walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Lochain, first walk out in the dark

Beinn Lochain, first walk out in the dark

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Lochain

Date walked: 10/11/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The plan was to go for Beinn Bheula from Lettermay, but as it was almost 2pm by the time we got there, we decided to head to the Graham to the North, Beinn Lochain. We followed the same track that would have taken us to Bheula until just before the fabulous fast flowing waterfall that tumbles down ahead of you, so fabulous that we didn't think to take a photo :lol: We then followed a mud track that looked to have been used for felling the trees which lead us nicely round to Curra Lochain. At the start of the Loch there were some trees left that we had to stoop under which brought us to a stile. Over we went and from there we struck up the side of the hill. We could see plenty of crags and boulders up above and it was a case of get to them then find a way over/round them, which was good fun. Eventually it levelled off for a bit then we were faced with a whole load of steepness and crags and it was a case of trial and error to get to the summit, which I wouldn't have fancied too much in thick clag, but as it was, the cloud was hovvering just around the summit and eventually we found our way to the top and the tiny cairn that I missed even though I was standing right next to it :shh: :lol: Pretty claggy around the surrounding summits, so not great views, though we had a good view down to the Loch below us and some of the surrounding crags. Took us over 2 hours to the summit, so we knew the walk out was going to be in the dark and wanted to get back to the mud track at the Loch before the head torches were going to be christened. Made it with a bit of time to spare, though the walk from the mud track back to the path proper got rather amusing when I went sliding off a wet log to land on my butt, a helping hand from Del Boy soon landed him on his too :lol: One fit of the giggles later we were safely onto the main track and heading to Lettermay.

Some photos...
DSC_0017.JPG
Beinn Lochain from the car
DSC_0021.JPG
Loch Goil
DSC_0024.JPG
Beinn Lochain
DSC_0030.JPG
Curra Lochain
DSC_0034.JPG
Towards Lochain nan Crialmh
DSC_0035.JPG
Beinn Bheula
DSC_0036.JPG
Ascent route, we went left of main crags....
DSC_0041.JPG
....here
DSC_0043.JPG
Down over crags and boulders to Loch
DSC_0046.JPG
More crags
DSC_0049.JPG
Summit
DSC_0052.JPG
At least somebody was getting some sun
DSC_0055.JPG
Cliffs
DSC_0060.JPG
Tiny cairn
DSC_0061.JPG
Initial descent
DSC_0063.JPG
Curra Lochain
DSC_0067.JPG
More crags
DSC_0072.JPG
Darkness descending
DSC_0076.JPG
Headtorches oot!!!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Beinn Lochain, first walk out in the dark

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Fabbie report Dave.

Those photographs are just getting better and better :D

As well as all the new skills you've been learning on your course, do actually think more about your choice of subject??

PS No pics of your muddy butt? :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:55 pm

Nice report of a little toughie. Shame you missed Beinn Bheula though you could link it up with the Marilyn when you returned. I'd hoped to do all three but after doing Lochain & Bheula not only were we knackered but we were running out of daylight
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:11 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Fabbie report Dave.

Those photographs are just getting better and better :D

As well as all the new skills you've been learning on your course, do actually think more about your choice of subject??

PS No pics of your muddy butt? :D

Cheers P :D
I wouldn't say I think too much more about my choice of subject, I just take the time to try and take a steady shot instead of one handed snapping while I walk type stuff :lol: oh and try to centre what I'm photographing, oh and the rule of thirds :crazy: :crazy: :lol:

No muddy butt shots, I've yet to acquire a wide angle lens :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice report of a little toughie. Shame you missed Beinn Bheula though you could link it up with the Marilyn when you returned. I'd hoped to do all three but after doing Lochain & Bheula not only were we knackered but we were running out of daylight

Cheers JC :D
Beinn Bheula looks a great rugged hill, will most definitely be back for it in the future and hopefully get it's wee neebur too.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Bod » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:04 am

Done some night-naving in the rain over Beinn Bheula and round about. A fantastic area to work on the skills... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:44 am

lomondwalkers wrote:I wouldn't say I think too much more about my choice of subject, I just take the time to try and take a steady shot instead of one handed snapping while I walk type stuff oh and try to centre what I'm photographing, oh and the rule of thirds

Dave, I'm impressed you're taking the time to do all that before you take a shot and it shows in your photos :thumbup: I usually totally forget about the rule of thirds but it doesn't always apply, particularly if you're taking something like a fantastic sky :D

Loved your report, as usual :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Bod wrote:Done some night-naving in the rain over Beinn Bheula and round about. A fantastic area to work on the skills... :D

It sure is, will probably be back again in the near future.

SusieThePensioner wrote:
lomondwalkers wrote:Dave, I'm impressed you're taking the time to do all that before you take a shot and it shows in your photos :thumbup: I usually totally forget about the rule of thirds but it doesn't always apply, particularly if you're taking something like a fantastic sky :D

Loved your report, as usual :lol:

Thanks Susie, with my luck for weather I doubt I'll be getting a fantastic sky anytime soon :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Missed this one. I really like the look of the hills round there. Pity they are so far away! Nice report :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:58 pm

malky_c wrote: Pity they are so far away! Nice report :D
Not often there's an advantage to living in the Glasgow region compared to Inverness 8) :wink:

Starting to look at the corbetts and grahams nearer home - certainly quite a variety - and your report's giving me ideas - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:30 pm

malky_c wrote:Missed this one. I really like the look of the hills round there. Pity they are so far away! Nice report :D

Some great craggy hills round that way. Beinn Bheula looks a cracker, can't wait to get back and attempt it :D

rockhopper wrote:Starting to look at the corbetts and grahams nearer home - certainly quite a variety - and your report's giving me ideas - cheers :D

Yeah theres plenty to choose from RH, I'll hopefully be ticking off a few more in the area over Winter.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland