walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfect day in Glencoe

Perfect day in Glencoe

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 22/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1100m

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When a 10 year old comes into the bedroom on a school morning declaring "wake up!!! It's five to nine" you get the feeling it's not going to be a good day...... WRONG!!!! A quick pack of the rucksack while the other half gets shorty sorted for school and we are out the door for 9.20. I drop one off at school, the other at work then it's up the a82. Clear blue skies along the way fill me with optimism that today was going to be a cracker.
As I got to Loch Tulla I hit a blanket of fog, eventually rising above it as I approached the viewpoint carpark just North of the Loch. I just had to pull in and savour it, and I wasn't the only one, as car after car pulled in and out came the occupants with their cameras. This is the scenery the tourists come here for, and today, Scotland wasn't disappointing them!!
DSC_0026.JPG
Orchy hills
DSC_0041.JPG
Beautiful

Another few minutes up the a82 and I was pulling in again, this time for Buachaille Etive Mor, it has to be one of the most beautiful sights in the country on a day like this, and with the Aonach Eagach Ridge just beyond, this only added to the attraction.
DSC_0050.JPG
The Bookil
DSC_0051.JPG
Zoomed

Eventually I dragged myself back into the car and got myself to the White Corries carpark. By now I was slightly worried about time, as it was 11.30 by the time I was on my merry way, thankfully the headtorch and plenty spare batteries were packed.
I can't say the plod up the start of this walk under the chair lift is the most inspiring I've ever done, but some nice waterfalls along the Allt na Giubhas helped keep the interest levels up.
DSC_0071.JPG
No skiers today
DSC_0083.JPG
Waterfall

Once onto the level ground both of todays targets came into view, but it was craggy Sron na Creise that stole the limelight. I headed right over two small bridges, and from here to the start of the Meall a'Bhuridh ridge the going was soggy to say the least, and a few back tracks were required.
Behind me, beyond the chair lift, was Rannoch Moor stretching towards Schiehallion and the Lawers range, and to the North The Mamores and The Ben, which sat with its head in the clouds. I also took a little wander off course for a better view of Stob Dearg which was peeking out behind Sron na Creise on the other side of Glen Etive.
DSC_0084.JPG
The two bridges
DSC_0085.JPG
Creise, Stob a'Ghlais Choire & Sron na Creise
DSC_0087.JPG
Meall a'Bhuiridh
DSC_0097.JPG
Rannoch Moor and distant Schiehallion & Lawers range
DSC_0104.JPG
Stob Dearg zoomed
DSC_0111.JPG
The Mamores & The Ben
DSC_0115.JPG
Zoomed

Eventually I dragged myself away and pushed on up the ridge towards the boulders, which were coated in frost, and care had to be taken here. Finally made it to the summit, and even with the increasing amount of cloud around, the view was breathtaking, and I only wish I had more time to take it all in. Got a few snaps, took on some much needed sandwiches, chocolate and water, and headed for the fine looking ridge over to Creise.
DSC_0134.JPG
Summit
DSC_0137.JPG
View North
DSC_0142.JPG
Loch Tulla and Orchy Munros
DSC_0138.JPG
Ridge towards Creise

The ridge leading towards Creise was a delight, with little Loch an Easain far below to the left and Cam Ghleann to the right with its attractive Gorge
DSC_0152.JPG
Loch an Easain
DSC_0158.JPG
Cam Ghleann
A bit of scrambling fun was had on the ascent up the ridge which brings you to a Cairn at the top, and from there its an easy stroll around the Corrie rim to the summit
DSC_0164.JPG
Route upto plateau
DSC_0171.JPG
Towards Creise summit

Again fine views which I didn't really have time to fully appreciate as it was now pushing 4.00pm and I wanted to be back over Meall a'Bhuiridh's summit and over the frosty boulders before light faded completely. Thankfully I just about done that, but the rise back upto a'Bhuiridh was a struggle at the pace I had to go. I got down onto the flat plateau and got the headtorch out, and it was a slow plod through the bogs back to the chairlift, slipping and sliding along the way, and landing twice on my bahooki!! finally I could see the lights of the Ski Centre below me, but it was now pitch black and progress was slow. Eventually I made it off in one piece, but was cursing having slept in and having to descend in darkness. Was it worth it??? You bet it was!!!! 8)

A few views from Creise summit...
DSC_0205.JPG
The Big Buachaille in all its glory
DSC_0206.JPG
Glen Etive
DSC_0212.JPG
Me at the summit cairn
DSC_0233.JPG
Setting sun
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Perfect day in Glencoe

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:13 pm

What a lovely day -really like the blanket of cloud picture and the other ones...great report!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Steve B » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Good report. It is good timing too. I am planning on these 2 to get me to 100 in a weeks time. Hoping for the same views as yourself.
Thanks for posting.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Cracking photos, i got a similar day to you when i did these two.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Dave, you lucky............person! As you know, I've been waiting ages to get weather like that for the Bookil :lol:

Envious reading your report and looking at those great photos :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby kinley » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:59 pm

A serious mix of jealousy and enjoyment reading that. :)
kinley

Postby kev_russ » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Stunning pics :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby PeteR » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Blue skies......great weather.........stunning views.......no clag........no rain....and seemingly no gales. Where's the fun in that :lol:

Not that we're jealous :lol: Some stunning photos of these two. I've only ever done them in the snow, but the autumn colours looked great. And the views you get of the surrounding area is amazing isn't it 8)

If only the forecast for Sunday was as promising as the day you had :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Bod » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Enjoyed this tale of your day very much indeed....what a cracker and great views to share :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby jonny616 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Great report. Enjoyed these two when i did them. Also lucky enough to be out on tuesday myself
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby spiderman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:47 pm

I enjoyed your account of your day and your photos. I particularly like your photo of the Buachaille, side on, the detail of Curved Ridge and the Rannoch Wall are excellent.
spiderman
Rambler

Postby metafor » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Cracking report and cracking photies, liked the one of the orchy munros, heres one i done earlier
100_1234.JPG
metafor
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:09 pm

metafor wrote:heres one i done earlier

I like that one very much :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Mega super report Dave, your best ever !!!

Snaps??? I don't think so!!! Your photographs are brilliant. Glad you got off the hill in one piece and in time to help with your daughter's homework???
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:17 am

Wouldn't know where to start picking out the best pic in that lot! Have long had an eye on these two and this just whets my appetite even more. Brilliant report. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland