walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount battock from Glen dye

Mount battock from Glen dye

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:43 am

Route description: Mount Battock via Clachnaben

Corbetts included on this walk: Mount Battock

Date walked: 16/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 778m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mount battock from glen dye

Turn right at Strachan and take cairn o mount road pass clachnaben car park and continue onwards for approximately 2 miles until crossing small bridge and take next right down hard core road about 100 yards where you can park around 3 cars.
After getting ready I headed through gait across bridge and turned left and headed towards charr bothy and continued straight ahead past it. the track swings right and is quite flat for the first few miles.
After crossing the burn a couple times (not a problem ) the track starts to head up hill and comes out at a junction turn left and follow the track round to mount battock passing a hut which I guess is for hanging the grouse going by the amount of shooting buts.
There is a track leading up to the summit off the main land rover track left of the first parking area the grouse shooters must use.
There is very little in the way of shelter on this walk should the pelting rain come on but I did not have that problem I just had dreich conditions low cloud and mist with about 10 yards visibility
But when a reached the summit I switched my creative Zen to radio mode and Jeremy vine was playing the specials aka, a message to you Rudy so that cheered me up at least since I could see nowt through the pea soup conditions.
Attachments
SAM_0509 (1024x768).jpg
Fairly clear.
SAM_0515 (1024x768).jpg
Dreich.
SAM_0517 (1024x768).jpg
Dreicher.
SAM_0518 (1024x768).jpg
Pea soup.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Re: Mount battock from Glen dye

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Jeez, that clag looks just about thick enough to hang your jacket on! :lol: Was thinking about this as a possible target for the first weekend in December. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Mount battock from Glen dye

Postby Liathach » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:14 pm

It's a very easy stroll up Land Rover tracks from Millden Lodge in Glen Esk. Cars can be parked at Mill of Aucheen farm. A nice circuit when returning over Hill of Saughs.
Liathach

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland