walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Thankyou Mhaim

Thankyou Mhaim

Postby icemandan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 16/11/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 737m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The varied sizes and shapes of the Mhaims, Paps and Ciches give an insight into life before bras. This particular one is a little elongated. Nonetheless it is one of the shapelier hills around Braemar.

We used the bikes again to take the sting out of the track to Derry Lodge. Incidentally if you're cycling, the short cut path from the car park is a bit tough on anything other than an MTB with steps steep hills and deep mud. The main Glen Derry track is nice and smooth and we were soon locking up the bikes.

It's a bit of a quagmire west of the lodge - presumably to discourage cyclists from going any further. Beyond the bog, the path is excellent and Luibeg Burn was soon reached.

P1010195.JPG

Then came the first pleasant surprise of the day. Wandering up the Luibeg path looking up at the slopes of Carn a Mhaim disappearing into the mist and wondering at what point to strike off through the tussocks, we came across an engineered path. There are some who would see this as a desecration of the wilderness but to my mind a discreet and well designed path beats a slithery muddy trench any day.

The path made short work of the ascent and we were soon at the misty summit.
P1010196.JPG

Then the show started. First the sun appeared through the mist;

P1010198.JPG

Then a bit of blue sky

P1010200.JPG

Then the summit rocks were bathed in watery sunlight;

P1010202.JPG

Then Carn Toul appeared

P1010204.JPG

and we were above the inversion

P1010206.JPG

Heading down, there was a view back up of the summit, wreathed in mist

P1010207.JPG

The sunlight picked up small pools across the Glen.

P1010210.JPG

Beinn Bhotrain trailed a banner of cloud

P1010212.JPG

Autumn colours in Glen Derry were picked out by the evening sunlight.

P1010213.JPG

Derry Cairngorm and Ben Macdui showed a palette of reds and golds.

P1010215.JPG

The burn and the pines added blues and greens

P1010217.JPG

The last of the sunlight gave this dramatic silhouette.

P1010218.JPG

There are days when you don't want the walk to end. We picked up the bikes at the lodge and freewheeled down the Glen in a matter of minutes. An unforgettable day.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Thankyou Mhaim

Postby morag1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:25 pm

A great day - really like your photos :thumbup:

I am reading this report with interest - its not too far from Aberdeen and looks a great place to either walk or cycle, might give it a try soon :D
morag1

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Good things come to those who wait :D . The view down Glen Lui and Glen Derry is great from this hill :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alastair S » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:30 am

Nice one :D

As for MTB'ing from the Linn of Dee I now cycle east along the road (for 300-400m) and then pick up the track where it meets the road. While this is longer in distance its about the same in time on the way out and a lot quicker on the way back. The initial part of the track from the road is quite steep but I manage to cycle all of it. On the way back its a real blast :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 am

Nice one Dan,

Is it really as easy and straightforward as you make it sound?? :D

Please say it is!!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gary » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Nice report, was thinking on trying this out tomorrow, on foot though, good pics to as there does not seem to be many reports for Carn o Mhairn on its own.
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Postby skuk007 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Nice report Dan, and some good pictures too, really like the one with the rocks in watery sunlight.
I can almost see my spanners in that first picture (report) :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby icemandan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for the complements

Morag - Its a fairly straightforward walk and there is a bridge that avoids the river crossing if you don't mind a short detour. I recommend cycling as far as Derry Lodge - the track is ok on a hybrid or city bike (As Alastair says - if you're not on a mountain bike use the track not the short cut) and it saves a lot of time.

Polly - Yes the path up is easy all the way up. It looks steep on the map but there are granite steps in a lot of places. If you're better than me at getting up in the morning and have more time, continuing along the ridge and descending down the Glen looks like a good extension even if you don't fancy taking on Macdui.

Skuk - Didn't see your spanners at Luibeg Burn. If I'd done my research properly I'd have had a look for them. I nearly left my bike kit at Glenderry Lodge but fortunately one of my friends saw me cycle off without them and shouted me back.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby monty » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey Dan,
You taking the easy option these days :lol: :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby nathan79 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Great report of a fine walk. :D

I did Carn a'Mhaim in the summer and continued on to Macdui and Derry Cairngorm. A long but fun day. Carn a'Mhaum's a fine hill on it's own and as nice as an inversion is(i wouldn't know for sure as i've never found myself above one), pity it osbcured the good views of Cairn Toul and the Devil's peak across the Lairig Ghru.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland