walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

hmmmmmmm...BEINN DUBHCHRAIG!

hmmmmmmm...BEINN DUBHCHRAIG!

by Bod » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 am

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig

Date walked: 19/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13.9 km

Ascent: 951m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: hmmmmmmm...BEINN DUBHCHRAIG!

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Good effort on getting out in the hills on what looked like a pretty miserable day,looks boggy as hell up there. :shock:

I had these penned in to do when i stayed in Tyndrum for a few claggy wet days in June,but bottled out after reading previous reports about the terrain & went elsewhere instead. Think it was a wise choice after seeing your photo's! A shame really as they look like cracking mountains in that area.

Maybe save them for one of the summer days next April! :)
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Redrock » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey Bod - good to see your latest post. That is some walk up to Beinn Dubhchraig - dodgy bridge, bogs and all! I climbed this one along with Beinn Oss last December in icy cold conditions - but it was nice and clear. The frost didn't help the bogs - they had turned into great lumpy sheets of hard ice! But the view at the top was great that day! :D Here's what it looked like without the clag! 8)

P1050375.JPG
South from Beinn Dubhchraig - 13 December 2010
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby monty » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:07 am

Sounds like a nice bog trot Bod and then a scary bumpy landscape in the mist. Nice photos. Good call to leave Oss on this occasion. That bridge does look dodgy :lol:
monty

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi Bod,

Super, well detailed report as ever. I had a bit of a palaver (fancy that!) trying to get up to Dubhcraig. On my first attempt I missed the boggy turn-off and headed for Fiarach instead :shock: and then on the second attempt I had the gallant Gagfax guiding me through the bog and fortunately up the correct hill this time. Again the conditions were atrocious so we decided to leave Oss for another day. Despite feeling like an eejit for missing the turn-off, one of the forum users said that going via Fiarach was actually a really good route as it misses out most of the bog!

Yes you could easily add Oss onto Ben Lui and Ben a Chleib (?sp) but remember you will still have a very very wet bogtrot at the end of it!!!

I still have to go back to Oss, so will be looking for any handy hints if anyone has them :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:26 pm

We climbed ben Oss and Dubhchraig from a wild camp up at the top of Glen Cononish in May 2010. we walked in one day, Lui and Beinn a'chleibh the next day, then we went up ben Oss straight up the north west shoulder. no bog at all. but pretty steep. It was frosty overnight and cold. we went along the ridge to Dubgchraig and then north via the northern shoulder and straight down to the glen. steep again but no real difficulty and not partic boggy.. As I remember we crossed the burn at the farm, and came back via the track. we walked out the next morning and managed to get up to Stob a'Choire Odhar that day. maybe I should do a trip report about these ones too.

oss(1).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Paula Hubens » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Mmm, brings back good (and fair to say drier) memories. Well done in the squelch and fog. You must definitely go back on a sunny day and include Ben Lui!!! Very much worth it.
Paula Hubens

Postby ndhudson » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Holy bog-fest, Bod!!! :shock: And that dodgy bridge...the pic of Valerie says it all...but I bet you pulled a similar face when you crossed, Bod. :D

Good stuff, great report and pictures!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Steve B » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Love the picture of the good lady. I know how she felt. I think there has been a repair to it as I remember having to step over a gap in the planks about a metre onto it. I took 2 goes at it :shock:
Had similar conditions last February but at least it was frozen towards the top. The woods are a great walk though.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Bod » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks everyone for all the comments and contributions on this one, I never imagined there would be quite so much. It was as you might say, another great day out on the hill! :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Gleneagle5 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:51 pm

Did it today. Fine day but still a total bog through the woods. The bridge is no longer there but managed to scramble over the burn.
Gleneagle5
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:19
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:18   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:46 am

Nice one Bod and Val.....spot on regarding days like these to refresh those skills.....The ones less often used.
Dodgy bridge :lol: :lol: :lol: it's coming on a treat as when I did these there were no railway sleepers just the two rails and not wanting to split my difference had to cross the burn. And you all know how I love we feet :lol: not. Only one soggy foot fortunately :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby mband » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:08 pm

If you intend going back would really recomend the approach from Coonish farm, done both and this way is much better!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47902&p=262075&hilit=Dubhchraig#p262075
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:32 pm

Climbed this in 1992 and also 2002, and have written three words about this hill, Very Wet Track :lol: :lol: Not a hill I'll be rushing up again. Good effort all the same, fed up with this Summer so far!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:40 pm

mband wrote:If you intend going back would really recomend the approach from Coonish farm, done both and this way is much better!

This is a good alternative to the bog. There's also an interesting route up Ben Oss from the bridge, up the W bank of the Allt Coire Chruinn and then a vague spur leading to the col between Oss and its 941m top.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland