walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar Dawn

Lochnagar Dawn

by Alastair S » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1071m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Lochnagar Dawn

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Loved the pics, brilliant! :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Torridon_snails » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:38 pm

All superlatives have already been used to describe these photos! Don't think we've ever seen more spectacular/atmospheric photos of anywhere, ever!! We're full of admiration - having often dreamt of overnighting and sunrises etc... We did wild-camp near the bronze-age cairn west of Loch Eriboll one midsummer, which was magical, but not very high (about 1100 ft), and no clouds and special colours: actually the colours we remember most were the pink of the quartzite, and soft dusk at that time of year, and a distant hill-fox. Anyway, that was 15 years ago and we probably wouldn't have the confidence to do anything like what you did, or the strength to carry all the extra gear, food (if we were overnighting, which we probably would need to!) now. Your pictures mean we can live the dream in a way.

Lochnagar didn't look anything like that when we were up there!

The world would be a much happier place if everyone looked at pictures like these. Congratulations indeed... absolutely blew us away.
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby taylor94 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Nice photies.

Im planning on heading to Cac Carn Beag myself sometime soon hopfully.

Looks beautiful
taylor94

Postby Alastair S » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:09 am

I've just realized that there was been some activity on this report that happened when I was on my hols - so sorry for the slow response folks.... anyway

Dukie wrote:Sorry - missed the post re 550D - and having done Nevis via CMD with a 400D and basic lens couldn't agree more re compact camera - but what lens(es) did you use?
Would also suggest lens/camera be as waterproof as possible!

The lens is a Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM. This isn't one of Canon's pro quality L series but it is a step up from the kit lens you usually get with the 550D. It was/is a kit lens for the semi-pro Canon 7D. I use a Lowepro top loading case which I wear on my belt (a Rezo TLZ 20 - don't get the Cirrus TLZ 15, mine fell apart after 6 months). Means you have to keep your belt well tightened but it's dead easy getting the camera in & out. Has room for spare battery, memory cards, some basic cleaning bits & a polarizing filter. Copes with light rain & snow but if it gets heavy the whole lot goes in the backpack.

And thank you all again, especially Torridon_snails - you are too kind :oops:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Lenore » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Have been going back over your reports as the few I've seen so far are stunning; then came across this one... Wow!!! :clap: :clap: It's past midnight and I really need to go to bed, but your pictures are so pretty I just can't!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby weescotsman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:35 am

I've just seen this for the first time as well. Can only add to all the other comments, totally stunning, esp the video. I did the whole 5 summits back in August and I thought my pics were decent from my little camera but I'm just an amateur in comparison. Maybe when I win the lottery I will finally get some decent camera gear....

Not sure if you did win TR of the month for this but you should have....
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Peter913 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Fantastic shots there i like the inversion ones

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

39 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland