walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Shee - 6 lost Munros

Glen Shee - 6 lost Munros

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 14/11/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 27 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My advice to anyone wishing to tackle these six Munros would be to chose a good day and take a GPS with you. Unfortunately we had neither despite a good forecast from a couple of days earlier. I might also recommend not doing it in November. It was pitch black when we got back to the van even though we had made an early start. The fact that we spent at least an hour lost at various places didn't help but we did find every hill which was achievement in itself.
Our plan was to park at the finishing point and walk the 5km down the road which was probably the best decision we made all day.
Not much of a day for photos I'm afraid but another six knocked off and still a wild and dramatic part of the country to explore.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

019.JPG
Top of the pass - looking at the weather this might have been a good place to turn back!

023.JPG
Near the Devils Elbow and the real start of the walk.

026.JPG
Glas Maol - inversion and the only clear spot of the day
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Re: Glen Shee - 6 lost Munros

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:06 am

Looks like my kinda weather there,still got Tolmount & Tom Buidhe to do having baled out & only did 4,regret it now. :(
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Glen Shee - 6 lost Munros

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:05 am

If it had been up to my brother we would have baled out too. Glad we made the effort in the end. It's a long way to do them again whatever way you go in.
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland