walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach, and the builder of Dortmund

Postby clivegrif » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 13/05/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1323m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ah, Liathach. What a mountain.
This was the first visit to Torridon for my climbing chum Geordie, and the weather was exceptionally good. Although I had seen it many times before, that moment when Liathach first appears, rearing up and impossibly steep, still takes the breath away. Obligatory photo break at Loch Claire!
We camped at the free (!) site at the coastal end of the Glen – thank you National Trust for Scotland, I’m sure it helps prevent indiscriminate camping, but it is also a cracking facility.
After a relaxing day bimbling on Ben Alligin to recover from our exertions on Tower Ridge (more on that soon, dear reader) it was back to business on Liathach.
The last time I was here they were rebuilding the path alongside the Allt an Doire Ghairbh, and so I tried the Coire Dubh Mor path. That way is further and more ‘interesting’ particularly the exposed sandstone wall that has to be scaled, with its views all the way to the bottom of Coire Dubh Mor almost 2,000 feet below.
This time however, we picked up the new path at the small cairn a couple of hundred yards east of Glen Cottage. I have to say the team that rebuilt the path has done an excellent job, it forms a steep rocky staircase all the way to the top of the high coire, topping out at the level saddle between Stob a Choire Liath Mhor and Bidean Toll a Mhuic.
Turning west, the ridge narrows briefly with a gully falling away to the south. Onwards and upwards on the Quartzite blocks that cap Stob a Choire Liath Mhor. Down to a sharply defined col, and then up to Liathach’s main peak, the stony Spidean a Choire Leith. Catch your breath, have a strategic photography break, for the best is yet to come! Ahead are the teeth of the Am Fasarinen Pinnacles with the huge almost vertical cliff face on the north side, and the south side not exactly a gentle slope either.
Down a steep and stony path to the end of the Quartzite belt into Sandstone, and then the fun begins. The elements have eroded the sandstone top into weird shapes and keeping as close to the ridge crest as possible provides maximum excitement. Some pinnacles are flat topped, some more spiky. There is even an airy gang-plank to walk. Whilst none are particularly technical in climbing terms they all have spectacular drops to both sides, the right especially, and so do need great care.
The Pinnacles done, follow the rim of the coire upwards to a minor top, and in sight of the second Munro of the day Mullach an Rathain. We arrived at this point in time to see a very powerfully built chap smash the summit cairn with his boot! He then sat down next to the pile of rubble, and very carefully and precisely began to rebuild the cairn. By the time we arrived at the summit, he was well into his work. ‘Hello, what an amazing day?’ We ventured. ‘Hello, yes it is’ he replied in an accent that was clearly much from further east than Aberdeen. “Have you come far? asks Geordie. ‘From Dortmund, in Germany’. ‘Oh’. After a pregnant pause, the question just had to be asked ‘What are you doing to the cairn?’ ‘It wasn’t very good, so I’m making a new one’. ‘Oh’. Another pause. ‘Do you often do that?’ ‘Yes’, he replies ‘you see I am builder, and I like to see these things done properly. Every year I come to Scotland to climb the Munros, and every year I rebuild cairns. We have a TV programme about the Munros in Germany, and I have seen many of my cairns’.
He may have been talking complete nonsense for all we knew, but the thought of German precision cairn building in the Scottish mountains is quite appealing.
After taking his picture, we bid this bonkers German builder farewell. It is reassuring to know that other countries besides Britain have their eccentrics too.
The route down is the steep stone chute of Toll Ban. It gets you down very quickly, but doesn’t do your boots much good. About halfway down pick up a good path and wind on down the rest of the way to the road, emerging only a few hundred yards from the campsite.
Quick bite to eat, then down to the Sea shore with a couple of bottles to watch the sunset. Fabulous! What a place this is.
Attachments
IMG_3664.JPG
IMG_3698.JPG
Spidean
IMG_3707.JPG
Pinnacle scrambling
IMG_3708.JPG
IMG_3709.JPG
IMG_3714.JPG
Mullach.jpg
German builder at work.jpg
Liathach & Beinn Eighe.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Re: Liathach, and the builder of Dortmund

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:59 pm

You can't beat meeting a friendly nutcase to round off a nice day out ! What a place ... lovely photos :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Jock McJock » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Lol, had a good wee laugh at this one. From now on, whenever I reach a summit cairn, I will be thinking did the mad German build this one? :lol: Loved the pics, can't wait to get myself up into this area, stunning looking place :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby bgmb42 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:45 pm

I am a German and I regard myself as mildly interested in Scotland and Munrobagging (200 and counting) but I am not aware of any German TV programme about Munros. And to be a counterpart to that builder from Dortmund (and that cliche of german precision) i have never ever placed a single stone on any cairn.

Great pictures, btw.
bgmb42
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:1

Postby clivegrif » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Cheer up bgmb42!
We didn't mind if the guy was talking tosh, we thought he was a great advert for your country!

...and by the way, a daft superstition worked its way into my head years ago, and as a result I HAVE to put at least a small stone on every summit cairn I reach. No idea what will happen if I don't - but I'm not risking it! :D
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby bgmb42 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:35 am

:-)

I'll touch every summit cairn - that's all. Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories.

But my walking mate Cord (215 and counting) is a "stone-on-cairn-putter" as well tough he doesn't rebuild them. So i am quite used to that ritual habit. ;-)
bgmb42
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:1

Postby paul2610 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 am

arh memories, was years ago I was on this one but still remember the climb up - good thing about this forum is seeing routes without cloud - can atleast now apprechiate what views would be like - cheers
paul2610
Hill Bagger

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:56 am

Ahhh brings back the memories of when i was up there in July, one of my best walks to date :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Alan S » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Excellent report and pics mate :D that 1st one is postcard quality 8)
Always enjoy a report on Liathach, Thanks :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Nutters are transborder. Liathach however is all ours. 8)

Torridon rocks. 8)
kinley

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland