walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New entry at number 3 in the best walks chart!

New entry at number 3 in the best walks chart!

Postby pigeon » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 13/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1326m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whit a day!Beinn a Bheithir horseshoe was this weekend's chosen hike with the added bonus of the much awaited return of Charlie our resident moviemaker and photographer.Charlie had not set foot on a hill since march so this would sort him right out :lol: Met Ian and jake at balachulish and were away at 0820.
001.JPG
sore start
004.JPG
the pap in the background
Following the walk highlands route we went up past the school then on to the hillside straight up Beinn Bhan,what a ball breaker this proved to be steep slippy heather is no nice and it was a major relief to get this bit over with,thought Charlie might struggle here but he coped well.
007.JPG
a breather halfway up beinn bhan
013.JPG
some salt and a pan on beinn bhan
The 3 of us were pleased to get up here eventually and now started to enjoy our day as we made our way up to the top Sgorr Bhan.
024.JPG
026.JPG
The views from here were great cloud was hugging the rim of the coire making it look like a mad volcano type thing also with the sun behind us we got a couple of brocken spectres.
028.JPG
volcano's edge
031.JPG
033.JPG
spectre 1
On we went and made the top of Sgorr Dhearg it good time,Charlie had done excellent in claiming his first munro in some 7 months.
037.JPG
me and bro in law on sgorr dhearg
Onwards and downwards now to the low point and then up the path to Sgorr Dhonuill
040.JPG
053.JPG
spectre 2
063.JPG
nearly at sgorr dhonuill
064.JPG
,brocken spectres up here again and brilliant views back up glencoe and glen etive.Path is close to the edge in places but we made it up without incident and had a great pitstop up here ,not a breath of wind and we could hardly believe it was november,
067.JPG
memorial
068.JPG
pigeon and huck finn
072.JPG
charlie and ian
074.JPG
sat and enjoyed the scene for a good bit before heading down into the woods,this is where it went a bit pear shaped (for me anyway).
082.JPG
heading down
No sure which path we took but am convinced it was the wrong one ,we could see the odd footprint as we entered the trees but it looked more like something from jurassic park,boggy, slippy, dark nightmare then wallop,down i went ,much to Ian and Charlies amusement,was quite funny right enough but if i hadn't manage to grab a big tuft o grass it could have been head to toe mud bath for me likes.
084.JPG
back on terra firma
088.JPG
anybody tell us what these hills are away to the west?
Eventually came out of the woods to find a track that took us all the way back to the village and 7 happy ours later we were shifted and in the local boozer for the customary ale .Great great day ,in the top 3 for me and welcome back Charlie ,a great effort
091.JPG
customary ale stop
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: New entry at number 3 in the best walks chart!

Postby kev_russ » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Some pics there pigeon. That volcanoe one is a cracker :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Hills to the west are Garbh Bheinn, the Loch Linhe one as opposed to the one near the Pap !

Walk described in WH as Garbh Bheinn of Ardgour, ascent from Glen Tarbert.

Never done it but photographed it from Glencoe enough times !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Good report Gigantor, it was good to be back, I had a cracking day and was pleased at how well I managed it. I did we wee report as well and put some pics on, I will knock a video clip together over the next couple of days.
Thanks again for the invite along, looking forward to the next one already :D
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:44 am

Whit a day indeed Pigeon!

Another brilliant report but what was the pot and salt all about? Do you think someone had heard about your omnipresent soup???? :D :D

PS give us a smile in your photos!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:08 am

Another great day pigeon and some atmospheric shots - esp #26 and #28. :thumbup: I was so very, very nearly on these two today myself but in the end had to stay back home. :( May yet meet you sometime on a hill. Cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Dave, video clip as promised, I made a boob with it, it's really only 3m31secs long, Youtube has it down at over 5 minutes, I forgot to trim the music back :(
Hope you enjoy :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OfWYjVsip0[/youtube]
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Postby Fudgie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:30 am

The way the cloud hugged one side of the mountain is one of the strangest things I've ever seen. That was a good read.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 am

One or two other pics from our day out yesterday :)

25.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.jpg
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:40 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Whit a day indeed Pigeon!

Another brilliant report but what was the pot and salt all about? Do you think someone had heard about your omnipresent soup???? :D :D

PS give us a smile in your photos!!! :lol:
There is no smiling or laughing allowed on our trips Polly!Fudgie and kev,never seen that before either ,it happened on our way up both hills ,the coire,s full of cloud and then the other side of the ridge totally clear,cool likes :lol:
rockhopper wrote:Another great day pigeon and some atmospheric shots - esp #26 and #28. :thumbup: I was so very, very nearly on these two today myself but in the end had to stay back home. :( May yet meet you sometime on a hill. Cheers
A near miss then Rockhopper,get ye one day :lol:
spiderwebb wrote:Hills to the west are Garbh Bheinn, the Loch Linhe one as opposed to the one near the Pap !

Walk described in WH as Garbh Bheinn of Ardgour, ascent from Glen Tarbert.Cheers spiderwebb,an old guy told us it was meant to look like the Queen's head :? Looking at it now if you turned it on it's side i can see king kong :lol:

Never done it but photographed it from Glencoe enough times !
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby highland rambler » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:50 pm

A great report and some magical photos - my favourite's: Volcano's edge & nearly at Sgorr Dhonuill.
One of my favourite walks so with your experience interesting to see you rate it so highly!
The walk up Beinn Bhan is a mission!! :lol:
If you have any friends looking to visit the area we've just bought a bungalow in Ballachulish which will be available for holiday lets from February with good rates available.
Regards :D
highland rambler
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   
Fionas:1   

Postby danielsutherland » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:31 am

Some great atmospheric pictures threre, i've allways wanted to expierence cloud forming like that. Would be interesting to find out how that occurs, it must be some kind of air current running up the clear side of the hill??
Great report

Daniel
danielsutherland

Munros:129   Corbetts:42
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:05 pm

What a great set of photos, #26 cutting thru the heather looks like hell though, the ones on the tops and the cloud shouts are realy nice. Thats a destination I'll add to my list, the pub I mean :lol:
Cheers for sharing
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby pigeon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:05 pm

highland rambler wrote:A great report and some magical photos - my favourite's: Volcano's edge & nearly at Sgorr Dhonuill.
One of my favourite walks so with your experience interesting to see you rate it so highly!
The walk up Beinn Bhan is a mission!! :lol:
If you have any friends looking to visit the area we've just bought a bungalow in Ballachulish which will be available for holiday lets from February with good rates available.
Regards :D
A bungalow in Ballachulish with good rates ,now that could be very handy :lol: Was a great day we had always enjoy visiting this area and we were very lucky with the weather,cheers Rambler :thumbup:
danielsutherland wrote:Some great atmospheric pictures threre, i've allways wanted to expierence cloud forming like that. Would be interesting to find out how that occurs, it must be some kind of air current running up the clear side of the hill??
Great report

Daniel
Cheers Daniel,was strange seeing the clouds like that,
MarilynMunro wrote:What a great set of photos, #26 cutting thru the heather looks like hell though, the ones on the tops and the cloud shouts are realy nice. Thats a destination I'll add to my list, the pub I mean :lol:
Cheers for sharing
Aye it was a good one marilyn and the walk was no bad either :lol: the heather was tough going but once you get by that the rest of the walk is good going,keep this one for a good day
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland