walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Disappointing 2

Disappointing 2

Postby Tomsie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:50 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 22/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left Aberdeen at 6am and headed to Glenshee ski centre, rain was pouring down most of the way and was still a bit drizzly when I got to the car park after dodging some deer just past Braemar. Was still dark so waited till a bit brighter just before 8am, walked past centre and followed tows up towards Carn Aosda, path was ok even with the amount of rain that had fallen last bit was a bit steep, no view here so only stayed a few mins before heading over towards Cairnwell passing the loch which I could just about see.

1 Start.jpg

2 View.jpg

3 Carn Aosda.JPG

5 Loch Vrotachan.JPG

Stopped off at cairn 873m on the way over for a little rest and a bit of food before following the ski fence up to Cairnwell, which is disappointing with the stations, unless looking south but no view here either and didn’t look like the cloud was going to budge.

6 The Cairnwell.jpg

7 The Cairnwell.jpg

8 Ptarmigan.jpg

Headed back over too cairn 873m to take up path for Carn a Gheoidh and as I was descending the cloud started to lift over Carn Aosda and eventually west side was completely free from cloud giving views all around except Glas Maol.

9 Glimmer of hope.jpg

10 Moving In.JPG

So was able to get a few photo’s, as I was doing good time decided to go over to Carn nan Sac first, the walk over too last munro of day was very boggy but made a much better walk then earlier, walk up to summit was bit slippy so just took diagonal route, at the top views were great and it is a vast plateau . Headed back on lower ground and then came down by the ski runs, where I met first person of the day, other then 2 other walkers that were in car park earlier who must have being going to Glas Maol munro’s. If it wasn’t for the walk over to Carn a Gheoidh this would be a fairly disappointing walk.

11.JPG

12 Carn nan Sac.JPG

13 Plateau.JPG

14 Carn a Gheoidh.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG
17.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

20 Cairn.jpg

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

Seek.JPG

Cloud 1.JPG

Cloud.JPG
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Disappointing 2

Postby mrssanta » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:17 am

I do like that pic on the top of Carn Aosda, very atmospheric!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:48 pm

You got changeable weather i see, but nice once the blue sky came out. Agree about Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell , a shame the ski center has ruined these two. You should have held off a few days before tackling these, see Quomans report.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Tomsie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:36 pm

mrssanta wrote:I do like that pic on the top of Carn Aosda, very atmospheric!

Yeah I thought it was a little weird, its a new camera and have a course booked so soon will be able to give more info on why it turned out like that
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Tomsie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:You got changeable weather i see, but nice once the blue sky came out. Agree about Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell , a shame the ski center has ruined these two. You should have held off a few days before tackling these, see Quomans report.

Yeah had a look at that report, makes it a bit of a challenge even if their just off the road.
Tomsie
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland