walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn,A'Mharconaich,Beinn Udlamain,Sgairneach Mhor

Geal Charn,A'Mharconaich,Beinn Udlamain,Sgairneach Mhor

Postby quoman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 20/11/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Off we go again up to the drumochter hills.
Decided to do Geal Charn, A’Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, and Sgairneach Mhor.

Picked up Alec and Bear the dug 06.00, up the A9 quite busy for a Sunday got tot the car park at 07.30 a think were the first got booted and suited
Of we go over the rail track followed the path very muddy after about 10 mins on the go talking not looking where we were stopped looked left were on the wrong side of the path
Sh*** looked across the valley lets go back to the wee bridge about 200 yards away so of we go.

5 minutes or so later on the bloody right path noo what a pair of d***s :lol: a thought started on the way up still muddy no gaiters on there in the house a straight forward hill to start with
1hr10 mins, at the cairn no to bad then the clag cleared looked over to our right ah a summit of we go 10 mins later at the right top checked the Garmin spot on quick photo on we go
Of to A’Mharconaich in the mist again sitting on the top a very rounded hill had a break for 20 mins or so still no pic’s of the scenery. :(

Packed up camp and head for Beinn Udlamain followed the old iron fence posts basically all the way to the top the mist cleared back and forth so got some pic,s of the loch sat for 10 min,s or so to have a wee drink of juice, still following the posts headed down to the boggy Bealach on the way down a heard a wahoo looked round Alec’s on his arse see pic of the result. up the path to sgairneach Mhor wide and featureless plateau still in the mist checking the gps on the right route the all of a sudden the summit appeared thought about putting the stove back on but didn’t bother a couple of photos then of we go Alec said that’s good timing 4hrs for the four summits still a good walk down to the road at the Alt Coire Dhomhain over a good heather hillside another 20 min’s or so back on the A9 hear we go 4klm walk a said you keep on the bicycle route and I will try and thumb a lift never tried it before the thumb went oot nae luck yet just about at the big car park at the side A9 the a wee ford ka stopped ya beauty in a go said thanks for stopping I asked where he was heading thurso he asked me and :thumbup: a said just along the road to the cottage didn’t catch his name but he was Italian been over here for a year. Stopped at the cottage got changed then down to pick alec and the dog up then hame if it wasn’t for the lift it would have been a sore walk back.
Geal Charn (6).JPG
Balsporran Cottage
Geal Charn (12).JPG
Aec and Bear on the way up
Geal Charn (14).JPG
Geal Charn summit
Geal Charn (17).JPG
loch Ericht
100_0936.JPG
A'Mharconaich summit me alec bear
100_0939.JPG
Bear and me top Beinn Udlamain
Geal Charn (30).JPG
the big slide
Sgairneach Mhor.JPG
last summit Sgairneach Mhor
100_0948.JPG
New Bridge ove Alt Corie Dhomhain then A9
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Geal Charn,A'Mharconaich,Beinn Udlamain,Sgairneach Mhor

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:07 am

The new bridge in your last photo will certainly be useful ! Walked these hills and the Sow of Atholl back at the end of May but needed to change into flipflops and get the walking poles out to cross the Allt (and used a bike for the A9 section in case I didn't get a lift). Pity about the weather but at least you got some clear spells - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Geal Charn,A'Mharconaich,Beinn Udlamain,Sgairneach Mhor

Postby quoman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:51 am

Cheers rockhopper.
Atleast it stayed dry all day, tried to cross the river further up a couple of times but to deep the dog crossed the river nae problem so Alec had to take the chance and cross he got away with it :lol: so that was me slogging through the heather to the bridge thank god it was there :D
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland