walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Bidean nam Bian Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Postby quoman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 17/11/2011

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Looking at MWIS weather for Wednesday looked good was going to go up Bidean and Sgreamhach myself got all ma gear sorted looked at the route then my phone went it was scot “do you fancy going away on Thursday “yeh that will do me best of all in his car get you at 8am he’s not a early riser so we came to a compromise 7.30 that’s fine checked the weather again p**ing with rain 45-55 winds gusting to 75mph, oh well that will be fun hands and knee’s on the ridge.

Thursday morning away we went raining from the house all the way up to loch earn go as far as Bridge of Orchy blue sky’s yee ha our mood lifted got to the car park 9.20am set of at 9.35 made good time up the path not a frantic pace nice and steady about 20 mins later of came the fleece just the base layer on we were in the shade most of the way up the Aonach Eagach Ridge looked impressive in the sun I was scanning the ridge to see if I could see any body all of a sudden a group of about 8 walkers appeared took a photo but to far away for my camera of we went made the top of the waterfall a we 5min step climb then the three lochans sat here an had our lunch a good 25 minute break went to take a drink of my juice before we set of nae where to be seen must have fell out of the side pocket of the rucksack so welshwalker if you find it you can keep it ha ha .

Had 2 routes planed of to the left then turn right onto Stob Coire nan Lochan or the usual route right then up to the top that’s the route we took got to the top with a we bit of scrambling over the rocks but not to hard the mist came right in by now tine for the waterproof jacket didn’t bother with the bottoms. Headed for Bidean nam Bian the mist was thick by now rain started to come on but kept on going up the path of Bidean still no wind yet didn’t stay long took pic on the self timer to get scot and mia the dog in on we went to Sgreamhach the wind was getting up which made the rain come down harder to late for the waterproof trousers now a was socking bottom half.

Seen the two cairns which marks the way down the red scree path looks daunting to say the least up we went to Sgreamhach not to hard the same again quick photo then down to the cairns deep breath away we go wasn’t as bad as I thought after about 15-20 mins or so the path go easier down to the flat hidden valley then seen the boulders s***t how are we going to get through that the rain was pouring down now at least we were out of the wind a said to scot will the dug manage it we will see the rocks were covered in the green slime slippy as hell it was a case of this way no lets try and go left three or four steeps stuck again back the way jump down four feet scot went first ave got mia by the scruff of the neck to lower her down done that three or four times to make our way out of the forest and boulders all of a sudden a path happy days must have been 20 minutes stuck in there moved about 50meters on the path back to the car straight forward starting to get a bit dark but no problem stood at the side of the car stripped naked the pair of us wi lorries going by tooting there horns clean cloths on and home laughing all the way.
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach.JPG
from the car park
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (4).JPG
scot on way up
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (5).JPG
Anach Eagach Ridge thats where a seen the group of climbers
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (9).JPG
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (7).JPG
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (9).JPG
Stob Coire nan Lochan
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (16).JPG
Mia
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (18).JPG
lunch time
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (21).JPG
me and mia
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (30).JPG
on way up to SCNL
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (31).JPG
Loch leven loch linnhe
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (37).JPG
not far now to SCNL
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (38).JPG
ON TOP SCNL
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (40).JPG
WAY TO BnB
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (41).JPG
THE RIGDE TO SCS
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (43).JPG
SUMMIT BNB
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (45).JPG
SCOT AND MAI SUMMIT SCS
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (46).JPG
WAY HOME
Bidean Nam Bian Stob coire Sgreamach (51).JPG
FROM INSIDE THE CAR
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Bidean nam Bian Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Postby welshwalker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Looks great! I love Glen Coe and I think your photos really did it justice. I have just checked the most recent update on the weather front which isn't the best for tomorrow, what's your opinion of the walk in terms of strong wind? It will of course be good to do the walk to pick up any feebies left by others he he.
welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Postby quoman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

welshwalker wrote:Looks great! I love Glen Coe and I think your photos really did it justice. I have just checked the most recent update on the weather front which isn't the best for tomorrow, what's your opinion of the walk in terms of strong wind? It will of course be good to do the walk to pick up any feebies left by others he he.

Hi WELSHWALKER
I think your going to get the same weather as a had yesterday the wind wasnt that bad just stayed away from the edges of the coires the waether was to be gusts of 75mph for me but nothing like that porbably 25-30ish at the most only had 2 squirts out of ma juice ha ha. its still a great walk we enjoyed the full day yesterday even in the clag and rain. :D
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby welshwalker » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Changed to Sunday, hoping to get better weather but conditions weren't great so just went up Bidean and left Stob Coire Sgreamhach. How did you find the crossing from Bidean? I got a bit close to the edge in the mist a couple of times which kinda put me off till another time.
welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Postby quoman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 am

welshwalker wrote:Changed to Sunday, hoping to get better weather but conditions weren't great so just went up Bidean and left Stob Coire Sgreamhach. How did you find the crossing from Bidean? I got a bit close to the edge in the mist a couple of times which kinda put me off till another time.

Hi welshwalker

We found the walk/climb not that bad to tell the truth,your right a bit close to the edge but straight forward.I was up the Drumochter hills yesterday Geal Charn 4 was giong to write a report but in the mist most of the way
:(
Attachments
100_0936.JPG
A'Mharconaich summit
quoman
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland