walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

an Teallach, Dundonnell

an Teallach, Dundonnell

Postby chaserjay » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 16/11/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1000m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Setting out from Grantown on Spey at around 5.30 am, I reckoned this would be my last chance, possibly, to capture the stunning views that would be on offer( subject to the forecast of clear blue skies being correct), on An Teallach. It was 3℃ below driving to Carrbridge, and a crumpled heatseeking roe deer on the roadside confirmed the low temperature. This would be my third ascent of An Teallach athough the spectacular ridge itself has not yet felt my bootsoles. On my first outing this was due to wild weather, and then, due to too late a start on the second....
Inverness was cold and fogbound.
I stopped at the 24 hour Tesco and stored up with the necessary mountaineering provisions, a Tesco BLT triple sandwich, double, a Tesco double Cajun Chicken Wrap Single and 4 Rice Krispie Squares, twice.
There was no chatting with the checkout girl about my pending expedition as I scanned my rations, quietly and robotically, and similarily with my fuel purchase, the fuel pump was not in the least bit interested.
It wasn't until I was leaving Garve that the thick mist showed signs of decreasing, and then it showed signs of thickening which then impacted on the quickening, which as you well know, is another well known Highlander phenomenon.
The glint in the gloaming hung patiently as I pulled into the lay-by at Dundonnell House. I got out for a stretch and the silence could be heard all around, but I was early and shuteye for half an hour.

The Moon and the stars shone and sparkled, but their brightness subtly encapsulated in the aurora of the threatening sunrise. I increased my pace quickly on the ascent, needing to be high enough to capture the first filters. A farmdog barked, at my hurried stonestepping, in the distance and my disturbance of the path adorning ferns also startled some contemplative moorland grouse.
DSC_0347.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

The path was familiar and I quickly climbed to my first stop, a plateau of monolithic randomly parked rocks and in the distnce the Summer Isles looking ever bit their namesake.
DSC_0429.JPG

Every now and then I heard voices behind me, and would look back for my followers, but there was not another soul to be seen, that happens though....doesn't it?

The ghostly voices were interuppted by a trio laid back Ptarmigan.
DSC_0379.JPG

My time was good, but decided, that daylight hours left ( 3.5 Hours) would not be enough to comfortably complete the rigde walk of the Sgurr Fiona and the Corrag Buidhe pinnacles.
DSC_0488.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

DSC_0457.JPG

and I doubt I will be completing it in 2011, unless someone wants to take me in their winter expedition...
but the decision not to go on, allowed me to, once more, appreciate and be grateful for,....the stillness, the sought after stillness, that evades us all.......
DSC_0471.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

DSC_0417.JPG
chaserjay
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   

Re: an Teallach, Dundonnell

Postby Huck Finn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:16 am

Cracking photos, really like 344, it's stunning :thumbup:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby chaserjay » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks Huck, was a brilliant day, totally quiet and calm......
chaserjay
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   

Postby Kevin29035 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:38 am

Just seen this - wow..
I love the photos of Corrag Bhuidhe, the one peeping through the gap is cool, unconventional. Looking at the photos I can just tell how calm that day might have been.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks for posting, great pictures and what a calm day you had. I have an ambition to complete this magnificent Mountain, and this report has wetted my appetite to achieve it more so :D Not sure about those pinnacles tho may need someone to guide me :?

Thanks Again
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland