walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dooter Bang Bang Bang!!

Dooter Bang Bang Bang!!

Postby dooterbang » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 12/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1543m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been a while since out 2 weeks in a row but i found myself standing Saturday morning 6am waiting to be picked up as 3 of us would be heading to Glenshee to walk 2 munros, with the possibility of adding a 3rd :) .
Whilst standing i was amused by comments from Glasgows nightlife whom seemed to be heading home in their droves, like extras from a Zombie film!. "you off to work mate" (im standing with outdoor gear on and a rucksack), "no" i replied. "where then" he asked with cross eyed intent. Scuba diving in the clyde i retorted.. . . I quickly corrected this as due to the look of confusion on the fellas face i was sure he was going to pass out. Im going hillwalking in the Cairngorms to do a few munros. "my mate is building a hut there" he slabbered before aimlessly wandering off. Quality (but im ever so glad that wasnt me asking the questions) :lol:

Arrived at the hotel and paid £2 to park the car - takes 4k off the walk.
David, Ross and i set off at 8.45am.

Follow the path NW for 7k to the summit. The path is well defined and presents no difficulties. Remeber before the 1st river crossing to head North and pick up a lesser path which leads to a bridge and means you dont have to get wet by trying to cross the river.

the lesser path

the bridge

When over the bridge a very wide path takes you all the way to the summit.
It was windy and wet at this point with visibilty poor. I was thinking if it stayed like this i was just doing the 2 munros.

It wasnt long till we reached the summit of our 1st Munro - Glas Tulaichan

We didnt hang around and descended North.

The clag looked as if it was lifting :)

After 1.5k follow a muddy path West for 2k which brings you to the bottom of Carn an Righ

Follow a path NW to the summit

The wind was still up but it took no time at all to reach the summit of Munro no.2 - Carn an Righ

Again we didnt hang about an headed back down the slope to the col and had a bite to eat. The sun started to shine and the cloud was clearing. A fellow walker passed and gave us info on time/distance if going to do munro no.3 - Beinn Iutharn Mhor. Since it was only noon we decided to go for it :D

Beinn Lutharn Mhor in the disatnce

We headed NE for 1k before switching NW for 1k to reach the summit of Beinn Lutharn Mhor

Splendid clear views in all directions at this point - the skies almost blue.

From here we headed SE to the corner of Loch nan Eun - spotting a few friends on the way.

Loch nan Eun

From here cross the waterfall so your on its East side and follow a path for 7k before crossing a bridge that leaves 1k to the finish. This path was pleasant enough and nothing like the walk out i had last week at Loch Arkaig in darkness.

One last look back North

The walk out was great due to the sun belting of the surrounding hills, and it was daylight.

We had banged 3 munros in 7 hours, a great days work and rewarded with a beer at the hotel.

Nice little walk this and it turned out to be a great day after my initial fears, was great to get some fresh mountain air.

Was back home for 6.30pm, result.

Thanks to David for driving and Ross for showing my some camera trickery....which i've forgotten :? 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Dooter Bang Bang Bang!!

Postby DavyB » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm

Good pics Paul considering the light!! Good wee day out on the hills!! :D
DavyB
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:11   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:30 pm

I liked the look of this, we've been thinking of doing this route but perhaps camping at Loch nan Eun and taking in An Socach as well. Maybe on the next trip to Deeside
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Aye - a nice wee walk there dooter and the weather improved in the end as well :thumbup: Takes me back to my first wild camp at Loch nan Eun - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:07 am

Fully agree with the comments, i also like how the hotel takes a note of your car registration, what hill you are climbing and your expected return time. Good to see they are thinking of our safety and all for just £2 :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby DavyB » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 am

I know you like your stats Paul, just checked the profile for that walk 27.7km in 7.01hrs, not bad i hope we didn't slow you down to much!!! :lol: :lol:
DavyB
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:11   

Postby brpro26 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Looks a fine day oot. Still amazed that the Glenlochsie lodge is still standing, have stopped a couple of times for a brew on the way by and always feel a bit nerves sitting inside it. It's a good circuit in the snow. There's always a good fire going in the Spittoon of Glenshee hotel. Dalmunzies too posh for me!!!
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Great report DB, I think I might see if I can get a look in over there before the big move, though I will probably have a leisurely stroll and only do the 2 :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dooterbang » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:24 pm

rockhopper wrote:Aye - a nice wee walk there dooter and the weather improved in the end as well :thumbup: Takes me back to my first wild camp at Loch nan Eun - cheers :D

Maybe i'll wild camp there also....now im a veteran :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:28 pm

dooterbang wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Aye - a nice wee walk there dooter and the weather improved in the end as well :thumbup: Takes me back to my first wild camp at Loch nan Eun - cheers :D

Maybe i'll wild camp there also....now im a veteran :D

see under gear and equipment.. tent for sale !! :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby PeteR » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Nice report and pictures DB. Brings back good memories, as I did these three in the summer and loved them. I was practically on my knees at the end though as I did them on a warm sunny day under the influence of a mild hangover and was well and truly shattered by the end of it :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Great DB, it just shows sometimes the weather does change for the better when you get your head down and there is no better place to be than on the tops when it does. Well maybe the pub :)

Thanks for sharing
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:46 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report DB, I think I might see if I can get a look in over there before the big move, though I will probably have a leisurely stroll and only do the 2 :D

Chris,if you do manage to climb these two before you leave and you want some company I would be happy
to tag along(weekends only).
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:21 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Great report DB, I think I might see if I can get a look in over there before the big move, though I will probably have a leisurely stroll and only do the 2 :D

Chris,if you do manage to climb these two before you leave and you want some company I would be happy

Oh can I come along? Promise I'll only wear my shorts if Gammy does too!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:03 pm

pollyh33 wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:

Oh can I come along? Promise I'll only wear my shorts if Gammy does too!!!

Weekend walking :shock: that's not even in my vocabulary :lol: thanks for the offer Gammy (the weather wouldn't know what to do with you and I on the same hill :lol: ) though Polly in her shorts could be worth the gamble :wink:

Things are going a bit quick around here but if I get a day to wander (other than a lone pilgrimage to Lochnagar) I'll post a last minute shout and keep my fingers crossed, if not you will have to come to the North America meet up :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland