walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean from the A82

Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean from the A82

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 14/11/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After my complete whiteout on Schiehallion on Sunday I decided on Sunday night that I was going to make the most of my Monday off work and hit the hills again. MWIS was saying there was an over 90% chance of cloud free munros so with the last bit of energy I had in my body I went about chosing the hills I would hit the next morning. Once I decided on Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean I noticed that Inverlochlarig was the recommended starting point and not the lay by on the A82 that I had been expecting. To add to the confusion my SMC munro book described the two hills as being linked when coming from the Tulaichen side but didnt say Tulaichen could be done when heading from the Ardrain side, how can they not be linked in the other direction I thought? Anyway my tiredness was probably the deciding factor in the starting point as I decided I couuldnt be bothered driving to Inverlochrig in the morning and that I would tackle both hills from the lay by on the A82.

The next morning I left the house at 6am and was parked and on my way for 7am. I headed up the familiar path along the route of the River Falloch before veering left down towards a rickety bridge across the river which coincides with the edge of the forrest on the left. From here it was a big squelch all the way up the hill towards Grey Height. It didnt stop being really boggy underfoot until I was almost at Meall Dhamh. The views up until now had been great with a lovely sunrise and clear hills all around but for some reason I wasnt enjoying it. The hill was steeper than expected and I felt like I wanted to quit and turn around and go home. Im not really sure what was wrong with me, perhaps I was still fatigued from the day before, but I continued on anyway trying to motivate myself by saying things like "well ive came this far I may as well see it out" etc. :)

The final section before reaching the fork in the path was an absolute killer. I was really struggling but got a bit of a second wind when the summit came in to view across the way to my left. I continued across and took some pics and admired the views. It took me 2 Hrs 45 mins to this point. The wind was really strong up there and the clouds were starting to dance around the hills all around. Beinn Tulaichen had a cap of cloud over it and the cloud on Ardrain was coming and going pretty quickly by now.

After a quick bite to eat and more photos I started heading across towards Beinn Tulaichen. The way it was described in the book made it sound like a short jaunt between the two but it took me the best part of 45 mins and again I was feeling knackered. After yet more photos it was time to head back. This was the worst bit of the day as I had to pretty much retrace the route I had just made. Down the valley back up Ardrain, Down Ardrain back up Meall Dhamh, down Meall Dhamh back up Grey Height and then eventually back down the boggy hill, across the bridge and down the path to the car. The walk back took me 2 Hrs.

What should have been a really enjoyable hill ended up feeling like a bit of a slog but at least the views were good, hope you enjoy the pics

Eddie
_MG_4852.jpg
Sunrise

_MG_4858.jpg
More Sunrise

_MG_4855_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

_MG_4865.jpg
Lochan

_MG_4866.jpg

_MG_4868.jpg

_MG_4870.jpg

_MG_4872.jpg

_MG_4874.jpg

_MG_4876.jpg
Beinn Tulaichean

_MG_4877.jpg

_MG_4881.jpg

_MG_4883.jpg

_MG_4890.jpg
Cruach Ardrain

_MG_4891.jpg

_MG_4896.jpg
Back towards Ardrain
Attachments
_MG_4901.jpg
Beinn Tulaichean
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean from the A82

Postby Fudgie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:09 pm

_M_G_ 4876 is a cracking picture. Good effort from you to keep going after the day before.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby xpfloyd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks mate. That one and 4881 were my two favourites

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby kev_russ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Some stunning pics there Eddie, nice wan :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Great pictures specially the early morning ones! Like the idea with the flag :D Great picture
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby xpfloyd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Like the idea with the flag :D

Started that habit years ago and find it hard to stop now. That flags been everywhere with me.

Here is a better edit of my favourite shot out the lot -

Beinn Tulaichean by xpfloyd, on Flickr
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland