walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gleouraich agus Spidean Mialach

Gleouraich agus Spidean Mialach

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 16/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having had grand cráic on Bidean nam Bian on Sunday and with a settled weather front this week Colla, the cailleach and the dog took a wee ceilidh to Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach above the drowned Gleann a Ghairidh lands.

If you wish to know the Eachdraidh of these famous lands before they were emptied of people ,debased and then drowned i suggest "The People of Glengarry" by Mairianne MacLean .... a nis caite bheil mi, oh tha :)

Aye the forecast being very promising appeared to be with us as we arrived at the Loch Cioch dam and i will call it Cioch as there is no Q in the Ghaidhlig alphabet :)

DSCF3527.JPG
Sealltainn siar gu an Garbh Criochan agus Sgorr nan Ciche

Tha an rathad suas a bhein math gu dearbh ... the path up the hill is very good and quickly we were gaining the height with the sun shining and good breeze blowing from the SE

DSCF3547.JPG
An drochaid

As we broke the col i got the first glimpse of the "Druim Siar Seile " or South Sheil Ridge ,she was looking just grand and i have her in my sights now 8)

DSCF3552.JPG
Druim Siar Seile leis Sgurr an Lochan

DSCF3557.JPG
Dubh is Geal

It is an enjoyable pull up to the summit and the seallaidh (views) were good all round we were really enjoying Gleouraich of the roaring

DSCF3563.JPG
Seallaidh air ais

DSCF3564.JPG
Agus a ribhist

As we broke the mullach (summit) we had a sgionneil look along the ridge line to Spidean Mialach with everything sharply in focus it looked a nice walk

DSCF3566.JPG
An Cárn is Spidean Mialach

DSCF3571.JPG
Garbh Coire Bheag

Its no hard going at all at this point and we were not to be long reaching Creag Coire an Fiar Bhealaich still in the sunshine :D although its a deciever Gleouraich and looking back you can see the fair drop in height

DSCF3573.JPG
Gleouraich

It is well named the Bealach but in account of the meaning the Gaelic fiar can be "contorted" ,"twisted" ,"meandering" all in all i expected a hard shift down and back up this bealach

we were not disappointed :lol:

DSCF3576.JPG
An Fiar Bhealaich

By this time the céo was lurking out East and so by the time we reached the top it was what you Galldachd call "claggy" there is a wee cárn at 960ish m past that and no to far away is the mullach Spidean Mialach "the lousy peak" ! ...

I m no sure if this refers to the bealaich and its haul up and down or maybes the Spidean is just always céoach/claggy either way i Collaciotach called on the ancestors to blow this "clag" away while Mrs Colla sat in the well made Cárn :lol:

DSCF3582.JPG
An Cárn Spidean Mialach

Ach uill tha sin e ruid eile bha an cinneadh agam a eisdeachd .....my people were listening and they took the clag away fairly sharpish and dumped her on Gleouraich :lol:

DSCF3590.JPG
Loch Fearna is Gairich

DSCF3591.JPG
Dubh is Geal a ribhist

DSCF3594.JPG
dol fódha na greine

It is a pleasure this munro cráic especially "anns a Ghearraidh" when the light i think is at its best.

It was 2pm ish and already the sun was dropping so we followed her down at an easy pace with excellent sky and views to Na Garbh Criochan where a pink sky promised.

Looking back up the route in the coire the sun was splashing her last on Spidean Mialach the lousy peak

DSCF3628.JPG
grian air Spidean

There is a beauty in the air at this time of year short days but if clear a clarity rarily got ,looking West, as the sun dipped the sky was so clear it looked like it could crack !

DSCF3612.JPG
An Grian agus na Garbh Chriochan

DSCF3629.JPG
An iarmailt a Ghearraidh

The land of MacDonnel may be emptied now and by any measure half drowned although that said she retains a modicum of beauty yet for all the desolation of "An Fudach nan Gaidheil" ..... tuilleadh mi air ais

DSCI0076.JPG
Loch Cioch is Na Garbh Criochan

Cheerie for now :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Gleouraich agus Spidean Mialach

Postby kev_russ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Bootiful pics :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby PeteR » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Amazing pictures :D 8) All I got on these two hills was very wet. You show why I must return.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby mrssanta » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Lovely, the light so clear and the colours so beautiful
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby luckyguy68 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 pm

awesome stuff, makes me want to drop everything and head right there!!
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:46 pm

luckyguy68 wrote:awesome stuff, makes me want to drop everything and head right there!!

Ha thats my problem altogether also ..just do it but no this weekend its kinda wet looking :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:48 pm

PeteR wrote:Amazing pictures :D 8) All I got on these two hills was very wet. You show why I must return.

Aye Pete def worth a rturn visit i'd say great places to camp this time of year Loch side without the Summer fisshing parties !! :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 pm

A magical story from a magical land- wonderful!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tamw51 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:38 pm

cracking pics, and a cracking day! i was just across the way on sgurr na ciche and co.. couldnt agree more about the light in the afternoon its a sight! :D
Did these two last may and was a nice we trek, weather not in the same league as yours but still a braw day! :D we walked into barrisdale just after, knackered!! :lol:
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 am

tamw51 wrote:cracking pics, and a cracking day! i was just across the way on sgurr na ciche and co.. couldnt agree more about the light in the afternoon its a sight! :D
Did these two last may and was a nice we trek, weather not in the same league as yours but still a braw day! :D we walked into barrisdale just after, knackered!! :lol:

yer hardy ! ... was on Sgurr nan Ciche in July ...first time in 25yrs ! ,has woken up an old habit and since i ve climbed 25 munros and enjoyed every minute ..... keep at it a bhallaich :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby kevsbald » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Colla,

just saw this as I aim to get up there tomorrow sharpish.

Lovely report.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:35 pm

kevsbald wrote:Colla,

just saw this as I aim to get up there tomorrow sharpish.

Lovely report.

Aye its a grand spot Kev you will enjoy it ,quite a drop in the bealach so be prepared :) .... we ascended Gleouraich first. The weather has been absolute pants ,bit of snow around today though so you may expect white stuff in the Glens of the North West at 500m plus ..... i will order a good day for you :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby dooterbang » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm

A stunning area this - glad you got the views to do it justice.

Reminds me of when i did these in spring and had glorious wether.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby monty » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Lovely report Collaciotach. Some nice photos too. Camped up there for a few days when i done these ones. Nice :D
monty

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland