walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scafell Pike via Piers Gill from Wasdale head

Scafell Pike via Piers Gill from Wasdale head

Postby ChrisG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Date walked: 02/10/2011

Time taken: 6

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 946m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast said one hundred percent chance of persistent rain, fog above 300 meters, but it was the only day I could get up there and it had been scorching for the last week. Setting off from Wasdale Head village Green the weather was ok viz not to bad and no rain. It's a nice relaxing start as the path up to the bottom of Piers Gill has just a gentle incline.

waste-water.jpg
Pannorama from the road into Wasdale Head

I'd seen a picture of the water meetings just off the path on the way up to piers gill, what a wonderful little oasis of beauty it turned out to be. Set into a shallow bowl two little streams tumble down into a very blue pool of crystal clear water, with a spire of rock between the two falls.

_DSC0025.JPG
Water meetings

After the falls I turned off the main path and followed the right hand branch of the beck up to the start of the deep ravine that is Piers gill. You don't actually walk up the gill you follow the top with the drop on your right.

_DSC0041.JPG
Piers Gill

About two thirds of the way up the gill the way is blocked by a wall of rock. I couldn't see a way round it so had to go over it. It is a little bit of a climb and was slightly slippy due to the fact the rain had arrived, but nothing to scary.

Unfortunately thats the end of the photos until I was well on my way back down from the peak. The weather closed in and from where my route met the path to the summit it just got worse, until, when at the top there was almost no vis at all, it was very wet indeed and quite windy. I had to cut my intended route, to just the pike itself. I had intended going on to great end via ill crag and broad crag then across to mickeldore then down from there. That will have to be saved for another day now hopefully not a rainy one

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by ChrisG on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Scafell Pike via Piers Gill from Wasdale head

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Well done on persevering in the wind & rain,at least you got to see Piers Gill before the weather came in completely,it was truely awful at Wasdale after about 10am on sunday. By the time we'd rolled out of the tent on the site opposite the Wasdale Head Inn & got ourselves ready to go it was already raining/cloud right down so the day's walking was abandoned. Had to make do with an afternoon/evening of refreshing beverages in the bar :D
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Re: Scafell Pike via Piers Gill from Wasdale head

Postby JonMcCrae » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:06 am

love scafell and its suroundings! you've made me want to get up there again! :)
JonMcCrae
Wanderer

Munros:18   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:149   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland