walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

hmmmmmmm...BEINN DUBHCHRAIG!

hmmmmmmm...BEINN DUBHCHRAIG!

Postby Bod » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 am

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig

Date walked: 19/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13.9 km

Ascent: 951m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

All credit to us, Valerie and I were up and away from the house by 7.00am heading for the hills again on a Saturday morning (though maybe 6.00am would have helped us today?). We will have to work on these early rises especially for the winter months, and maybe even try an odd early night :lol:

Beinn Dubhchraig and Ben Oss was the order of the day leaving from the carpark at Dalrigh just a couple of kilometres back southeast from Tyndrum. Walking by 9.15 we were soon across the river, over the railway and crossing the scary footbridge over the Allt Gleann Auchreoch.

It has to be said now that unless you love bog-walking you should consider leaving this ascent to the driest summer days or pick good cold winter days as the path has far more than its fair share of bog and slippy roots. However, we did enjoy some lovely areas of native pine and birch trees. Ritchie loved all the bog!

We stopped for a good long break once out of the trees and studied the surrounding as I had not yet decided the full extend of the day and how we might retreat? Several deer were watching us too from above the forest line. Beinn Dubhchraig was completely covered in thick cloud from about 650 metres! Onwards though we went on a path that remained very wet all the way up to 900 metres above sea-level. I was now requiring to navigate aided by the use of map and compass as this bumpy wide ridge in thick clag is deceptive and difficult to follow. I was happy to locate the lochans at this level from where we quickly made the final climb up onto the summit some 600 metres away with a further 70 metre climb. Did not stay on the top for long as it was not the best of conditions, and we were heading for Ben Oss, plus the lochans looked a nicer spot to have a quick refeshment.

One or two alarm bells were starting to ring in my my head, due in main to the weather conditions. Ben Oss was not going to be simple jaunt there and back again, assuming we would use the same path again to descend? But we headed off westwards and made the initial trip towards the bealach of Coire Garbh. The call was made though and we decided to leave Ben Oss for another day (perhaps on a trip that is planned to Ben Lui?); we turned around and ploughed through the mists heading for the wee ridge directed for Allt Dubh. I was considering dropping down to Coronish to see if the wee footbridge marked on the map exists?

The mini-ridges, bumps, lochans and clag were a confusing and eerie experience, the kind of thing you need from time to time. This is providing you know something of what you are doing with your trusty map & compass. We enjoyed a spell just deciding where was the best point to drop off back down, and this provided Valerie and I with some thought provoking discussion and excitement. It really is always quite amazing how deceptive even small features can be when you are caught out in difficult conditions.

The main precaution for me was avoiding being caught out still high up the mountains as darkness fell! This was easily avoided, but only because we took the correct decision to adjust our route to suit. We did of course both have head-torches in our packs and some spare batteries.

Hope you enjoy the pictures, especially those of the ancient trees and the dodgy (but fun) bridge....... :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
13a.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
20.JPG
21.JPG
22.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG
Last edited by Bod on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: hmmmmmmm...BEINN DUBHCHRAIG!

Postby Jock McJock » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:04 am

Hi Bod,

Done these two fairly recently and can fully appreciate what you went through as far as the bog trot is concerned. That trek up through the forest is pretty awful although it is a very picturesque place to be. Like you, I wasn't sure what way to descend and opted for the steep run down to Cononish where I can confirm the wee bridge does exist. Well done to you both on getting up and out on a day that really wasn't that great and when MWIS was all doom and gloom, lol :lol: I was working today but don't think I'd even have bothered based on the weather reports.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:03 am

Good effort both of you in that bog & mist,still got these two on my to do list,but maybe next year now after a spell of dry weather.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:06 am

It's a shame you had to turn back but a wise move , wouldn't fancy that boggy track or the bridge in the dark. I was eyeing up Ben Oss from Ben Lui recently , that might make a nice round of three with Beinn a'Chleibh. Cheers :)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Jockstar » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:37 am

What a difference a week makes...last week bliss this week - back to the clag and a really boggy day out on the hills.
Good bit of navigating Bod and the only question I have is did you let Val go over the bridge first?? lol :lol: glad to see Richie
showing you the way :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby jonny616 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Well done you two.that route is very wet lower down .
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Nice report Bod, I know what you mean about the navigating and baling out at the right time, something I left a little too close for comfort on Cruach Ardrain/Beinn Tulaichean yesterday.
That "bridge" looks seriously iffy in the first pic, but only lightly better when Richie is checking it out for you :lol:
For all the conditions you still got some really good photos, cheers for posting.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Did these in about 1986 a day of snow n mist which menat bailing out of Beinn Lui :) .... good report , i gave the hills a pass this weekend with the weather forecast being crap ....think i m glad i did going by the reports :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Bod » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Jockstar wrote:What a difference a week makes...last week bliss this week - back to the clag and a really boggy day out on the hills.
Good bit of navigating Bod and the only question I have is did you let Val go over the bridge first?? lol :lol: glad to see Richie
showing you the way :D

Hi Jockstar, I of course tested the bridge first myself by carefully placing my feet over the beams (railway rails). Ritchie followed closely on his lead behind me, then came Valerie. I have some funny pics of her facial expressions... :lol:
Bod
Walker

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:59 pm

I fancied doing the two for a while but after seeing the bog pictures I guess I will leave it for a very cold day :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dogplodder » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Reckon I'll leave these two for the next long drought! :lol:

You've got some nice shots of Ritchie and the autumn colours though. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Hmmmm...certainly boggy and claggy bod and a pity about Ben Oss - hopefully it'll be a lot nicer when you return especially if you're including Ben Lui :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Valerie has finally agreed to let me post this photo of her crossing the bridge - hilarious, check the expression! :lol:
It is fair to say that it is a hairy-scary bridge :shock: :crazy:
DSCN4849.JPG
Bod
Walker

Postby Clach Liath » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Yep - it is the time of year for bogs :evil: I can also vouch for the confusing terrain. :?
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Bod wrote:Valerie has finally agreed to let me post this photo of her crossing the bridge - hilarious, check the expression! :lol:
It is fair to say that it is a hairy-scary bridge :shock: :crazy:
DSCN4849.JPG

Naughty boy Bod, you should have had Val roped up for that bridge crossing :D Thats one of the down sides of being a teacher you're not used to getting up early in the morning :D Great report again and i think that boggy section is allways boggy and no way to avoid it.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland