walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going through the pain barrier on Ghaordaidh & Oighreag

Going through the pain barrier on Ghaordaidh & Oighreag

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 6.8 hours

Distance: 11.4 km

Ascent: 1116m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a bitterly cold night in the tent next to the bridge over the River Lyon just east of the Stronuich Reservoir. I confess, I did not last the night in the tent but relocated into the car at some point and sporadically ran the engine for short bursts throughout the remainder of the night, just to boost the internal temperature a bit.

The twin northern spurs of Meall Ghaordaidh stood out starkly against the bright November night sky, standing sentinel over me through the night. I missed Lucy - she is always a good source of additional warmth in situations like these - but she is getting a little bit too veteran to be doing hard-core multi-day routes like this. :(

I had set my alarm for 6am hoping to get off the mark sharpish but I resorted to hitting the snooze button a few times and so it was closer to 7 by the time I emerged from the car. The temperature read -3.5 and it felt colder. I quickly stuffed the tent and it's few remaining contents into the boot of the car, removed all unnecessary overnight gear from my pack and repacked for a day trip.

I opted to forego coffee and a hot breakfast, instead shovelling a couple of cereal bars and an apple down my throat. I needed to get going to generate some warmth and find out whether I could still actually walk after the marathon of the previous 24-36 hours around Culra.

The soles of my feet actually felt OK but my legs felt like dead weight and every step burned. It was a slow, laboured ascent up through the coire and I did not feel the sun's rays on my face until I emerged onto the ridge to the east of the Munro summit.

I dumped everything here except my camera and hobbled up to the summit, the divide between north/west and south/east facing aspects being clearly visible as a hard line between green and white.

I spent quite a while sitting in the considerable shelter cairn at the summit or else roaming around snapping away at the wonderful vista surrounding me, and best of all, there was not another soul around. 8)

Back down at my pack, I lightened the load further still by eating most of my food before setting off for the Corbett.

As I descended down off Cam Chreag into the bealach between it and Carn Shionnach, the sun reached it's height and the sweat began to pour off me. I was really toiling now and could quite easily have jacked it in and walked out along the Allt and around the northern termination of Creag Tulabhain. Had it not been for the fact that it was such a glorious day (I just knew that I would be unlikely to strike quite as lucky again if I returned for the Corbett at some point in the future) and, having just done my 120th Munro and now being in hot pursuit of my 40th Corbett, I almost certainly would have crawled back to the car with tail firmly between legs. But I laboured on up the long southern nose of the Corbett and was duly rewarded with more amazing views and the place to myself.

All that remained was to descend north west and trudge wearily back towards the car in the shadow of the great hulking crags of Creag Tulabhain.

The only people I saw all day were the old bloke standing on the bridge staring into the River Lyon and his wife, sitting reading in the passenger seat of their car parked up alongside mine. I bade him a cheery but tired "hello" and jumped into the car a very happy man for the drive home and a very long, very hot bath. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Going through the pain barrier on Ghaordaidh & Oighreag

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Fine effort Mr Dewar.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Jammy sod - another day of great weather and views [compared to my wet, cold, windy, white out of a day on these two] :lol: Well done on managing these two after you culra trip :thumbup: cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Great effort Graeme, well done! I can see you had the colour well back in your cheeks by the second summit in the glorious sunshine! Nice route :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Superb effort after the epic the previous day & the cold night in the tent/car. I would hazard a guess that less hardy souls would have admited defeat & headed home,so i think it is only just you were rewarded with some great views & weather.

Nice one. :D
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:24 pm

the sadist in me has been waiting for this report ;). Catching me up on the Munro tally you b******* :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Nice walk Graeme and some nice blue sky :D Did look a bit cold though
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 pm

So well done Graeme :D

Thanks for posting all the photos of the views that I should have seen from Ghaordaidh- fantastic!

Really love the frozen puddle-just no escaping those pesky contour lines :lol:

PS how much weight did you lose that weekend???
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:the sadist in me has been waiting for this report ;). Catching me up on the Munro tally you b******* :lol: .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope it was worth the wait Leithy!

pollyh33 wrote:So well done Graeme :D

Thanks for posting all the photos of the views that I should have seen from Ghaordaidh- fantastic!

Really love the frozen puddle-just no escaping those pesky contour lines :lol:

PS how much weight did you lose that weekend???

Dunno Polly! Suffice to say I was a mere shadow of my former self by the time Monday morning dawned! Like I really need to lose some weight as well! :lol:

Thanks for comments all. A brilliant weekend all told. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kinley » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm jealous - not seen any frost yet this year :(

A nice pair and a good looking day. 8)
kinley

Postby goth_angel » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Loved the 'contour lines' in the frozen puddle.

We were on Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) that day - some frost on the northern slopes and like there zip on other aspects. A great day to be on the hills.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Great route - I don't know why more people don't do this one from the north, as it's much more interesting, and no harder or longer than the normal route.

Oighreag looked fine that particular morning. Still kicking myself for not doing it when I was up there (I did start towards it, then changed my mind).

Sorry for making pretty much the same comments I make every time this hill combination comes up!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountaineagle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Cold frosty mornings, are what I enjoy at this time of year.

Nice wee trip.
mountaineagle

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 am

What a guy to do this right after your two day purist jaunt! :thumbup:

Like the frozen puddle too. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alastair S » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 am

Nice report with some super photos :thumbup:

I did these two from Glen Lyon as well and thought Glen Lyon was wonderful. Bienn Oighreag was a bit of a boring lump but Meall Ghaordaidh has real character from this side. Looking forward to my return to tackle the Meall Garbh horseshoe.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland