walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Stag Party at the Buachaille

The Stag Party at the Buachaille

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 12/11/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 6.4 km

Ascent: 895m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having changed my existing plans last minute (walking one day) to 2 days including wild camping in Glen Etive (mainly because of a bad morning weather forecast), I left home at 9:30 just to remember 5 miles down the road that I left my wallet (argh) Doing a detour I picked up my wallet and was finally on my way just before 10:00.

The roads were blissfully empty and I arrived at Glen Etive at 12:15. Putting up my tent in word record time and organizing the car I was ready about 15 min later and knew I had about 4h of daylight left…too much to hang around, but also not very much time to climb a mountain.

Checking different options I decided that I would finally climb Stob na Broige. I have done Stob Dearg about 6x but never managed to do the whole ridge so far. Having also recently finished a painting of the whole Buachaille Etive Mor I felt, that I knew every inch of it anyway.
Maja - Buachaille Etive Mor.jpg
My painting

As the whole ridge walk would take far too long, I decided to head up Coire na Doire straight from Glen Etive. Having checked the map and the mountain, it looked a pretty easy way to do it.
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 002.jpg
The start

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Driving down Glen Etive I parked my car, packed my bag and set off. It was pretty rough terrain, but an easy mix of grass and heather with the odd boulder thrown in.
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 004.jpg

When I was about half way up I saw a herd of deer in the distance, but it was too far away to get a good picture. When I continued walking up, I suddenly felt watched and when I looked up the hill, I saw a stag and 2 deer looking at me….cool
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 008.jpg

Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 012.jpg

They seemed quite nosy and while I took some pictures they kept on looking at me until they decided that I was getting too close and started to run away.
By that time I was alert and saw more deer on 2 further occasions…I have seen a lot of deer and stags in my time but that was topping all of it (Stag party up the hill)
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 017.jpg

After 1.20h I managed to reach the top of Coire na Doire and walked towards Stob na Broige . At the bottom of the hill I I actually haven’t seen a single soul (quite rare for a lovely Saturday afternoon up the Buachaille) but was greeted by a row of rucksacks at the bottom of the path…looking around I saw no one but guessed the owners left them to do Stob na Broige ….lazy buggers ;-)
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 022.jpg

On my way up I met a group of walkers, who told me they were from the Lomond Mountaineering club. While chatting to them, one of them asked me, if I was by any chance Mountainlove from walkhighlands. Lol first time I was recognised on the hills. (do I need to get worried? hehe). I said yes and he told me he is (MGMT also from walkhighlands) I continued chatting to the group exchanging some tales and after telling them I was solo camping that night, they invited me spontaneously to a ceilidh which they had that same night.

As I had kind of dreaded the lone long night in the tent, I was happy to accept. Saying my good byes I continued walking up to Stob na Broige. When I reached the summit, being happy that I finally made it (1.45h after leaving the car) I sat down in the wee shelter, had some snacks and while I looked around I saw a little angle statue hiding under a rock…cute!
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 027.jpg

As I was getting cold I decided to head back and met another group of 3 walkers. They had done the Buachaille Etive Beag and Mor in a day and were on their way back down. I walked a bit with them and said my good byes when I got to the grassy area down to Glen Etive. Walking down in the sunset was lovely and really peaceful. When I looked to my right I saw a herd of about 20 stags and deer grazing in the distance ….Awwww
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 039.jpg
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 040.jpg

When I was half way down the hill, I suddenly saw another group of stags. They eyed me up and stayed where they were, while I made my way towards them. I was wondering why they didn’t run away but they seemed quite content until at the last minute they decided to leave the spot and run down the hill.
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 034.jpg
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 030.jpg

After a gentle walk down the hill with many stops I reached my car just after 16:00h and drove back to my tent ready for a lovely tin of cullen skink and a can of beer listening to the burn and watching the moon rise over Creise…sometimes you cant beat wild camping!

To be continued
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The Stag Party at the Buachaille

Postby mgmt! » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:11 pm

ha ha ml, those rucksacks were full of climbing gear and very heavy, we had come over the buachaille via its north buttress when young aaron suggested the walk over to stob na broige. it just goes to show the benefits of posting on walk highlands, i only hope the time spent dancing at the ceilidh with us motley crew was better than freezing your toes off in the tent :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby dooterbang » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:28 pm

well done Maja.

Nice to see you met MGMT - top bloke. Great to lead the way on scary ridges :shock:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:38 pm

what is it with you and those deer :lol: ?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:09 am

ha ha ml, those rucksacks were full of climbing gear and very heavy, we had come over the buachaille via its north buttress when young aaron suggested the walk over to stob na broige. it just goes to show the benefits of posting on walk highlands, i only hope the time spent dancing at the ceilidh with us motley crew was better than freezing your toes off in the tent :lol:

Hehe terrible excuse :lol: Time with you motley crew was much better...I always prefer people standing on my toes apart from freezing them off...Saying that ...watching you all dance....you might be all a long way off before you can apply for stricktly come dancing! I would say stick to the hills :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:14 am

well done Maja.
Nice to see you met MGMT - top bloke. Great to lead the way on scary ridges :shock:

Lol was told you chickened out and stuck to the path ;-) Although with some ridges understandabel :D

what is it with you and those deer :lol: ?

Tell me about it...decided that I dont know why hunters have to get up by 4am to shoot them...hillwalking brings you close enough :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby morag1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:52 am

I like your painting mountainlove, is it another hobby? you must be multi-talented

Sounds like a great day on the hills. I would have loved that ceilidh :D
morag1

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:00 pm

morag1 wrote:I like your painting mountainlove, is it another hobby? you must be multi-talented
Sounds like a great day on the hills. I would have loved that ceilidh :D

Many thanks regarding the painting...and yes its one of my hobbies...although I dont paint that much...had a phase painting sheep which I just managed to overcome (love sheep) The ceilidh was great fun...great end for a day in the hills
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby blueyed » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:40 pm

i can see you dont really like using paths :)
you know, at the car park under the mountain i always look up and think to myself 'that is a vertical path!!!! obviously its a killer path' and then i start ascent and the path is nice and not vertical at all. everything looks different from the car park :) and often i find it quite intimidating , looking up and then its perfectly fine.
i had that with Buachaille etive mor and with bidean nam bian, ben more (mull) and few other mountains. t
hats why i tend to use paths but i really appreciate the freedom you have, just decide to go up this way and then go. i think i will actually try this soon :) just to free my mind a little bit :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:02 pm

That last picture gives the impression that the clouds are holding the sun. Good effort all round.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby mgmt! » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 pm

what :shock: , the dancing was of the highest order, the problem is there is too many foreigners in our club who dont no the moves, the german contingent in particular :wink:.
morag, our ceilidh is a very exclusive event, but i am easily bribed.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:56 pm

blueyed wrote:i can see you dont really like using paths :)
you know, at the car park under the mountain i always look up and think to myself 'that is a vertical path!!!! obviously its a killer path' and then i start ascent and the path is nice and not vertical at all. everything looks different from the car park :) and often i find it quite intimidating , looking up and then its perfectly fine.
i had that with Buachaille etive mor and with bidean nam bian, ben more (mull) and few other mountains. t
hats why i tend to use paths but i really appreciate the freedom you have, just decide to go up this way and then go. i think i will actually try this soon :) just to free my mind a little bit :)

What I like non existing paths is the fact that you start to 'see' a path to follow...hard to discribe when you have never done it, but I do recommend to you that you need to try it out(lol try an easy one...my first one was Ben Stack up north-great one and pretty easy to reach) :D

Fudgie wrote:That last picture gives the impression that the clouds are holding the sun. Good effort all round.

I had to look at it for a while but I see what you mean -it really looks like it!

mgmt! wrote:what :shock: , the dancing was of the highest order, the problem is there is too many foreigners in our club who dont no the moves, the german contingent in particular :wink:.
morag, our ceilidh is a very exclusive event, but i am easily bribed.

Lol at least no had had to feel bad for not knowing the steps 8)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby morag1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:51 pm

mgmt! wrote:morag, our ceilidh is a very exclusive event, but i am easily bribed

:D :wink:
morag1

Postby mgmt! » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 am

morag1 wrote:
mgmt! wrote:morag, our ceilidh is a very exclusive event, but i am easily bribed

:D :wink:

ha ha, your on the guest list for next year :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland