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountaineagle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 am

foggieclimber wrote:Good to see you back undertaking epic walks.
Looking forward to your next night-time adventure too.
Cheers

It feels good to get some long walks done again, though the next ones will be shorter. As for my next full night-time trip hopefully be soon, looking at a few places.
mountaineagle

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:42 am

Wow - that was some walk. I went up Mayar and Driesh from Auchavan earlier this year - didn't see a thing due to very poor weather but it would never have entered my head to try to extend to the northerly 6. I've certainly done some longer walks this year but nothing on this scale - I'm sure I'd need at least 2 days (or more) for this - well done :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Mega walk Mountaineagle. That kind of distance is in my dreams :lol: Top man.
monty

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I managed the Glenshee 6 in good time and in good daylight. I remember seeing Mayar and Dreish in the distance.... they appeared to be just a few miles short of Holland!!
Exemplary walking....where you walk, I will follow. .....well.....maybe not

Really enjoyable WR and pics.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland